1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flights from Bellingham to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Shjf, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shjf

Shjf Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wanted to know everyone's opinion regarding my current dilemma. We're leaving on March 23rd and returned March 29th. We're looking at early morning flight and an afternoon flight for return. Currently through Alaska Airlines it would cost today $656. Although the plane looks half full, I know seats are also designated for websites to sell too. I guess my question is, should I just give up and book now? Or wait til the beginning/middle of February to book?? Just in the last week it's kept jumping between $656 total to over $720 total.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's always best to book, then be diligent about checking frequently to see if you can do better... that way you're covered, but can only improve your position.

3. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're going through Bellingham, why not use Allegiant? It isn't too bad, really.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You probably should book that now.

In looking at Alaska Airlines it looks like the majority of your ticket price is the flight home, that maybe the flight down looks only half full, but the flight home might be a little closer to sold out.

I also don't see prices going down: a few flights each week out of Vancouver to Las Vegas have been dropped so there is less supply while the demand continues to climb steadily.

5. markmetin

markmetin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No easy answer from BLI-LAS

Hello Shjf. During my dozen years living in Bellingham I flew to Vegas about 15 times, probably 10 with Allegiant, 3 with Alaska, and twice with Southwest via Seattle. I tried to find a predictable best-price pattern every time, and unfortunately found none. You’ve probably noticed that (especially with Allegiant) one flight can cost twice as much as another that leaves a few hours later. And the differences between days can be even more extreme. So if there’s any flexibility in departure times or days, you can save a bundle. Also, as much as I hate that I-5 drive to Sea-Tac, it’s worth checking prices just for peace of mind – you can decide if it’s worthwhile. I could also suggest Vancouver, but you’re almost guaranteed to pay WAY more, and I’d rather spend a week at Circus-Circus Manor than fly from that zoo.

6. billyinpg

billyinpg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that price per person or for both? Right now I can book that same trip out of YVR on Westjet for $525 per person.

7. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shjf, have you considered getting an AMEX card that earns Membership Rewards points? I ask because you can transfer those points to British Air and then use 15K points for a round-trip ticket on Alaska per person. Much better than doling out $600+ per person…

8. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just checked through Allegiant...
    For 2 traveleres with a bag each...$450 grand total round-trip.

9. Shjf

Shjf Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not opposed to this idea. I'll have to look into more.

10. Shjf

Shjf Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's for both. I cannot worth the life of me convince myself to fly anywhere from Canada to USA. It's so ridiculously price I will drive 40 minutes to Bellingham and save over $500 at least. I rarely use any Canadian airlines.

11. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking the same thing, not the best airline in the world but 90% of the time it'll get you there.

12. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've had really good luck with them...

13. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant just sent out an email this week with flights at $68 one way from Bellingham. That includes taxes and fees.

14. 7out7

7out7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took two midweek trips last year, Tues/Thurs, and both were $110 round trip with Allegiant. It's as no frills as it gets, but the price is almost always significantly better than Alaskan.

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most (not all) airlines do not make that easy. They charge an arm an a le to change tickets.

16. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you book Alaska now, just make sure to book 1 ticket at a time, and one way only. That way if one direction pricing goes down, you can get a refund as a credit. If you book roundtrip, many times the other direction price will go up, so it wont pay to rebook. If your flight times are not set, I see $238 per person. That is pretty reasonable, although about $40 more than I usually pay.

Also look into flying Allegiant one direction, and Alaska the other. I personally think it is too soon to book, although the end of March always tends to be expensive. If you look at their fare calendar, the current sale only goes out into the middle of March. Almost assuredly the price will come down on some of the flights if you are flexible, just maybe not the flights you are looking at.

17. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought this was funny: so only 90% of the time you get there? 10% of the time you end up somewhere else? :) :) :)

18. markmetin

markmetin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    90% of the time not that far off

I think the 90% comment may be referring to the Allegiant emergency slide problems back in September that required much of their fleet to be grounded and caused significant delays for many thousands of travelers – they’ve had a few other notable in-flight issues as well but the plane always seems to land on its wheels, just not always at the right airport! Check out www.willallegiantbethere.org for more details on delays, misroutings, etc. I know this isn’t an Allegiant thread but because they handle the majority of BLI-LAS traffic it’s appropriate to discuss them a little bit. People should be aware that their MD-80’s aren’t the newest planes on the tarmac, in fact their average age is over 22 years, but part of me prefers the “tried and true” models vs. the new Dreamliner, for example. You may get lucky and end up in the newer 757 or even the Airbus but there’s no guarantees. That being said, I’ve never hesitated in taking Allegiant, and still believe I’m 100 times more likely to suffer a mishap on the ride from the airport to Downtown vs. getting to Vegas by plane. My wife, on the other hand, would probably rather ride a donkey than board an Allegiant flight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.