1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your Favorite Crab

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excluding your S.O., what is your favorite crab?

I recently tried Dungeness for the first time and found it to be the best I have had.

In order, I would say Dungeness, Alaskan King, Alaskan Snow, Argentine Red.

P.S. The one's you got from Rhonda Rottencrotch from the corner tap room don't count.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep... we love Dungeness the best. Alaskan is easier to deal with and you get sooo much meat, but we prefer Dungeness. We have a lot of AYCE crab-feed fundraisers in our area that we like to go to. You sit at a table covered with newspaper and just go to town on the Dungeness crabs. I've learned to tear them apart pretty good!

There's two-(2) kinds of people... there are the ones that don't touch the meat until they've extracted it from several crabs and have a nice mound of of meat in front of them and those like me, who put pieces in in their mouth as soon as they get it outta the shell. I wish I had the patience to be the "mound" kind, but willpower has NEVER been my strong-suit!

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm in the Keys, give me stone. Out here, dungeness. King's always good and since king travels well and most most most and most all of it is cooked/flash frozen up north, it is the same most everywhere.

We don't bother with stone crab.

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being from Baltimore, blue crab is my favorite. (Anyone from the Chesapeake Bay area will understand!) Other than that, I actually prefer snow crab over the more expensive and harder to find on buffets King crab. I not only find them only tastier, but don't tear up my hands handling the spiny King crab shells. I even bring a small packet of Old Bay Seasoning. Again, anyone from Baltimore will understand.

5. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got all my crab gear and boat ready to go finally. now I just have to wait around for Dungeness season to open :beer:

They had a winter season but there was always a reason I couldn't go. When the weather and water were good I had other plans. When I had nothing going on the water was to rough for my little 15' runabout. :grrr:

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blue is good.

It's really just all about eating as local as possible. Not going to Victoria, BC, and asking for a freakin' carnitas burrito.

Old Bay. This native Left Coaster always has that on hand. And it's not just for the annual shrimp boil.

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG, I forgot blue!! Nothing like going to one of those little crab shacks that are all over the Chesapeake area for a dozen steamed #1's and a pitcher of cold beer. Can't believe I left them off my list!

By God, Cap! I'm slippin'.

:beer:

8. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stone crab is amazing but spendy!

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always wanted to go to Joe's Stone Crab in Vegas but never made it. Next time, for sure!

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get 'em boiled, steamed, fried crab cakes, broiled crab cakes, deviled, crab cocktail, au gratin, stuffed, crab dip, crab salad, she crab soup, crabmeat sushi, fried crab balls......what did I miss?

Years ago we boiled a bushel of crabs after softball season, a keg of beer, newspaper for tablecloths, just plain awesome.

11. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds kind of like Forest Gump talking about shrimp! :)

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now you're talkin'.

13. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being from MD and living in Florida BLUE crabs are the best!! I dont care for dungeness at all. There is a good place in vegas that has good blue crabs, the crab corner. Crabs were good, crabcake was good...soup was ok. I'm picky about my crab soup. The owner is originally from MD!!!

14. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best crab by a long shot: Dungeness crab in San Francisco bought straight out of the boil from the guys in front of the nice restaurants on Fisherman's Warf and then just sitting down at a wooden table and eating a few. Best on a nice chilly evening. mmmmmm I miss them!

Living on the Gulf I used to think I liked blue crab but after having some of the other varieties I find blue crab to be WAY too much work for too little meat. And this is coming from someone who loves to eat shellfish and doesn't mind peeling/shelling one bit.

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE Crab Corner! It's in a strip mall on Eastern just south of Flamingo. They opened up a second location somewhere off the 215, by Rainbow, but I haven't been over there. The kid talked me into a blue-crab sandwich... ya eat the whole thing, shell and all... it was GREAT... I ordered a second one! I've been back several times!

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blues are a little work but free is good

I'm near the bay so if I want them badly enough all I have do throw a few traps off a pier .I dont find the crabbing to be as good as years ago,but what is.
    Crab cakes are my favorite.

17. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!

Being from costal VA in must concur....
    Give me a bushel of Jimmy's, and a big tin of Old Bay and stand back!

18. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taste wise.....SNOW CRAB.....but a pain to eat with all the work.

19. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dungeness is my favorite. I also savor the gonads and fatty goodness in the head, not only the legs and clusters.

I actually prefer snow to king, as I feel they are sweeter and tastier. But I'm not going to turn down king if I'm offered, lol!

I enjoy blue crabs also, nothing more fun than sitting with friends and family on a newspaper table and cracking crabs with our hands!

Here in Hawaii we have these white crabs that we take fresh and make raw "poke" out of them. These are great with beer!:beer::thumbsup:

20. Dutch34

Dutch34 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    THANK YOU to the person that mentioned Crab Corner. Having been to Vegas 40+ times I never knew this place existed. I'm originally from Baltimore (now living in KC, the land of zero crabs), so I'm trying this place when I come out in a few weeks. I cannot wait!!!

As for this poll, Blue Crabs all the way. Nothing else compares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.