1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Red Rock Canyon tour recommendations?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by muskokacam, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muskokacam

muskokacam Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi there. I was wondering if people could chime in with their recommendations for Red Rock tour companies. I would like to know your experience with them (cost, duration, fun factor etc.). I hope to do dome hiking on the tour and am not looking to rent a car.

Thanks.

2. Piston12

Piston12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We visited Red Rock last year. There were 4 of us and the cheapest tour we found was $60 per person so we figured we should just rent a car. For our entire 3 day stay car rental was around $80.

A drive to Red Rock will be 40ish minutes. I like driving yourself because it allows you to go at your pace. We did a the Calico Tanks hike and then were able to hit In N Out burger on the way home.

3. muskokacam

muskokacam Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad that you had a good time.

4. sandman748

sandman748 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went with a company called Hike This!. I'm pretty sure its a one man show. I think it was slightly over 100 per person (2 of us) and that included the hotel pickup, park fees, and a small lunch (if I remember right it was more of a snack. Granola bars and vegetables etc..)

Overall we were very happy with it. He offered several different routes up to the top of an overlook that let you see the whole valley. He caters to your overall fitness level. He took pictures and emailed them to us after.

Check his reviews on tripadvisor. One thing to keep in mind is that it is more of a guided hike of one part of the red rock area, rather than a tour of the whole area in general. Although he does do the scenic loop on the way out.

5. muskokacam

muskokacam Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info about this company. I will look into it and keep it in mind.I appreciate the help.

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd recommend just renting a car and hitting some trails yourself. The cost of getting on Red Rock is only like $7 per car.

I always rent a car for the Vegas trip anyway so I can't imagine paying a tour company to simply walk ahead of me on trail that I could hike myself.

8. nystocktrader

nystocktrader Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without a doubt, rent a car. With a tour, you go on THEIR schedule.

We expected to go for about 90 minutes. We were there for about 5-6 hours.
    Had a blast. Hiking, going places we never thought we'd go. Wife and kids LOVED it. Was the highlight of their trip. Also, was the first time in 30 trips I've ever left Strip area (2 downtown visits).

Rent the car. Enjoy, then post up pics.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Icedgenes

Icedgenes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also looking for hiking tour options at Red Rock and I hope more people post.

Renting a car would allow more freedom to explore but I am looking for freedom from driving : ). The day rates I have seen start at $40/day (for Payless which had awful internet reviews) but they all add on another $50 in fees. Still cheaper than a tour but the tour guide would be nice as well.

Anymore feedback out there>?

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, look up car rental codes and try Priceline.

12. jackincols

jackincols Guest

I'm with the 1 day rent a car crowd. I doubt very much that any tour is going to let you do your "dome hiking" otherwise.

13. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With cheap rental car rates, the convenience of the airport rental, and long-hauling, I don't get the use of limos, renting cars from hotels, and cabbing everywhere.

I do get the niche of folk that will stay on the strip and go nowhere else but then I hear of the long haul and cabbing everywhere and I throw logic out the window.

We rent a car no matter what and are unencumbered by anything except drunkenness. Too drunk to drive, gamble a bit/chill out before getting back behind the wheel.

14. Nikegirl128

Nikegirl128 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you haven't gone yet, or for anyone else interested. Groupon has a deal right now for a red rock tour for 2 with scoot city tours. Looks like fun. They stop at a few different locations for you to explore for a bit (hike, take pictures, ect.) They will pick you up and drop you back off at your hotel. About a 5 hour tour.

15. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're doing the Scooters in May, also with the Groupon, looks fun and highly rated.

16. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife had Red Rock scoot tour booked last October. It was cancelled when Feds ran out of money and closed parks. She went on city tour instead and enjoyed it. She will do Red Rock on next trip...Sept???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.