1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Oysters on the half shell

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by toofunnie, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toofunnie

toofunnie Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello,

I am looking for opinions on the best place to eat oysters on the half shell in Vegas. The only place we have tried recently was the Oyster restaurant in Harrahs. It was good, just wondering if there is any place better.

Thanks!

T-25

2. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally I like The Oyster Bar at Palace Station. You don't have options as to what kind of oysters you get but the one they have are mild and sweet. The only thing I didn't like was the last time was that they were too big.

For a good deal PJ Clarkes in the Caesars forum shops has a $1 happy hour special. They rotate which ones they serve for the happy hour but if you wanna pay full price they usually have a few different options

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the happy hour oysters at PJClarkes last year- yum AND a good price!

4. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in Vegas for CES and tried to go to P J clarkes and it has closed.

5. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man that stinks.... I just checked their webpage and the LV location is no longer listed. The oyster happy hour and 2 for $100 meal with a bottle of wine was awesome. Too bad they closed.

6. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe the article I read said they were going to open a Border Grill in its spot.

7. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    joes in the forum mall

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if it's better but it sure is fresh and succulent!! I'm talking about Big Al's Oyster Bar at the Orleans. Cold, fresh, sweet and juicy!

I ordered the half dozen because my brother -in-law said he didn't want any. Our wives are not raw seafood eaters so I figured I have all 6 oysters to myself.

Well. he tried one and next thing you know he starts to eat half of my order, lol! He really liked it, and so did I. I kept saying (in fun) "Stop it! Stop it! You're eating my food!" but he couldn't help himself. Ended up we ordered a dozen more oysters between us.

Good Stuff! Try Al's next time you're at the Orleans. :beer::thumbsup:

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PJ's was very good and they had that daily happy hour special. But alas, as said above, it closed last year.

10. HBCDiver

HBCDiver Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    American Fish at Aria during happy hour. Runs from 5-7. We've been three times. 3 dollars each and excellent, especially combined with a special cocktail.

HBC

11. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friday night at the M seafood night buffet has very good ones when I was there a few weeks ago.
    Got my moneys worth for the buffett in oysters darn near alone. Plus split crab legs and mussels
    baked with cheeses and I was in heaven.

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Emerils New Orleans Fish House at the MGM has a happy hour special 4-6pm at the bar, $1.50 oysters. Never been to this one.

The bar in the R Steak House at the Riviera has a happy hour special, 4 oysters for $5. These were East Coast oysters, probably blue points. D.O.C.G in the Cosmo has Kushi Oysters during happy hour for $7 listed as as a "small plate". Not sure how many you get. Comme Ca has $2 oysters in the bar between 5-10 pm.

I had my first raw oyster only a few years ago so I'm making up for lost time and will seek out happy hours with buck a shuck specials. The best deal I found was in Key West, two for a buck.

13. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No.... Wait!

Are you really saying each Oyster is $3 each?

I am reading this wrong, right?

For that is $36 a dozen, and this sounds so much like the
    NEW VEGAS, but I did not think CET and Mfile was getting that greedy.

So.... Really? :eek:

14. SelfMade

SelfMade Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $3/oyster sounds about average for a non-happy hour time slot. I know that's at least the pretty much consensus price around town in NYC which has great access to Blue Points.

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, $3 is about the going rate, but in Greenwich Village, a restaurant Named Fish has an all day special: 6 blue points and a Pabst for $8. Had three on my last visit.

16. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a half dozen at Wild Edibles on my last trip to NYC - I love oysters but don't eat them often enough to know the differences in varieties. My server set me up with 3 different east coast and 3 different west coast options - what fun to taste!!!

http://www.wildedibles.com/menu.cfm

My husband said his appetizer was the best clam chowder he has ever had (New England style) And we've had some pretty good chowder over the years:peace:

17. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am staying at the Cosmopolitan in 2 weeks (yay!) and I noticed that Comme Ca has oysters on the half shell on the lounge menu, $2. It's the happy hour menu, so perhaps they are only available from 5-10 pm?

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  18. SelfMade

SelfMade Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mermaid oyster Bar on MacDougal St has $1 oyster for their 7 day/week Happy hour. I think I've had something like 90% of the oyster I've had in my life at that place.

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a difference between the East Coast and west coast oyster, they are two different species. With that said, the environment, nutrients, water salinity water temprature all come to into play. The same seed when grown to maturity can tast different based on where its raised. Some of my favorites are from Virginia and there can be a slight taste difference even thought both may be raised just miles apart.

Here's an article from a few months ago about bars around the NYC metro area with buck a shuck oyster specials. http://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-york/50-amazing-oyster-happy-hours-in-nyc I have it bookmarked just in case.

Fortunately, I have two local bars that feature $1 oysters and one of them has Arrogant Bastard on tap. Throw in a plate of seared tuna and it really does not get much better than this. It's pretty tough to shell out $3 for an oyster when I can dig up a buck a shuck special. Puns intended.

Each oyster filters 50 gallons of water a day, so they are great for the environment too. Some old oyster harvester told me that at the turn of the century, not the last turn, the per capita consumption was around 4 lbs per year. Now its .4 lbs. What an opportunity for growth!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.