1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

October Work and Degenerate Gambling, What A Combo

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by sconnie, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sconnie

sconnie Downtown Kinda Guy

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I'm late writing this trip up. I was in Vegas in early October 2013 for business, stayed at Venetian for a convention at the Sands. Only managed to really get out one night, but what a night it was.

Got up at 4am to fly out on SW from MKE. Almost didn't make the flight because I forgot that I had a hunting pocket knife in my backpack. It had a 4 1/2" blade, they couldn't just throw my favorite knife away, they had to have a sheriff deputy talk to me. I thought I was gonna get delayed and miss my flight, but they were really cool and I made my flight with time to spare.

Got to Vegas, picked up rental can and off to V for check in and working in the trade show exhibit hall. After 4 hours of that, I took a nap and snuck DT to MSS for a quick sushi dinner and a quick $75 win at BJ. Then back to V for a business function from 7-9pm. Up to room, changed and back in rental to MSS to gamble.

Plan was to gamble a bit, have a few beers and see how the night went. Bought in for $100 at a $5 table and started playing $5-$10 per hand about 11pm. Had the cocktail waitress bringing me frequent refills. VERY frequent it turns out. :drunk:

The next thing I know, I've got this bright light shining into my right eye, I turn my head that way and see that the sun's up, its 7:00am. I look down at my chips and all of my reds are gone. Magically replaced by stacks of greens and a stack of black chips. :nworthy:

I have no idea what I actually did, between probably 15 or more beers and being up for close to 28 hours straight, I'm a bit foggy. But somehow, I managed to turn $100 into $1800 or so. I lost a few hands at $75 each and decided it was time to call it a day(s).

Colored up and cashed out. Needed something to eat so over to Dupars at GG for some pancakes. Ate those and realized that there was no way that I could/should be driving back to the V. I went back to MSS and talked to the floor man where I was playing and he was nice enough to give a drunk winner a room to crash in. 4 hours or so of sleep and it was back to the V to clean up and work more in the exhibit hall. Let's just say that it was a long, long, long day.

Company dinner at Tao that night was great, but I was only good for about 45 minutes afterwards and it was off to bed for me. Did a bit of gambling the next day as time allowed and flew home a significant winner (for me anyway).

Just wish that I knew how I did it! Hoping to repeat the win in about 10 days when I'm back DT with the wife this time!

Sconnie

2. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed your report....thanks for posting. Sure sound like a good time at the table!! congrats....

3. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, reminds me of a marathon poker session I had at MGM years ago. Bought in for 200, drank a lot, ran in up to about 1200 (no idea how), donked it all off down to about 180 (also no idea) and finally cashed out about 9am at 400. I wish I knew how I did any of it -- especially why I didn't cash out shortly after hitting 1200. Oh well, I am sure I had a good time! Thanks for sharing your story with us

4. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love this story, maybe what I'm doing wrong is not drinking enough. Next trip I have a plan!

TomTWI

5. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We need to talk GT and CW into letting us head out to Vegas together sometime. You can get me back into poker rooms and I'll get you to bruise your liver pretty good a few times!

I did to an all night poker session once, bought into the IP room for about $80 at 9pm or so. Realized much later that the cocktail waitress had been replaced by the coffee, doughnuts and OJ lady, sun was up and once again, I had to be in an exhibit hall in hours. Cashed out with about $60 for the night.

My business partner was in rough shape, he found that he liked green bottle beer and that he could beat the ATM just about every time. Not so much for any of the other "games".

I flew home on the red eye that night, was absolutely worn out. Thank goodness I went to "bed" at 8:45 and got to sleep until 9:30, but sober!

Ahhh, the things that we do in Vegas!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:

This is an excellent idea! I'm way over do for a boys trip.

7. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at putting one together with an other eyeball jockey in May or so. If it happens, I'll let you know. He's a much "bigger wheel" than I am, but its fun to live in his shadow!

JW

8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fly to the inlaws and back home. Was emptying out the camera bag which I take to the range some times and found there was a .30-06 round in the bag. Good to know that airport security is working so well. :rolleyes2:

Congrats on your score. :beer:

9. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shoulda asked them to mail the knife to you. That is what they offered for me when i forgot i had a pocket knife in my purse. The cost would have been worth more than that knife (like 15 or so) so i told them no, discard it.

10. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blade was too long, they had to have a sheriff's deputy interview me, he could have kept me from flying that day. No way that they would have let me keep the knife, even if I wanted to take it back to my car.

I felt really stupid, and it was my favorite Kershaw knife!

JW

11. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

You have all the info you need. :)

Go to Table
    Put down $100
    Drink until you can't remember
    ????
    Profit

All you need to do is believe. :)

12. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Advice

Now that is very good advice!

:beer:

13. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. I'm gonna try it out next Thursday night! Staying at GN, got a $39 per night offer so we're there the first night then at the Cal for the next 2 nights. I'll have to be able to make it from the Cal or MSS to GN, but I can do that in a pretty "happy" state!

Look for a report.......

14. 33hard6

33hard6 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrads on the win.

15. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wow, now that's confidence! I feel the pressure already. Or were you talking about the original trip? I'm hoping its confidence and that its well placed!

JW

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  16. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So that's what I've been doing wrong. I'll have to tip the "nurse" really well on the first drink, and do a Back to School bit... Bring me one every 15 min until I can't see straight, then 1 every 5. :thumbsup: :drunk:

17. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm afraid that's what it took for lightening to strike me!

JW

18. monczkia

monczkia Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for writing this. Sounds like you had a good time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.