1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2014 mens ncaa basketball championship

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by kitson, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

i get to go, tomorrow, for nine nights, so am looking forward to betting some college basketball games, and also placing a bet on the championship. i always bet on duke and michigan state, because izzo and coach k can jump up any time.

might be a slam dunk for syracuse this year, and the odds to match, so probably will not go there.

are wichita state or san diego state for real?

any insights or advice will be appreciated!

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    San Diego State, no. The Shockers, possibly. By this time of year, I usually rate the handful of teams that I believe have a legitimate shot to win it all and for me, the Shockers are just outside the top names on my list. I see them as a Sweet 16/EE kind of team.

If you want a longer shot that is on the cusp of championship contention, I would go with Villanova. That ugly loss to Creighton pushed the odds on Nova to 50-1. They can score and defend. Only down side is that they are very reliant on the jump shot. But hey, at 50-1, I like the value

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. nsideirish

nsideirish Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going with the dark horse theme, I think there is some good value to be had with Virginia and UConn.

4. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Virginia as an upset team, but don't like UCONN. Virginia plays excellent D. I have them in my top 14

The plans have changed
  5. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget the Wolverines at 25-1. Proven winner for a coach and lots of shooters, they've shown what they can do if they get hot when they beat 3 top-10 teams in an 8 day period including 2 on the road. Not to mention they showed the moxie to get to the national final last year. Might be worth a decent sized bet at 25-1.

6. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I throw the Wolverines in the same bucket as my Cats. Lots of offense, terribly inconsistent defense and, at times, lax effort. Maybe a sweet 16 team. Think that is as far as they go this year

The plans have changed
  7. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

thank for the input so far, lovin it! villanova i have not seen play, virginia a possible, though i just do not like little bennett for the way he snuck out of town on the cougs at wsu.

like the big ten teams, including michigan, but it just seems like they beat each other up so much during the season, and then a tourney, that they all just fall flat by elite 8 or final four time.

interesting to me that no one mentioned kansas, or syracuse, or arizona...is everyone just looking for longshots?

keep it coming, i will check this in the morning again before i leave!

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll take Syracuse Thank You!!! Gimme The Blue Devils of Duke as my back-up.

9. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an alum of the two highest ranked schools in Kansas, I'm practically obligated to bet on each of them ;)

In late August I bet on Wichita State to win the NCAA tourney with 75:1 odds. Also bet on Kansas at 9:2 odds.

I can't wait for March!

10. jingber05

jingber05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i like Duke to win it this year. they should be ranked higher then 8. they really shoot the 3 ball. dangerous team to get hot

11. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will also take Cuse. Will not be a good payout but mostlikely $$$ back

Are taking taking any games once you get in tonight. Duke looks good vs UNC

12. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Michigan State over Kansas is my pick as of right now. I haven't seen much outside of the Big Ten though. Michigan is inconsistent defensively; Ohio State can't throw it in the ocean.

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew-up in Ohio (Akron) and still have a soft spot in my heart for all things Ohio State... the last several minutes of the game last night against the hated Michigan was just awful! You're so right about not being able to "throw it in the ocean." It was painful to watch.

14. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Syracuse hasn't played anyone on the road (or a neutral court for that matter). Not sure why so much love for them? They aren't even favored tonight at Pitt.

I do like Virginia and Villanova for decently priced odds.

Syracuse has a nice team, but no way would I lay the short odds on them to win the title.

With respect to the highly ranked teams, I like Florida the best.

15. Vegas dreaming

Vegas dreaming Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if I were going to vegas soon, I would make a futures bet on fla to win it all.
    Fla plays the best defense I've seen since the 90's UK & Ark teams. For those of you who don't remember, those teams were defensive juggernauts. Fla is right there with them in that category. Their defense is good enough to cover for their offensive deficiencies.
    I hate to say this but I think they win at Rupp arena on saturday. This is coming from a diehard blue-bleeding Cats fan also.

16. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Florida plays great D, but I'm not sold on their offense and the SEC is weak. I think their numbers are inflated a bit by that.

And as an aside, which UK team form the 90's was a defensive juggernaut??? I loved those teams, but never remember a true defensive juggernaut. The defense of the team from two years ago was vastly better than any defensive team the Cats fielded I the 90's.

The plans have changed
  17. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't follow Basketball that much myself, but a friend told me to back Arizona in the summer, and I have $50 on them at 15/1.

18. Vegas dreaming

Vegas dreaming Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    96 & 97 teams with their press

19. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solid defensive teams, but hardly juggernauts. I watched every minute of every game for the 96 team (my all-time favorite college bball team!) and the press was really only effective against weak teams. That year, teams with solid backcourts (Georgia, UMASS, Miss St, Iowa) were able to hang with UK because the press wasn't really effective. And Pope was not exactly a killer rim protector at center. Awesome team, though! :thumbsup:

The plans have changed
  20. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent odds! I think the injury bug may stop them in the end, but they are in my handful of teams that I think could win it all. Good luck!

The plans have changed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.