1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which LED television should I buy?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by JWBlue, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My eyes are bleeding from the 10,000,000,000,000 reviews I have read this past week.

My decision will be based on whether I need a 60 mgz refresh rate or 120 ghz.

I watch a lot of sports, but don't play video games. Common sense tells me that refresh and the accompompanying motion interpolation are important.

On the other hand, this article states that refresh rate is essentially meaningless and it is motion interpolation option or the 24p playback that is important.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-refresh-rate

I was looking at these sets.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-50LN5200-led-tv/technical-specifications none

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-50LN5400-led-tv

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50EH5000FXZA

The LG is essentially 120 ghz, but can not be turned off. This is supposed to be a negative. I am considering the new Vizio M Series as well which will have 240 ghz.

It seems like every store I go into is playing some video other than sports which is not where the benefits of the higher refresh is beneficial.

My head is going to explode.

Pricing:

LN5200 $567.00
    LN5400 $649.00
    EH5000 $598.00
    Vizio M $825.00

2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 60 and a 120 and you can tell the difference when it comes to sport.

go 120.

and I'm becoming a Samsung slut so I'd go for that. (actually my tv is pretty much the only major electrics in my house that isn't Samsung....)

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bought an LG 47", 3D, with 120 Hz refresh a couple years ago for the befroom and would buy the same set today, which says a lot. (Sure, we don't watch much 3D from Comcast or blue-ray, but it's amazingly fun when we do. And while the active shutter method Samsung uses is supposedly better, we did a lot of comparisons before opting for LG's passive 3D approach. Just something else to gum up the works if 3D is a consideration.)

We have another HDTV downstairs with a 60 Hz refresh and can't tell the difference. Likewise, a few months ago, I bought my kid pretty much the same LG, but 42" with a 60 Hz refresh (at a terrific closeout price). Again, we can't see a difference.

I can't remember the issue, but I think a year or so ago Maximum PC magazine conducted a subjective test with various monitors having 60, 120, and 240 Hz refresh rates. They used cardboard cutouts to disguise the brands, as not to bias their test subjects. Let's just say the results were interestingly inconclusive. IMHO, 240 Hz is a waste of money, and the difference between the other two may or may not be worth it. (Oh, we have another LG in the computer room and just got a new Samsung monitor this week, but that's a different subject.) Happy shopping!

4. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a Sharp 60" 120 hz, love it and glad I finally made decision on it. The thing with tv's is you can look at reviews for days on them and sometimes talk yourself out of the one you want several times. Really as long as you get a good name brand these days, you will be happy with it. Plus, once it is in your house you will have nothing to compare it to except your old TV and you WILL be happy with your choice, trust me!

5. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everything said here expresses my feelings on this topic 100%. Mikenhe is my TV soul mate.

6. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur that a 120 refresh rate makes a huge difference. At first, you have to get used to the fact that everything looks like it's sped up, but once you get used to it you'll really appreciate the fluidity of movement on the screen. Just make sure you get a quality set so you don't have blur. We got a nice 55" LG model SmartTV and it's been wonderful for watching sports.

7. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A funny aside, I am not a big tech guy, I rely largely on reviews to guide my purchase. I snapped up an LG 50in the week after Xmas largely based on an online independent review. It was delivered and I have been quite disapointed. That is until this morning when the Direct TV box prompted asking if I would like to turn on the 1080 compatibiity?? I pressed yes very quickly and now the picture is amazing!! I have been apparently watching in 480 for the last month!!

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    120. Samsung.

9. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alright. This is what I have narrowed it down to. Specs are essentially the same except for refresh rate and Clear Motion Rate.

> Samsung UN50EH6000F :120 Hz (Samsung Clear Motion Rate :240)

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50EH6000FXZA-specs

Price : $757.00 out the door.

> Samsung UN50EH5000 ; 60 Hz (Samsung Clear Motion Rate:120)

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50EH5000FXZA-specs

Price : $598.00 out the door.

Samsung claims that the Clear Motion Rate is the essential refresh rate. The link above says otherwise. It says the refresh rate is essentially half the number (e.g. 120 CMR = 60 Gz)

Do I pay the extra $159?

10. kelly90900

kelly90900 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plasma

I am firm believer in Plasma tv's

You will see in next year that LCD tv's will be on the out and LED and Plasma will pretty much be the mainstay

600hz
    Display Format: 1080p (FullHD)
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Image Contrast Ratio: 4000000:1

This is a great deal---Do research on your own you will find Plasma's are back and their here to stay

http://www.walmart.com/ip/33680101?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227022325124&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=34407061021&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=62989128061&veh=sem

11. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken and I agree again....Samsung all the way. I currently have 3 Samsung TV's in my house, Samsung SmartPhone, Samsung Tablet, I'm a Samsung fan, never have had issues with any of their products.

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That pricing for 40-42" models? Ouch!

I paid around that at Target for my Vizio 55". IMHO, unless they come with all kinds of bells and whistles the name brands are pretty close to the same and anything with 1080P with at least 120hz at a price close to or under $10-13 per inch gets my attention (the higher end will be TVs with wifi and apps though.)

For the most part, I shop sales or clearance. Like just this week, I saw a Samsung 50" 1080P/120hz (still in the box) at Target on clearance for $650. Also, don't be afraid to look at refurb TVs that you can get a relatively low priced extended warranty on.

Also, make sure you have a HD satellite or cable box like Ron said above. If you don't, then the only time you'll get to experience what the TV can really do is when your watching blurays.

To sum up my recommendations:
    1080P with at least 120hz at the biggest screen size you can fit in your room, then shop on price.

13. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My only concern about the Samsung is it is a 2012 model.

For the same price I can get a Vizio 2014 M series. Essentially the same specifications I need.

Vizio :

http://ces.vizio.com/m-series.html#skip

Am I paying for old technology?

Is a 2012 Samsung > 2014 Vizio M ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  14. kelly90900

kelly90900 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reading about the Samsung Auto Motion Plus and a lot people having issues even when disabling it.

2014 Vizio gaining ground.

16. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hahah!!

The first thread in forum history that has agreement from all those repying - and you are ignoring it!!

awesome :thumbsup:

17. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to spend a few extra bucks and get the 2013 version of the Samsung UN55EH6000

The UN55EH6003

18. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's more like it!! :thumbsup:

19. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a 2013 60" Vizio smart TV........but the damn thing turns it's self off 1 to 2 times daily for no reason......other then that it's fine.....but I will not get another Vizio TV....sister in-law says her Vizio does the same thing....

HUGE difference on 60 compared to 120kz.......just watch the bottom line on a 60kz as it scrolls across the screen....it blurry......

Now does anyone know if any manufacture builds a small HD TV around 20-25" that has 120 kz's ? ? ? I can't find any....

20. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been happy with Sony's TVs and have them in most the rooms.
    About a year or so ago upgraded from 50-60 inch about the time 120 was coming out.
    Didn't notice much on the 50 but on the 60 I can say that I do notice some things when sports or some car scene chases that it just doesn't transition smoothly. It isn't bad, but just something I notice.

The 120 was new at the time and the only reason for not getting it is because I struck an awesome deal for the 60 inch floor model or else I would have paid for the 120.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.