1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is airfare(s) affecting your visits to LAS ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't visit LAS as much as in years past as airfare(s) SW is the carrier of choice have began to jump quite a bit from $99-129 to $183-243. That being said I still do a few trips yearly. Usually one in the spring and two in the summer. The hotel rates have seemed to jump specifically CET. Though the Boyd properties and Riveria have been good to me. My favorite place to be is somewhat close to the 4 corners. Gold Coast and Orleans are good standbys. But the Riveria sends me some good offers or so I think. Their Monaco Tower rooms are right by me. As long as it's clean and safe yours truly is pretty happy. Probably because I'm not spending much time in my room.

2. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes prices in fall were around 250-350 rd trip pp but now i am lucky to book from here under $475 or more per person just makes it not worth unless making a solo trip. sure hotel is usually free and all but still just hate to pay that much for airfare.
    i wanted to go the 26th to the 30th and prices were around $1000 pp for the trip no way!

3. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really depends.. if the airfare from Seattle to Vegas is more than $500 per person than I won't go unless a relative REALLY wants to go.

Since the rooms are usually comped along with some F&B, I don't mind paying a bit more for the airfare.

4. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say the rise on airfare prices, namely Southwest, has forced me to cut back on my trips from 5 to 3 a year. Instead I take couple trips to Atlantic City that is only 4 hours away by car.
    Even though airfare is the main reason, to a smaller extent the loss of personal customer service has influenced my decisions too. I remember when dealers knew your name and cocktail waitresses remembered what you drank.
    Nowadays you have to grovel at the front desks to try and get a decent room and $50 a hand black jack is not even appreceiated.

5. Patripman

Patripman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely, in fact we cancelled our hotel plans for this exact week back in October after we could not find RT flights from Pittsburgh for under $368.00 RT, NS. Last December we paid $219.00 and this past May for $236.00 RT, NS both with SW. So instead of being in Vegas for the holidays we are now planning for a trip in May. I will say the airlines could care less about our decisions, their flights are packed and they know they do not need to drop prices.

p

6. drexel

drexel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We dont go anymore unless the airfare is under $250 RT

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My vegas experience was a one time shot at a trade show. I loved LV so much that I have made at least one trip a year since 1997. Now that I am on social security, I think I'd like to make it twice per year but it depends on both cost and my cash flow. Because of the time involved flying from the east coast I like to spend a week or more. For my trade show I am flexible that I can be flexible on either end to save on flights and/or hotels.I have been lucky that most of my trips have been about $350 or so round trip. I fly SWA. However, the very things that made them grow and be profitable are disappearing. They are getting more expensive, they are not as convenient, they eliminated the only non-stop, dropped the number of flights, are making seats smaller and less comfortable, eliminated the across the board internet sales, no blankets or pillows, little joking around or funny attendants, increased cost to get a better seat, new special "nicer seats" and more mobility challenged getting on than getting off!

Since my trip is not all about gambling, I still like LV, and as long as airfares don't get too crazy and food and hotels stay reasonable I am still interested in a couple of trips a year.

Jimbo338

8. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We're going more now than ever-4-5 times a year. We fly out of PHL or EWR and jump on good fares from SW when they are available. Some fares you just can't pass up. We booked Super Bowl week for 150 pp several months back. We're retired so can go anytime. Unfortunately, we're probably going to have to cancel that trip b/c my husband is having surgery for a torn rotator cuff on 1/8. Don't think he'll be sufficiently recovered by then (but we haven't cancelled yet-hope springs eternal).

9. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gone more in the last year than ever before. I've gone twice a year for 5 years but last year alone I went 5 times and have another trip planned in a month. Prices for airfare have remained relatively constant for me over the 5 years. I'm from Toronto and have paid $320-$450 almost every trip...$393 all in for my upcoming trip. The most I've paid was $540 last year and I booked too early thinking the prices were going to rise, the ended up dropping AND then I was sent a promo code for 30% off so I could have gotten it for $320. You live and you learn.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. I can't find airfare under $350 and my preferred target is $250 or less. I would have pulled the trigger a couple times if I could have actually found a deal on airfare. And since I won't be Platinum next year, my room costs are going to be higher going forward. It sucks because Vegas is so easy to do as a solo traveler and I really need a vacation on my own right about now.

11. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year I went to Vegas four times. This year I also went to Vegas four times. But, now with air fares rising, next year, I think I will only do two trips.

I fly Southwest and their fares are getting too high for me to tolerate. That added with the increased hotel room rates and resort fees, Vegas is becoming too rich for me. I am on social security now and I have to watch my money.
    As has been mentioned, with Southwest, their flights are usually full, so they have no need to lower their fares.

So, since I don't see air fares getting any lower, fares will truly affect my visits to Las Vegas in the future.

12. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm just used to it. Out of MSP on Delta we are usually in the $325-$375 range (although I have paid over $400). So I was extra happy to score flights for $229 for our June trip next summer.

13. Sage V

Sage V Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fare from STL on SW right now is between $380 -425 for various weekends in the next month...last yr Super Bowl fare was $275....inflation????fare went up quicker than a person doing the walk of shame on the morning after!!!

14. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Count me as another SWA traveler that has cut back. For the longest time, $79 one way fares from Chicago could be readily had.
    That plane sailed a few years ago and the result has been a doubling of fares.
    However, I am grateful that the years of low fares coincided with my halcyon days in Vegas.

15. kevhoofd

kevhoofd Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it is.. i live in holland.. the airfare is about $900 in slow periods..

16. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only do 1-2 trips a year so it doesn't bother me so much. Ideally my flight is under $300 rt from RI on southwest but my last trip was over $400. I miss the days when SWA was $99 each way.

17. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airfare affects my trip anywhere but for certain things I'll just find the lowest fare I can find because the date I go is most important.

Example, I got married this past Vet day weekend. I was going to pay no matter what. However, instead of leaving Friday (the day we took off), we found airfare Thu evening for way less money (SWA). We found the trip back on Vet day for low nonstop.

We could move around our arrival/departure because the main thing was to be there 4-5 nights and get married the day before Vet day (we'll always be off work the day after anniversary).

Vegas can almost always be tweaked as to your departure and arrival. It's not a weeks stay at a timeshare (most of the time) where it's Sun-Sun or Sat-Sat.

My 40th birthday party will be in Vegas but even that can be moved around if I find low airfare on a slightly different date than I wanted to go.

I won't, however, cancel a trip based on airfare costs. I mean really, if i'm going to Vegas to potentially piss away a grand or more with nothing to show for it, I'm not going to quibble about a $100 difference in airfare cost.

I can't imagine telling my wife, "Yeah baby, the lowest I could find RT is $350pp so....I guess we can't go" while I have 2 grand in cash ready to drop on tables.

So, airfare affects my trips to Vegas only by the day and time I leave for a particular weekend as my target.

LOW airfare may have me going at a moments notice when I previously wasn't going anyway but HIGH airfare will not have me cancel a trip.

18. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Birmingham, England. But born and raised in Bonny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Busyman nailed it. I know nobody likes to spend more than they have to, but when you consider the amount of $20,s you will be sliding into slots, VP etc, the $100 or so does not make any real difference to the bottom line

19. swuulumm

swuulumm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always delay trips if airfare is to high.

from my airport at the east coast, it usually costs about 600-800 bucks to go to LAS... which is terrible!

20. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are on the East Coast so airfare does play into our visits.

Wife and I both have Southwest Visa cards from Chase and we pay for everything we do with the card and pay it off monthly. Reward points add up quick and it usually gets us both a couple of free flights each year.

I've been using the SW cards since they started the program ......... I highly recommend it. They have preferred partners as well that offer some really good deals on stuff and the reward points really add up fast when you do business with the preferred partners.

And no I do not work for SW or Chase ..... its just a good deal - figured I'd share.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.