1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

To sleep or not to sleep?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Tuggy79, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuggy79

Tuggy79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are flying out from Scotland at 7am our time and with changeovers etc wont get to Caesars until 10.30pm on our clock. I think this is around 2.30pm Las Vegas time.

Do any of you longer travellers recommend going for an afternoon sleep? Or is it best to stay up to get onto Vegas time as soon as possible?

2. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sleep on the plane if you can!

If not, you might accidentally turn you nap at the hotel into a full night sleep.

How many days are you in Vegas for? - that would determine my answer.

Or I'd go out during the day but have a fairly laid back day and early night.

3. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd try to get a few hours of sleep in when you get to the hotel then wake up and go out to enjoy that first night. Daytime is sleepy time in Vegas for a lot of people. lol

But realistically, just do what your body dictates. If you're tired when you get there, sleep. If the adrenaline of arriving in Vegas has you amped up, go out and enjoy the town.

4. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont think you will be anywhere near ready to sleep when that plane lands! I have been up for 15-20 hours before arriving at the LV airport before and the adrenaline hits me like a bolt. I am good to go until my body just shuts down and says no more. Best bet is to sleep on the plane if you can, Ive never really been able to. Maybe 5 mins here and there, wife sleeps like we are in bed though, wish I knew how she does it!

5. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel overseas for a living. Flying from the US to New Zealand, South America and Europe at least 10 times a year for the last 20 years. I can say without a doubt if you want to get over jetlag you should ONLY sleep and eat the appropriate meals for the time zone you are visiting.

Try and get a little rest of the plane. When you get to Vegas, checkin, have a shower then go out and enjoy Vegas! My goal is normally to not go to bed before 8pm the night I arrive. By 8pm you should crash and sleep through to 5am or 6am. Then get up! (set the alarm). Each day move the clock by an hour two to get to your normally bed/getup time.

Be careful on the second night! This is usually the hardest night for jetlag. Try and stay up to 10pm that night.

6. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only once I have gone to bed when I have got there, the plan was a bit of sleep before having a walk around after arriving about 6pm , my bit of sleep turned into a full night and I woke next morning. Now I go out after I have unpacked and had a shower, even though your body is tired I think the excitement of being there is too much to resist I know it is for me.

7. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to suggest something different, but since this person has the experience, then the above is better advice.

The way I read it, you leave at 7:00AM, so you are probably up 4:00AM (or earlier) to make your 7:00am flight. So by 10:30 your time, you have been up a full day already.

I was thinking if you push Vegas too hard the first day without any rest, it could ruin it for quite a few days after. Not sure if this is sound advice, but I was thinking after you check in, have a good meal, shower and go to bed for 4 hours. If you wake up and have that terrible sleepy hangover feeling, give it another 2 hours but no more!

Then give it hell for 6 hours to something like 4:00 -5:00am Vegas time with some simple snack type food thrown in there somewhere. That's six hours of drinking and that is enough for day one! Drink plenty of water while you are drinking that first night (and every night). Then crash till Noon, and you still have most of the 2nd day, without feeling you missed out totally on the first day.

But then again, this may not be the way to do it. The other way is likely more logical, but my mind and body doesn't do logical in Vegas. :evillaugh

One time we were up at 3:30am to make a 6:20am flight from the east coast and plane changes in Dallas. By the time we got in Vegas and check in, it was 2:30PM Vegas time. The temptation to go out and play was massive, but we felt tired, so we went to bed for the rest of the afternoon.

For us, it was the best thing we could have done. Still al little sleepy that first night, but felt well rested, instead of the walking dead! :faint:

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had a long flight or anything. But, I have worked crazy shifts. If you can get up from a nap without it being a small coma, go ahead and nap. I think an afternoon nap is a good practice in Vegas.

9. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew out of London and landed in Vegas about the same time. Managed to last till about 7PM before crashing out for 6 hours. It's worth sleeping for at least a few hours at some point if you can to try get yourself on the timezone, bearing in mind if you try go out in the evening at 10pm, it'll be 5am on your clock by that point and you'll have been up 24 hours.

Edit - The thing that takes it out you is the 12 hour + flight. It shouldn't be tiring, but it is.

10. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are in the same time zone as Las Vegas and when we get there to our hotel, usually 12:30-2PM in the afternoon, we go for a nap :) :) :)

11. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've made the mistake of going way too hard during the day when flying in early and been passed out at midnight, or i've done the nap during the evening and go until 5AM thing, and i've done the whole land at 11PM after a long day of work and OD on Red Bull and get hammered thing. You will have fun no matter what but dont kill your body just because you feel like you need to be up.

After all of that travel, I would probably just say set an alarm on your phone and napfor a few hours. You will be good to go for the evening.

12. Kiwicol

Kiwicol Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like Kiwiboy I have done it from NZ and London before.

From the time I leave my house here until I get to Vegas is a minimum of 15 hours flying time plus 3 + hours at airports in NZ and probably another 2+ at LAX (God forbid) or SFO (good bar at least) - and that is after leaving my house mid afternoon (ie been up all day already).

I normally get into Vegas around 5pm or later - quick freshen up and go until midnight at least. Next day I am up early usually but ready to go.

I did do 5am first night once and that wasnt quite so smart...:grrr:

So stay up for a while as Kiwiboy said.

13. Kickin

Kickin Flea

+1 to this. Also to add another tip is to eat as little as possible prior to and during your travel. Staying up on an empty stomach helps your body adjust a lot quicker.

14. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the main thing that will probably decide it for you is are you looking to stay out late on your first night?

If so, I'd sleep, as you'll wreck your body otherwise which will take a day or 2 to recover. If your content with finishing up early and heading to bed at a "regular" time of 10-12pm, then I'd probably stay up using the tips provided.

15. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once a group of us were going to a country festival for 4 days and i had katy perry tickets for the night before we were to leave for my son's birthday. i got home @ 1am and the plan had been decided that is when we would leave so we would get there during the day rather than at night.

So we drive all night and get there about 10am, but due to flooding they moved the camping offsite and we had no idea where the spot was because the map was not correct now. So they told us where we should be but we could not find our campsite because people had taken out the sticks to mark them. Finally get it done and set up @ 2pm. The plan had been to sleep, and we should have, because the concert that night was one of my husband's favorites, Johnny Reid.

They all decided they needed a beer after all that, and proceeded to get drunk, we were all passed out by 6-7pm and i was the only one awake at concert time and could not get any of them up. They were all pissed off they missed it the next day and i kept saying "i tried to tell ya".

Point being...........sleep when it suits you best, but decide what it is you want to do when you get there, out at night, or out during the afternoon when it isn't so lively?

16. Tuggy79

Tuggy79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the replies. It's our first visit to Vegas so we will undoubtedly be buzzing when we arrive but like some of you have said we dont want to overdo it and struggle for the next couple of days.

We are in Vegas for a week so it maybe will be best to try and stay up til 9-10pm Vegas time then set the alarm for 9am the next morning.

17. Tuggy79

Tuggy79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could sleep standing up in a wardrobe so I will probably get a few hours on the plane but my wife won't and will be awake the whole time. Some good tips though, I appreciate it

18. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we are on the same page.

I was going to say that when my wife and I get to Vegas we usually go straight to bed.

19. kevhoofd

kevhoofd Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my first trip a wise woman from Canada told me:"Sleep?? at home you can sleep!!":nworthy:

20. James123

James123 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having flown long(ish) distance for work on average 20-30 times a year for the past 5 years, I agree 100% with Kiwiboy. Contrary to what some others are saying, you should absolutely NOT just do what your body wants. You need to train your body. When you arrive don't sleep until at least 8pm and don't sleep longer than 9 hours absolutely maximum. Much better to fight through first day and get over jet lag early. Anyway if the adrenaline of Vegas can't keep you up those 5 hours, you came to the wrong place!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.