1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental from Las Vegas to San Francisco to Seattle

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sriracha, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sriracha

Sriracha Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello everybody,

I'm planning a trip around the west coast, I'll arrive in Las Vegas first and would then continue to San Francisco, Portland and Seattle for my final destination.

As far as I know Hertz and Alamo allow one way rentals (although you have to call to book).
    However, the one way fee is between 500$ and 750$. Quite steep when the rental itself goes for around 700$ for 2 weeks.

I read that one way rentals between Las Vegas and San Francisco are permitted and do not incur a one way fee, likewise, one way rentals between San Francisco and Seattle are permitted at no extra coast.
    I believe this was the case for Hertz.

Would it be possible to split my rental into two reservations as to dodge the one way fee?

Rent in Las Vegas, drop off in San Francisco
    Rent anew in San Francisco, drop off in Seattle?

Has anybody done this?
    I thought about buying an old beat up car, however as I am not american there is virtually no way to register and insure it.

I would appreciate any help with planning this, as I have never rented a car before and between Feb 26th and March 18th would like to see the west coast not only from the plane.

2. Sriracha

Sriracha Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't find the edit button but have to add the following:
    I believe Hertz gave the rule about free one ways between Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
    Thrifty stated that one ways between California, Nevada and Arizona are free.
    If my memory does not betray me here.

3. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty much all rental companies charge more if you're dropping off the car at another location than the one you rented it from.

Take a look at rental prices for:
    1. Pick up from Las Vegas, Drop off at Seattle
    2. Pick up from Las Vegas, Drop off at San Francisco then Pick up from San Francisco, Drop off at Seattle

If you have an AMEX, pay for their primary car insurance which costs $25 USD. It's much cheaper than what the rental car companies charge.

I'd also try to look for some discount codes, but many of them exclude one-way rentals.

You probably want to visit places like Yosemite, Crater Lake, Mt. Rainer but if not then I recommend just taking Amtrak from San Francisco to Portland then Portland to Seattle. Keep in mind that hotel parking fees in San Francisco and Seattle is very pricey.. usually $35-45 per night, so doing Amtrak the whole way up from San Francisco-Seattle is best.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about the rental, but you're visiting four-(4) GREAT cities!!!!

5. Sriracha

Sriracha Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right, I realize the rental companies would have to move the car back.
    However, Las Vegas to San Francisco is 800$ cheaper than Las Vegas to Seattle, even though Oregon is between them, I think that is a lot.
    It's probably best to splce the rental period in two.
    Unfortunately I don't have an Amex. Ugh. Is my brother-in-law allowed to do the reservation and insurance for me? (He would not be traveling with me)

I forgot about the parking prices, are they really that heavy, at least places like Motel 6 should have free parking, right?
    If I'm dumping the car in SFO I would save those fees, and other places you could probably just park the car anywhere (as in in a not bad neighborhood)

Unfortunately San Francisco-Prtland-Seattle via Amtrak is kinda pricey to. SFO-Portland alone is 150$.

I'm trying to at least, ha! :D

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I think the big question is whether or not you plan on visiting places other than San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle? I’m talking about places like Yosemite, Mt. Rainer, Crater Lake? If not, then I’d just do the Las Vegas to San Francisco rental then take Amtrak. With the cost of gas, hotels (San Francisco to Portland is a pretty long drive), and food it’s cheaper to just take Amtrak at $150 per person.

Also, you don’t really need a vehicle in any of those cities if you plan on staying within the city limits. All of them have pretty good public transportation and car services (Uber)

All hotels/motels in major cities charge a parking fee, it’s usually cheaper at motels though. It will most likely be around ~$20-30 per night for those places.

Your brother can’t do the reservation and insurance for you since he would have to be there at pick up. What you could do is ask him to add you as an additional cardholder. Just make sure he has an AMEX Gold, Platinum, or Centurion card since these are the cards that get you the better coverage. Also, make sure that this primary car insurance is offered in your country.

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, there are some fantastic value in some of these cities (Portland and Seattle) when it comes to hotels.. Keep in mind that Vancouver isn't far away from Seattle so you should add that city onto your itinerary, along with Whistler if you're into skiing/snowboarding. Hotels tend to be pretty affordable in Vancouver during that timeframe, but the rates will be pretty pricey in Whistler.

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, the name on the rental agreement would have to match the credit card.

Take a look at Kayak.com. You can see that there are a lot of rental agencies that will allow it .

By swapping in SF (random 2 weeks I plugged in):
    Dollar Intermediate: LAS-SFO - $49/Day
    Alamo Intermediate: SFO-SEA - $98/Day
    Total: $1027+

Fox Rent a Car is the cheapest by renting all the way thru
    Intermediate: LAS-SEA - $60/Day
    Total: $843+

I'm not sure what rates or the time frame you are looking at, but it looks like a rental all the way thru may be the better bet.

8. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i do alot of one way rentals.i suggest you use orbitz put all you info in you will find the best price,then book directly.
    rember price can alawys change.

9. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

first off you can book all one way rentals on line you dont have to call,

how old are you.

Sometimes it cheaper to fly than drive. Parking in san francisco is around 40$ a nite in the city.

I use public transportation when posible much more feesable.

Do you have to take extra insurance its very expensive.

10. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

if you have a amex your car should be coverd , you will need suplimental for the other car, check with amex.

11. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    please rember if your driving in the winter some of the roads may be closed do to winter storms at very short notice.

12. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fox Rent a Car seems to be the cheapest for what you want to do about a third of the price of herzt.

i belive it will be alot cheaper for you to fly this trip

13. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The car rental insurance that comes with AMEX just covers CDW. If you want the "better" car insurance, which acts as your primary insurance, you have to pay $25 (for US cardholders).

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

14. Sriracha

Sriracha Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why I would like to rent a car, Death Valley, Red Rock Canyon (?), Yosemite, and later Mt. Rainier and or Mt. St. Helens.
    I think I will package it in little trips.

All the road trip boards I'm looking at tell me parking at Motels is free. Maybe it depends on how far away from the Center one is staying?

Ah, I don't think that'll work, he is my brother-in-law and he would rent it for my, but a second cardholder that's asking too much I think.

I'm actually connecting in Vancouver on the flight back but I did think maybe I can manage to squeeze in 2 full days before the outbound flight.

See, all these are very high because of the one way fee which depending on the agency is between 300$-750$.
    Thank you for the Fox tip, I'll look into them.

As in search for it with orbitz and then book on the agency's site?

LAS to SFO is arounf 60$, so very cheap, but unfortunately SFO-Portland is pricey, and I really want to see the country.

I do too but the inbetween I'd like to drive myself.

I think I do but if I only use a car for 7 days total (and fly some instead) it should be around 100$, so it would be manageable.
    Of course I'd prefer not to have to pay ist. ;)

I almost forgot, thanks for the reminder :eek:

I'll look into Fox, thanks again.
    I think what I'll do is rent a car from LAS to SFO, then take the Amtrak to Portland, then rent another car and drive up to Seattle on the coast, drive up to Vancouver for 2 days and drop the car off at SEA.

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated!

15. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oregon is best coast line to see

For sight seeing the Oregon coast is the best, you are right there on the water, driving from north to south is also better for stop for sightseeing.

Actually the whole coast from San Francisco to Astoria is great. Highway 1 from San Francisco is a must. Avenue of the Giants in Oregon is a must.

Fly to Portland drive to San Francisco and then fly to Seattle for your best sight seeing.

16. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    doing some quick research fox will cost around 1300 a month while hertz would be around 3400$.

prices will vary depending on when you book but that will give you good spreed.

in san fran you have to stay out of the city if you want to park for free.

seatle stay by airport free parking

i still think flying will be cheaper and rent when u need it localy

you can always change your oder in cities if flying is cheaper say

las- portland

portland - lax

lax- seatac

just play around with it.

17. Sriracha

Sriracha Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the Highway 1 and Avenue of the Giants hint, I hadn't heard of that before.
    That might be a great plan doing it in that order.

You are probably right but there is less to see that way.
    Can the Death Valley be done in 1 or 2 days from LAS back to LAS?
    Are there any heights that a compact car can't handle? Like a Ford Focus? Of course an SUV ould offer more comfort, but the price is a big factor against that.

18. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are probably right but there is less to see that way.
    Can the Death Valley be done in 1 or 2 days from LAS back to LAS?
    Are there any heights that a compact car can't handle? Like a Ford Focus? Of course an SUV ould offer more comfort, but the price is a big factor against that.

weather ,when are you planing this.

if its in febuaray even march you can have big snow on the mountians

19. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this will apply to you but in November of 2013 I had a Hertz rental in California for a week.
    I decided to drive to Las Vegas and stopped by Hertz to say I was keeping the rental a few more days.
    They made me change cars. It might have something to do with Emissions Regulations in California.

20. Sriracha

Sriracha Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ~20th of February for Las Vegas, rest until 20th of March.

I thought California was stricter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.