1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Travel Routers

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Readingfanman, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know it's a bit of a prickly subject for some, but personally if I'm away for 5 days I'd like to be able to access the internet still once a day, if even to only check the news and my e-mail. Preferably, I'd prefer to do this from the comfort of my room as well.

Looking at this, and how weak ass Wifi is in Vegas (Seriously, how is it still so bad?), I was considering getting a Travel router for my party while we are there as we are all going to be using iPads/Smartphones and not bringing laptops.

Any pros or cons to using them at all, and how easy they are to set up? Does anyone have any recommendations at all for any?

Edit - Bear in mind before someone says - check your mail on your smartphone, I'm from the UK so I don't get any signal at all in the US on my phone, let alone mobile internet.

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For this part: make sure your phone is set so roaming turned off. Your provider in the UK might have an arrangement with a US provider to give you coverage while in the USA so if you don't turn off roaming then as soon as you land might access the US networks and start checking email and any other programs you have granted permission to access the internet (a lot of apps have that as a permission for downloading ads) because roaming internet access can be very expensive (I believe mine is like $5.99 per MB when I am in the USA).

As for the router: you can pretty much buy anything with WiFi capabilities or even take whatever router you use at home. To save on headaches its best to set the thing up (the router and at least one device to operate it) before you get in Las Vegas so you can just plug it in at the hotel and activate internet.

If you are staying at a place where you have to pay a fee for internet use (versus having it included in a resort fee) you can keep the fees down by timing when you start internet (its not a constant when you check in until you check out, but instead its '24 hours from when you activate it').

So if you are there for 5 days then you might do something like:
    Day 1: arrive in Las Vegas. Check in to room at 3PM. Get unpacked, go get some food, gamble a little then go back up to room at 6PM and activate internet.
    Day 2: you still have internet until 6PM so you can use it in the morning and during the day. You should try to get back up to the room before 6PM to check email and do anything you need to. When internet expires let it.
    Day 3: get up, do your morning stuff, go for breakfast. Activate internet around 11AM.
    Day 4: you have internet until 11AM but when it expires re-activate it.
    Day 5: you have internet until 11AM check out time.

By doing something like that you have internet access for most of the 5 days you are there, but you are only paying for 3 days.

3. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I'll be switching off the roaming on my phone for sure. Cheers.

So I can pretty much take any sort of router then, set it up on my laptop at home, take it with me and just plug it in then? I'm staying at Monte Carlo, I have no idea if internet is included or not to be honest! If not, I'll certainly bear that in mind, seems pretty similar to most hotels where you are buying 24 hours rather than an actual day.

4. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So let's say you have a router and a laptop connected and you buy internet.

The hotel charges whatever per device.

When you pay for the net hookup, does it somehow get attached to the MAC address of the router and not your laptop?

Is that how additional devices can connect without incurring additional charges?

Jimmy Poon keeps telling me to ask these things but I'm really more comfortable getting my news and advertisements on a fax machine.

5. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a few companies that sell travel MiFi routers for a pretty reasonable cost. The internet speeds aren't that bad either, especially since they only cost $10-15 per day. Just make sure you don't break or lose the router..

For hotel internet in Vegas, I recommend staying at the Cosmo since they have one of the fastest internet speeds on the Strip.

For your phone, do you have an unlocked phone with tethering? If so, just buy a SIM card when you get to the States.

6. jaybert

jaybert Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it would be tied to the MAC address of the router so you should be able to hook up as many devices to the router and only get charged once

7. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

If you go the travel router route (wouldn't leave home without mine) you will want something that will do both router and bridge modes. Bridge mode will take the hotels existing wifi connection (for those who don't have wired) and rebroadcast it for you. This allows you to pay for one wifi device and share it among all of your devices.
    I use this one.

8. owenmc60

owenmc60 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 on this travel router, it's one I've used and recommended in this forum before, great shout!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.