1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question on comps, hosts and more

Discussion in 'Comps' started by socalguy92010, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socalguy92010

socalguy92010 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be long winded bear with me: We've been going to Vegas forever. About 13 years ago we started staying at MGM and joined what was then the players club and after some time, started getting offers via mail and then email for discount nights. As we upped our playing allowance we started getting (and using) offers for free stays, typically 3 nights comped plus some freeplay and maybe food voucher.

Eventually we would get offers from almost all the MGM properties including Bellagio although the offers from there were just cheaper nights. We started staying at Bellagio exclusively and would get 3 nights free, freeplay etc offers every quarter. We would typically go twice a year and gamble only at MGM properties and usually just inside Bellagio. We got bumped up to Gold status with Mlife.

On our last visit to Bellagio we noticed that they had changed their points system, i.e. use them or lose them which I never recalled previously. We also felt that like every former Wynn property, it started to slide once he left.

We started getting fewer and worse offers so we said you know what, let's try Wynn where we had only stayed at once before a few years back.

So year we got an offer for a free night and two other nights at I think $149/night. We went and we are converts. We played how we typically play, her nickel slots, me $1 VP. We usually budget a couple grand, maybe a bit more but not much.

The night before checkout I went to the players club desk and asked if I had any comps coming figuring some room charge credits. The lady asked if I had a host which I didn't so she set me up with one who looked at our play and comped us the two other nights which frankly surprised the hell out of me.

A couple weeks ago I contacted the host and asked if I could get any comps for our upcoming visit so she looked at our last play and is comping us for two nights and the third is $149.

So questions are: What kind of play is needed for comps like a limo pick up and other goodies or is that way out of our league. Also, based on our typical play, do you think we'll be able to get the last night comped before we leave?

Also, what is going on with Mlife? Our play never changed but it seems as if they started offering us less and less and now I also noticed that the Gold Mlife card I have has been downgraded on the website to Pearl. WTH?

We're thrilled with Wynn and will make it our home I'm just wondering what anyone's take is on their comps.

2. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wynn is a premium high end property. You should be thankful that you're even getting the first 2 nights comped based on your play.

Mlife status resets every year in October. You have to re-gain your status.

Limo pickup from Wynn is way over your league. They use Rolls Royce's.

3. socalguy92010

socalguy92010 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I figured the limo was a stretch....HA!

I was very surprised on the comps to be honest but as far as Mlife, unless I'm mistaken, they never reset points in the past. And WTF about lowering our card from gold to pearl. Not that it matters, I'm pretty much done with MGM

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They've been doing it for a few of years now.

Tier points reset to ZERO every October. You have until the following October to lock in your current level.

So you probably had Gold, your points reset and you only played up to a Pearl level.

To be honest with you, Mlife suits your level of play better than Wynn.

Where are you going to go once Wynn decides that you no longer meet their expectations?

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course you won't get a Roller, but getting a limo is doable. Just ask your host. Mine sends one for me each trip (sadly never the RR).

I've found that Wynn has been much more generous than the top tier MGM joints, especially once you have a host.

Have you noticed how many points you accrue during your stays at Wynn? That would make it very easy to figure out what you should expect.

6. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    rule of thumb ask till they say no.

in fact a good host might tell you want they need from you to get that perk.

psss enjoy and treat me to diiner:thumbsup:

7. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience, Wynn is a bit stingier with the comps than MGM (keep in mind, I play tables, so what I am saying may be different from slot players, I don't know). I don't know what the magic number is at Wynn to get the limo, or if there even is a magic number. Just ask your host. That's what I did and now I get one all the time, wherever I need to go. The worst he or she can do is say no!

I Need Spa
  8. socalguy92010

socalguy92010 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking that when MGM changed everything from "Players Club" to MLife which does seem like a few years ago, that's when all of that changed.

What bothered me was that our level of play never changed. We've always budgeted about the same amount. I guess what I'm saying is that they upped their expectations so we got knocked down a peg.

Agreed that Mlife seems to be more our level but if so, why do we get the comps we do at Wynn?

If Wynn decides we no longer meet their expectations (whatever that even is) we'll figure it out. We still get 4 seasonal offers/year from Bellagio for 3 comped nights and other perks. While we haven't paid for a room in Vegas since I can remember (other than our first stay at Wynn and one time at Bellagio for a fountain/strip view on NYE), I have no problem paying again.

9. socalguy92010

socalguy92010 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RE: points. My online account is so messed up, I spent about a half hour on the phone with a gal at Wynn trying to reset everything. I'm going to have to wait until we get there in a few weeks to find out.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The answers to your questions on covered on this board in various postings. But bottom line, you need to play more and more to get them.

11. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The tier level reset has been implement long after the players club turned into Mlife. I guess I didn't explain it well enough the first time.

Every October your tier level resets. Once you hit a certain tier level you have to maintain it or lose it. In the past, once you reached a certain level you stayed that level and kept on accumulating points towards the next tier It is not this way anymore.

So when October came around, you became Sapphire again without you knowing that, which means you had 0 tier credits. You assumed you were still Gold. You continued to play the way you usually play and only earned between 25,000 - 74,999 tier points which earns you Pearl, and that is why you are Pearl instead of Gold.

I hope this clarifies things for you better.

12. socalguy92010

socalguy92010 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, yes that helps a lot. Well, we'll just see how things go for us at Wynn for the time being. I'm still surprised based on our level of play (which is a lot in my mind but I realize it's peanuts compared to some) that Wynn is being as accommodating as they have been.

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are trying to get a feel for you to see if you up your play. There is a possibility, especially with higher end properties, that they will start pulling back their offers if you don't meet their expected level of play.

14. pdawg23

pdawg23 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was offered a limo by my host at Wynn that used to work for an MGM property but I drive up from LA..
    80-90% BJ avg 4-500 at 4-7 hours a day
    10-20% roulette avg 1000 per spin heavy on 5 numbers
    First time at Wynn as a rfb spent 1500 on food and entertainment in 3 nights lost all 35k that I took :cry:

15. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Were you assigned a host with your level of play? Mlife isn't clear about the level of play needed. I've just never bothered to ask. Until recently I'd really spread my play around the MGM properties. Last trip I play almost exclusively at NyNy.

16. socalguy92010

socalguy92010 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

We never had a host all the years we stuck with Players Club/Mlife. On our last trip to Vegas we stayed at Encore and upon checking comps the night before we left we were asked if we had a host and told them know. They then "assigned" one to us who just comped us 2 nights upcoming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.