1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Advice Selecting a Tablet

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by UKFanatic, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am thinking of taking advantage of some post-holiday sales and I may buy a tablet computer. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have more experience with them than me. Here are the priorities of what I am looking for in a tablet:

*Easily compatible with Google email and calendar apps

*Can create or edit .docx documents

*Durability (I drop stuff a lot, lol)

Base don those factors, I have friends tell me I should get a Samsung, while others are telling me to get a Windows Surface. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just my opinions, others may vary...

1. Easily compatible with Google email and calendar apps
    A Samsung Tab 3 (Either 7" or 10") would EASILY work with Gmail and calendar with their apps which are made by Google. To the best of my knowledge, the native mail app in Windows 8 will not work with Gmail, but the Surface 2 has Gmail apps, but are designed by third parties. You could also access Gmail via the website.
    Advantage: Android/Samsung

2. Can create or edit .docx documents
    The Surface 2 Pro should come with Microsoft Office to do your .docx files or any other Office type files. With the Samsung, you'll have to pony up for an app to do what you want. The Surface also comes with a detachable keyboard to make it into a "laptop" to do your work.
    Advantage: Windows 8/Surface Pro

3. Durability (I drop stuff a lot, lol)
    Samsung Tab - Buy an Otterbox
    Surface - Be careful

I know you didn't ask this, but...
    Battery Life
    I have a Tab 2 and I've used the thing for over 8 hours without recharging. (watching movies, playing games, etc.)
    Not so sure about Surface

Productivity
    If you are used to Windows/Laptops, then the Surface's learning curve won't be very drastic. The Samsung Tab 3 isn't difficult to master, but I look at my Tab 2 as a toy instead of a tool.

Cost
    The Tab 3, even in the 10" version will run under $300.
    The Surface Pro will be much more...

All that being said? I'd go with the Surface if money was no object. I just feel it can do more that just look pretty, play games, and watch movies.

3. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nexus 7

I find large tablets aren't very practical for portability.

Nexus 7 also kicks the Tab 3 7" in the arse.

4. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Scott. That is all very helpful info. I didn't even think about asking about battery life. I stopped in a Best Buy last night and looked at prices for these two (and Lenovo). The Surface was more expensive, but not exorbitantly so.

I have a Samsung phone, so I don't think the learning curve on a tablet would be too bad. But the Samsung tablets I checked out at the store also kinda just feel like a large version of my phone. Your input is appreciated!

The plans have changed
  5. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in the same shoes as you. However, I was also open to ultrabooks that turn into tablets just by rotating the monitor (Lenovo Yoga).

I'd prob go with the Samsung Galaxy tablet since I hear great things about it.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my iPad since it's a PITA that everything has to go through iTunes. The one good thing about Apple products though is their resale value.

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about the Kindle HDX? I am fixated on the pixel count. I am looking for something to replace my iPod that I primarily use to check email and play games but with a tablet I would also start doing ebooks and maybe movies. I know I need to get off the Apple hamsterwheel!

7. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not interested, if only because my family owns a bookstore! So I try to avoid Kindles

The plans have changed
  8. Kickin

Kickin Flea

No one here has the Surface Pro? I was playing around with it recently at the Microsoft store and really liked it. I was thinking about buying it but wanted to learn more first. I love that you can use normal PC software like excel and word. It's really more of a laptop replacement in tablet form than just a tablet replacement.

9. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kindles are great if you like to be tied to Amazon's storefront.

You can't even access the Play Store on it unless it's rooted.

It's an unAndroid tablet.

10. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may as well get a tablet/laptop.

The Surface Pro is ultra-expensive at $700-$900.

Also the Galaxy Tab Pro and Note Pro are coming out early next year.

11. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people are having internet connection issues.

12. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I have an iPad, I'm typing this from it. The main thing I liked about the Surface was being able to use it in lieu of a laptop for things like excel and bloomberg. But then use it as a tablet for other things. The price was what made me hesitate, the model I priced out was close to $1000 and its not like its something I really need. They are offering to give you a minimum of $200 credit if you turn in any iPad, it could be more for newer iPads. I was thinking of turning in my current iPad and then buying the Surface and the new iPad Air. So I'd just waste twice as much on unneeded gadgets instead. :poke:

13. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you to everyone for the insight!

The plans have changed
  14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I look at things like weight and such when considering a tab for laptop replacement.

The Yoga Ideapad Ultrabook, for instance, weighs one more pound than a Surface Pro w/o keyboard, is much more versatile, bigger screen, and costs about the same.

I personally prefer a nicely powerful small tablet or full fledged laptop like a Yoga.

Anything else is not worth the price imo because they are too close to the high end or low end. Example, iPad Air is overpriced compared to Google Nexus, Surface Pro is overpriced compared to a Yoga.

My 7" tablet is with me all the time either in my coat pocket or even the back pocket of my jeans. Bigger tabs just aren't practical for that.

15. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can definitely sell your iPad for more than $200. Just have to advertise it on eBay or something similar

16. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. If the OP plans to type a lot, then it's best to get a laptop/tablet like a Yoga. If you don't mind a regular laptop, then I recommend the Asus Zenbook. This is what I use right now and it's fantastic...

17. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was looking at that. Pretty cool.

Right now, I only use a small tab in my daily usage, taking pics, vids, notes, and best of all, watch all TV shows and movies (it plays all video types, currently finishing Sons Of Anarchy).

Right now, I use a real laptop and desktop at my desk.

I would love a Yoga tho'. A friend of mine has one and it's one cool, small laptop/tablet hybrid.

18. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey at least you're utilizing your tablet quite well! :thumbsup:

I'd love to have a desktop but I'm always traveling for work, which is why I got the Zenbook since it's lightweight.

I heard good things about the Yoga too. I believe Lenovo had a good Black Friday sale for it too. However, after spending $600 for the iPad and $1700 for the Zenbook all in one year, I'd rather not spend another $800 for another computer/tablet..

19. Jamie in PA

Jamie in PA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Samsung Galaxy and love it!!

20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't blame ya.

The most use I get out of tablets is TV/movie watching. I got my wife one and she gets through an entire season in about 3 days just by watching during downtimes like waiting for Girl Scout meeting to end or lunch.

Now I just wait till a season is over and watch straight through.

I want that Yoga. It's so thin, light, is serves as a tab or laptop and is powerful enough for me.

I have an iPad but almost never use it. Too big to carry about. I'm in one big building and satellite to two others unlike you that travels. My travel consists of a shuttle bus ride. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.