1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Showing up for a flight to profit? Any Eastcost flyers here?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by user3657, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally book a few trips months in advance when ever I see a deal. I've just remembered I have a flight tomorrow. The Eastcost is backed up from the weather we are having. I've checked SW.com and every flight is sold out tomorrow from philly. including 598$ anytime fares.

Call me crazy, but I was thinking of showing up hoping(and risking)to get bumped. I can not make my trip, as I need to be back Sat. There is a cheap flight for Friday I can come back on. I rather not for such a short notice, but it would be cool I guess not knowing if your going to vegas or not...

Suggestions on me showing up and just not taking the flight? I think they make the you board the plane first. I suspect if I do get bumped I walk out with close to 400$.

I know this might be a unique situation. If I dont get bumped, I would lose my original points I used and my time.

As anyone ever done this or have any suggestions?

2. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you'll have to board the plane, but you will have to volunteer. My best advice is to do a carry-on as this makes you a more appealing bump since they won't have to go fetch your baggage. You can also ask at check in if the flight is oversold, and ask if they need volunteers, as well as doing this at the gate. Usually, they will automatically rebook you on the next flight with seats. The only out to this I see is if you can't get out on anything for days and can say it will be a trip in vain, and must cancel, but keep your voucher anyway. I wonder if you could rebook then cancel online? Hmm...

My friend recently volunteered (VDB) off a SWA flight, and somehow walked away with 650 bucks in LUV vouchers, and only had to take a 45 minute delay between flights. I've never been quite that lucky!!

3. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder what would happen if you just called them and said, "I know there are people experiencing hardships due to the weather and cancelled flights. I would volunteer to give up my vacation at this time. Can you do anything for me?" Well, that's awkward and needs work, but it may save you trip and points.

4. suebee

suebee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's good information on getting bumped HERE. the most important thing to know is that you are entitled to cash and don't have to settle for an airline voucher.

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mentioned using points and if you used points and cancel you simply have them returned to your "bank" as I understand it. If you the time, I would go out there and offer to be set aside (you may be able to spend the day doing it over and over) for a later flight. You generally are given your fare back and provided with flight vouchers for future flights or somesuch (in your case points returned) but if all else fails and it doesn't look good for a bump, just cancel your flight prior to final loading (take a laptop).

Unless only travelling one-way, what do you do with the return? (I assume cancel as well for point return)

6. rdunc311

rdunc311 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI you must cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes before the SCHEDULED departure time. Don't want you to lose that money!

7. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought about this, but I am not good at those kind of things :)

Just an update, I did not try it. I just canceled my flight. Maybe I gave my seat to someone who really needed it.:thumbsup: If I thought it the day earlier, I would of packed lite and either got a voucher or taken and 2 day trip to vegas. My trip cost was only 90xx points round trip. about 80$ one way from the eastcost

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.