1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Atlanta's CLOSED

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Turtleman, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure glad my upcoming Vegas trip isn't starting today. Aside from not being able to get to the airport, the flight's cancelled anyway! Snow, rare for here, was in yesterday's forecast, but no one thought it would amount to much. But while the accumulation was only an inch or so, it quickly turned to ice and the roads became impassable.

If you've watched the national news, then you know how bad it was – a thousand accidents and total gridlock. Thousands of poor people were stuck in their cars going nowhere for as much as 16 hours! In fact, some are STILL in their cars, probably out of gas, with temperatures in the low teens. The interstates are parking lots, abandoned cars everywhere, and plenty of jackknifed trailers. The governor has declared a state of emergency - totally unreal. Atlanta traffic is notoriously bad under the best conditions, but ice and everyone trying to get home at the same time turned the situation into a disaster. Turn on CNN or access some of the Atlanta TV websites – it's something to see.

www.businessinsider.com/atlanta-traffic-jam-pictures-2014-1

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man... I know, it's CRAZY!!! And here we sit at Lake Tahoe begging for moisture of any kind, preferably snow. The snow pack right now is less than 15% of normal.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drove through Atlanta one time on a cross country trip and hit about a quarter inch of snow in the city. We couldn't believe how severely it affects traffic.

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a friend that is living in Alabama, she posted on facebook that so many cars were stuck or wrecked it literally shut the roads down. The school her kids go to did not run buses home and let the kids stay overnight!

5. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After I moved away from Philly I spent time in Alabama (military brat) and I am now in Houston (moved here after college in PA). Seeing wintry conditions in the south amuses me.

In Houston we had ice last Friday and it shut the city down. Then we had a smaller ice event Tuesday and the damn threat of the ice shut the city down. I mean...the news was telling people to pack survival kits in their cars. Hilarious.

6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They say it's pretty bad down there...
    AtlantaSnow.jpg

7. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yeah I feel bad laughing at what's going on down there since its obviously really hard on people. But it just feels like something out of a Simpsons episode hearing about all the problems they're having because of a couple inches of snow. Over here that much snow is barely noticed.

8. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep...I have had to dig my truck out of a foot of snow to go to work in PA but now a flurry flies and mass hysteria. Fringe benefit of living in the south! Free off days.

What is weird is the last time we had an ice event? A couple years ago the week of my SB trip to Vegas. So if I am going to Vegas for the SB Houston is destined to get icy.

9. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got about 3 inches of snow here in East MS on Tuesday. Because of that blizzard, tomorrow (Thursday) will be my third day off from school. I was actually hoping that we would work tomorrow. The problem is that the temperature never got above 30 today so there was very little melting of the stuff we had on the ground. We have next to none of the equipment (plows, salt trucks) that allows our Northern neighbors to weather conditions much worse than ours with a lot less disruption. I think this is the first day we have lost to snow in 3-4 years so the people in charge tend to overreact when we do get a little snow.(or sometimes even the threat of snow) Those two factors and the lack of experience driving on frozen streets for 90% of our drivers make even a few inches a major catastrophe around here. Luckily there have been very few power outages so most everyone has heat.

10. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell me about it! We were up at Mt. Rose on Sunday...man! Hardly any snow at all!

11. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ha!! that's the image I thought of when I saw the news.

3 inches of snow and it does that.. really..

12. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For sure, having a couple inches of snow shutting down a major city is inexcusable. The problem, however, wasn't so much the snow – it was ice! Say what you will, but driving on ice is nearly impossible, especially on the many hills we have. And everyone hitting the streets at the same time made a bad situation infinitely worse.

I began writing out my take on the blame game, but there's enough of that already on the Net if you're interesting. Suffice it to say, there's more than enough to go around, though I'll place most of it on the governor. He blamed the mess on bad weather forecasts, which is far from the truth. Weathermen often get it wrong, but they were right this time and gave ample warning.

Oh well, I'll be on my way to Vegas three weeks from now and hopefully won't have any more bad weather to contend with in the meantime.

13. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm working from home for the 2nd day because it was -3 when I got up this morning in NC and there's no way the roads for half my commute will be in decent conditions. So I watched the Today show. Man is Al Roker PISSED that the gov of GA is blaming the meteorologists! He says (rightly!) that he's messed up a LOT and had lots of experience admitting to his mistakes, but then he goes through the timeline of when the weather advisories were released to show that THIS time was not the fault of the meteorologists! I don't blame him - it's true.

It's a mess, and it's just different down here. There's no (or less, at the very least) infrastructure to handle the temperatures or the precipitation. I grew up in New England, I lived in the Intermountain West and I can tell you that NC is nothing like either of those places. At all. For one thing, though it is below zero today, we're expecting a temp of 69 on Sunday ;-) Hopefully the ice will all melt by then:ssst:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.