1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MyVegas Buffet comparisons

Discussion in 'MyVegas' started by djcoach, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok have read a lot of these threads on how people rate the buffets and etc.

I have been to all the major review sites and they are not helpful at all, for every 5 star review that the food was cold and terrible the same day say the food was hot and fresh and service was great.

So everyone's experience is different I get that so would like comparisons. I have never eaten at an MGM buffet only Caesar's properties because that is where I stayed and that is where I got comps at. So because of this game I am broadening my horizons. So for your recommendations, I am not a big seafood eater at all so Rio seafood buffet and certain sections of the bacchanal I don't even go by. So My favorite Lunch/Dinner buffets that I ate at in Vegas were PH and Rio because they had the most selections I could eat from.

Also I understand that my pallet is very low sophisticated so I have made the assumption that I am crossing off Bellagio because I will not eat majority of the good food there and therefore waste my buffet experience.

So the long-winded question, which buffets are closest to PH and Rio in terms of offerings that a simpleton like myself will get the most bang for his comp.

Mirage
    Monte Carlo
    MGM
    Mandalay Bay
    Aria

I have narrowed down to these choices. I am going for March Madness, hotel is already comped and driving in so have transportation. No shows for me only food.

So what three food choices should I go with? Thank You

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are going to cross off the Bellagio buffet you might want to do that to the Mandalay Bay one too: that last time I was there everything, even things like buns and breadsticks, were coated in herbs and spices.

The Monte Carlo buffet has a decent variety of food overall - lots of different tastes, but its a small buffet so there might only be like one or two rice dishes and one or two noodle dishes and one or two pork dishes...

By comparison the Aria buffet has a lot of variety and its a big buffet, so you get a pretty wide selection of food and lots of options, like you might see rice and then next to it is rice with peas and then next to that is rice with carrots and then later you find rice with peas and carrots and then later rice with onion and mushrooms and then rice with peas and onions and then rice with carrots, onion and mushrooms... a lot of that kind of variety where its the same core dish (in this example, rice) but with a whole range of options for how you might want it. Overall probably a good choice for you since you should be able to find lots of basic stuff as well as a few different things as well.

3. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you auggie. I was leaning towards aria as one of my choices. I am staying at Caesars for this trip and was leaning towards aria and possibly mirage since they are closest to my hotel along with bellagio.

However my friends are staying at nyny and thinking about doing one down that end just cause I will spend a good amount of time down that way.

I am going to get aria today. What is best down that end if I were to cross off mandalay bay also

4. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of what you listed, this is how I would rank them

1. Aria - Large selection, nice mix of dishes, but they try to cook more items from "around the world."
    2. Mirage - Large selection, best buffet salad bar in vegas
    3. MGM - Adequate food and selection, unlimited champagne with breakfast/lunch everyday
    4. Mandalay Bay - Small selection, closes from 2:30-4:45pm, beer/wine included with dinner
    5. Monte Carlo - Very small selection, didn't really like it on my visit, serve yourself beverages, would never pay for it

If I had to put Bellagio in there, I'd put it as #3 - I've never really had a good meal there like everyone else here raves about. Sometimes the food is cold and the selection is on the smaller side. I think Aria, Mirage, MGM, and Bellagio are all rewards that are worth using a one of your 3 reward redemptions on. However, Mandalay and Monte Carlo just weren't very good to me. I would only use rewards for those if I had used all the other buffet rewards previously and it wouldn't let me redeem them again lol

5. buzz_king

buzz_king Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brunch

I will give a different opinion. For my trip in December, I chose Monte Carlo and Aria.

I picked Monte Carlo because they call it Brunch from 7:00 to 3:00 and I wanted to have breakfast at least once. Well, I went about 9:30 and breakfast was excellent. I was surprised by the self serve drinks but made it work.

I picked Aria because I remember it being good when we stayed there once. This time I was disappointed but it could have been because I was there for a late lunch after a long night of drinking. I just could not find much that I wanted to eat.

6. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for responses. Where would Excalibur and Luxor fall in line with these. There is a 24 hour pass for those two just checking if that is worth it too?

7. pikabu

pikabu Low roller, but always enjoy the ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We go to Luxor for breakfast; good value for that.

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just used our MyVegas comps for:
    Mirage Dinner Buffet (Saturday)
    MGM Dinner Buffet (Sunday)

I'd say they were pretty equal...but I agree, Salad bar at Mirage is best in Vegas.
    The HOT crab at MGM was better than the COLD crab at Mirage.
    Mirage had Pho though...haven't seen that at a buffet before.
    The Prime Rib was better at MGM, in my opinion.

9. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done the top 4 mentioned. Mirage would get my vote.

10. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I think its a good deal because you can either use it as go in for your three meals each day or maybe just do one or two meals there and then just pop in and out whenever you want to just grab a small snack, something to nibble on or just take a quiet break and grab a drink.

As far as the buffets themselves go: neither buffet gets great reviews. Some people just like to dump on them because they are cheap buffets, even if they've never eaten there, but the big thing is that: there isn't any special about them - the Luxor and Excalibur buffets are OK, but thats just it: they are "OK", they are a lot like the buffets you would find in almost any city and not all fancy and with high end foods like many of the other special Vegas buffets.

11. Crazycrue

Crazycrue Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had my first experience at Aria buffet my number 1 pick. Mirage is next. Very good prime rib. Aria had the best deserts hands down.

Already got my myvegas reward for both aria and mirage. Looking forward to getting my fix.

12. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So seems to me like get one pass for Aria and then one for Mirage or MGM, then maybe even throw in the excalibur/luxor for 24 hours? or just do Aria, Mirage and then MGM

13. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With so many other great buffet options on myvegas, the 24hr excalibur/luxor pass wouldn't even be something I would consider. The other buffets are leagues above them in quality.

14. Mizzou233

Mizzou233 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Aria buffet would be tops on my list of the ones you mentioned. It has great variety, and as others have mentioned, they have the best dessert station. I found the dessert station at MGM to be weak and lacking. Mirage has a pretty good buffet. I've been there for breakfast a few different times, and it was always good. I actually like the buffet at Harrah's as well, but that's obviously not an MGM property. Harrah's is good value for your money.

All in all, I want to echo what another poster said. These are all just buffets, so don't go in expecting it to be like eating a filet mignon at a nice steakhouse. Take each for what it is, and you'll find most of them enjoyable.

15. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree 100% I am not going in expecting the best steak or anything of that nature. I know that like I said my tastes are very simple. Meaning I don't go try new things very often unless they are made by my wife first at home. Not a fan of going to restaurnat and trying new things that i may not like, feels like a waste of money. But that is just me.

I am gonig with the intent of eating and becoming full not expecting the world, I also am a fan of Harrah's buffet its good with alot of selections that I enjoy. I am sticking with Aria for now as a selection. Not sure of Mirage just because the rest of my group will be down at mandalay bay normally and just not sure if i will ever have the time to go into Mirage and enjoy the buffet

16. billydice

billydice Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had Mirage and the Aria buffet and the Aria was the much better one of the two.

hope that helps.

17. CYaInVegas

CYaInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just used points and got Mirage breakfast Buffet....(have had it many times....love it, although they no longer have strawberry soup:grrr:) Aria dinner buffet...(never had it ) and Mandalay Bay dinner buffet ( haven't had it in a couple years but liked it back then). Going Jan 23-28 so I'll report back after I return.

18. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds good thank you. I was leaning towards those three as well

19. IMDildy

IMDildy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I notice no one mentions Circus Circus...I traded in for some of those since I was staying for free there.

20. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably because no one has lived through it yet. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.