1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Club experience without bottle/table service? Club vs. ultralounge?

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by JonasClark, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonasClark

JonasClark Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First of all, what makes an "ultralounge"? There's all of one club in my city (Seattle) calling itself that, and in its case, according to the majority of its reviews as well as everyone I've met who've been there, it's a surprisingly tiny, poorly-arranged space with a bad DJ, too-loud music that's typically not of good dancing beat, bad food from a kitchen which habitually forgets orders, and bouncers who've been known to get a bit too grabby when "patting down" girls and have thrown whoever they think instigated an argument, bodily, into the middle of the street. (Before anyone asks, as far as I know, it has been shut down a few times.) I assumed "ultralounge" in LV was intended to suggest a more exclusive setting, i.e. "we keep the riff-raff out," but I have no idea - if I had to guess, I'd assume that if the riff-raff slip the doorman enough green, they'll get in anyway.

Second, can anyone tell me more about the experience of clubbing when you're not buying a table and getting bottle service? No offense to those who enjoy this, but for me, a table with a security guy, some girls brought over to shake booties nearby, and a $40 bottle of liquor and some energy drinks (the ingredients of my least-favorite cocktails) are not worth $3-500+. I'm not there to feel like a celeb, I'm there to relax, dance, and peoplewatch-- and not just the people who walk past my table and aren't chased away by security for not being sexy enough. (I kid, I kid... kind of.)

That is, what's the experience of getting in? How long should I expect to wait on an off-night? What does cover usually cost, and is it rude, even if I'm not trying to skip ahead in the line or anything, not to slip some or other people extra cash?

Once inside, what are the rules and etiquette? Do I need to avoid walking anywhere near tables, lest I get chased off and/or annoy some guy who's paying two grand to not see people who aren't bootylicious girls? I don't get drunk and I do watch my drinks.

Up here, clubbing is much more relaxed. Wait in line, flash ID, pay $5-20 cover, drink, dance, hang out, be nice to the other club-goers, that's it and that's all.

2. josassoc

josassoc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ultra Lounge vs. Club

Ultra lounges are smaller venues, which have mainly table seating/booths and VERY SMALL dance floors. They are built to encourage bottle service, and if you are going to stand and look around you'll enjoy it. But, if you are looking for a decent sized dance floor they're not the place. Clubs are generally larger and also have bottle service, but for the most part they have larger sized dance floors.

Bottle service is a concept that seems to appeal more to younger ones, who don't have mortgages and/or responsibilities (everytime I get BS prices I keep relating it to what percentage of my mortgage that costs...not sure why?). But, the idea in itself isn't bad, it just requires good implementation to make it more palatable. Without bottle service, YOU CANNOT SIT DOWN IN VEGAS CLUBS. Now for guys, that might not be a huge issue, but for ladies in heels, it hurts. I personally think bottle service also is more justifiable for guys who don't know how or don't like to dance. Or, for guys who are in larger groups and like to split the cost. Or, lastly, BS works for guys who don't want to stand in line forever to get into the club, while simultaneously watching girls just walk and guys with BS service or those flashing cash go in behind the them. (IMHO, most girls in Vegas aren't as impressed with the BS guys as they think. The concept appeals to the guys who are lazy in effort to get a girls attention, with a psssst or having some bouncer do their work for them. Yeah that's the guy a girl falls for....)

If you don't want to pay bottle service prices, go the club's website that you intend to go to, and buy general admission tickets. The lines are shorter for those ticket holders. Also, just go earlier to the club. For many clubs, if you are really early, you can walk in with minimal line, then confirm with the bouncers that they have a return policy, get your hand stamped, and come back later and walk right past the lines when the venue is busier. Just make sure you can get back in!!

3. JonasClark

JonasClark Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only had one experience that was even remotely connected to a club in Vegas. Three or four years ago, I was in the Forum Shops rotunda where the FAO Schwartz toy store used to be, and on one side was apparently some sort of club or lounge, which wasn't there on my next visit. There was a line, and a big, stocky bouncer type standing next to it. When I walked up and started looking at a menu board beside the edge of the nearby restaurant's rotunda seating, which was right beside the back of the line, the bouncer guy walks up and gruffly says something to the effect of, "You can't come in! NO HATS!" I took a step backward and started to say, "I'm not trying to get in line, I'm just looking at the--" and he said, louder, "You can't come in! NO HATS!!" and stared at me, obviously (I thought) trying to look as intimidating as possible. I just gave up on looking at that menu and walked away. (I suppose I can see why whatever it was was gone less than a year later!)

4. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ultra lounge/lounge are much smaller venues. If you're not into the bg crowd scenarios it could be the way to go.

There are multiple ways to not do bottle service and go to the club.

Depending on what hotel you are at, if they have a club ask the concierge if there is a guest list for people staying at the Hotel. When we stayed at Aria My wife, her 2 gf's me and my friend got in for free and no waiting in line for Haze. I went up front to check in and asked and they got me in touch their POC.

You can do pre sale tickets. If the club has a big name dj performing while you are there I would reccommend that. Some on here will argue it's a waste and they do better, etc. but if you want a guarantee to get in, prob will have to arrive before 11:30, I would go that route as General Admission becomes a cattle call and sometimes a long wait for a major dj.

Went to DCR down on Fremont and had a blast there. More of a Chicago house vibe, great mixologists/bartenders who had quite an array of ideas for drinks. Small, maybe holds 400 tops.

Artisan was also prety cool, smaller venue but we did that one as an after hours. A little blurry at that point as it was my b-day so can't give you better specs on this one.

Vanguard down on Fremont holds maybe 400 but was doing more dubstep the night we went. No seating inside, a few tables outside along Fremont. Would call this one a mini club, not as much of a lounge like DCR.

Hope this helps.

5. JonasClark

JonasClark Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the information is much appreciated.

It does sound as though feeling like a celeb is one of the main attractions to LV clubbing, and the experience is geared toward that. So I may look into checking one out, but it won't be top priority on my trip.

6. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first post pretty much sums up why i've never been to a club.

I'd like to go and try a nice club sometime but I have no desire to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I have no desire to stand in line while other better looking people pass me up or watching the DB doorman blocking the door holding out for tips. I'd like to wait my turn in line, experience the club, buy a drink and say i've done it once. I used to enjoy the rave scene that was so popular a few years back, so i'd probably enjoy a club, just not the politics involved.

7. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally your best bet would be to go pre sales then, guaranteed entry and you spend what you want in drinks there or pre game and just have 1 or 2 while there.

Vegas is a trap but there are ways to get around it or fit it to your specifications.

8. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I was in Vegas with my wife, a club was something I wanted to look into but decided against the line BS. I had no clue you could pre-order and get gauranteed access. I appreciate the advice!

9. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you go online to the club's website you can buy them there. Wanttickets.com is the main hub that sells the tickets to the venues in LV.

10. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great advice. I appreciate it once again.

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do a club crawl.

I did one in November, hit 3 clubs, and had double decker party bus.

It was great to see multiple clubs and it only cost $75 for 2 with drink specials/free drinks.

Some folks with an agenda on here may tell you not to do a club crawl and to just hit "Haakasan. Light, XS. or Marquee". Those are great clubs but if you want to experience it and say you did it....you'll have fun on a crawl.

Also. crawl are great for seeing how each club is before staying in one for a night. I wish I had known about Haze in Aria through a crawl first. I wasn't impressed.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  12. josassoc

josassoc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed on club crawls!

I agree that the people who knock these crawls either (1) haven't tried it (2)got duped paying full price by a bad one or (3) have an agenda to discourage it. I've been of two of them, and had a great time on both. We've taking a large party to Sin City Club Crawl in 1-1/2 weeks, and I can't wait!! Just do your research.

13. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, at the same time, I wouldn't discourage doing a hot club with bottle service for the night either.

They are two different experiences.

14. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    comparing ultra lounges, lounges and clubs are all different thing's. The biggest question is, what are you looking for in a venue. Are you cheap and just want to get in to a club? do you want to pay typical cover and then do the clubs thing? table? if you are not a dancer or a social butterfly then going to a rooftop lounge might be better for you. Clubs are packed, bumping into people, shoulder to shoulder and paying $15 for a drink. Table service gives you, " your space". October-march most of the lower tier venues offer bogo, or b2g1 or something.
    Things to think about
    Budget
    music, this one is big. you dont want edm if your into hip hop. or dont know what edm is
    how many girls/guys
    if girls, how hot are they

If you are looking at club crawls, seriously look at reviews. There are some shady companies and 2 just got busted for not having valid licenses to operate limos in Vegas. Just cause its cheap doesnt mean anything. Look at the clubs, where you have to meet the group, where last venue is. do they offer hosted entry.

15. Wolfman619

Wolfman619 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a favorite lounge of mine is downtown lounge, just off of fremont. dresscode is a bit more lax, and its a very chill atmosphere with lots of couches and super friendly wait staff. music is more towards the chill/ambient style. ive never paid a cover either. it truly is worth looking up, not sure what their weekday hours are like though.

not to hijack, but who do you go through to do a club crawl, is it the promoters you see on the streets with the flyers???

16. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Directly to their website.

Sin City Crawl in the one I recommend.

Deals are also found on Groupon, Living Social, Travelzoo, Goldstar, Galavantier, Amazon Local, etc. You will still have to call the crawl company though.

17. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I am not into the club scene but I want to give you a little perspective on the bottle service price. I'll assume $500 bottle with $100 tip, so $600 total.

Entry Fee $40/person
    10-15 drinks = ~$175 Say $12 a drink + tip.

If this is 4 people that is about $300 that more than likely you would be paying no matter what. You could drink less, but 3-4 drinks a person I think is very reasonable expectations for a minimum.

This leaves $300 or $75/person.

For that price you probably skipped a line wait of 30-60 minutes. You also have a table where you can sit down. Generally your table won't be an insanely crowded area either.

Now I'm not saying it is worth it to everyone. I'd also point out that $600 total for a bottle at one of the best clubs is on the low side. I just wanted to point out clubs in general are expensive even without bottle service and the added cost for just 1 bottle can be easily justified. If you are just talking about 2 people, then yes, it makes a lot less sense. For a group of 4-6 guys though, bottle service may actually be the only way you can even get in.

I also think the club tours are a great idea. It seems to be an easy way to check out that scene and see if you actually want to drop that $600 or wait 90 minutes in a line the next time you are in Vegas.

18. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't mind my asking, which clubs did visit on your recent crawl?

19. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Start at PBR Rockbar, then 1OAK, Chateau, and Tryst.

Double decker party bus in-between each.

20. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That actually sounds pretty legit. May look into that for our upcoming march madness trip. Thanks :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.