1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Should I wait for the flight time I want?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Matty Ice, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'll be in Vegas March 30th - April 4th. I already booked my return flight home because it was a good rate at the time I wanted. The flight to Vegas is great right now (only $120 one way), but it gets in later in the day around 6pm. Would you forego almost a full day for a good rate or wait to see if the prices drop for the time you want?

Thanks.

2. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends what the difference is, and how long you are staying. If you are there for 2-3 nights only. Perhaps I'd pay the extra (Dependent on how much extra it is). However if you are there 5-6 nights, and you lose out on 5-6 hours in Vegas but you save $100 or so, is it that bad?

Personally, I'd probably take the lower fare. You'd still be on the Strip/Downtown by 7:30 at the latest after all. What loss is one afternoon!

Edit - Just seen you are there 5 nights. Take the lower fare and spend it in Vegas on a limo or something from the Airport. Added to that, a lot of people on this site seem to say flight prices in $ don't ever go down, only up. I'd take the good price while you can before even that goes up.

3. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what a good time of day for you is, but I'm going to guess it might be 4 to 6 hours earlier. My first night in Vegas usually ends on my first morning in Vegas, so it would make little difference to me if I arrive at noon or 6:00pm. Grab the great rate!

4. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, based on your dates, I would take the rate due to the amount of time being spent in Vegas.

My only concern with waiting is that it is the weekend of the NCAA basketball Final Four (Saturday) with the championship game that Monday. Rates may go up as you get closer.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me it depends on how early I could arrive versus the cost: I have paid more to get there earlier, but its usually where I have paid $50-60 more and I end up getting there 8-9 hours earlier. If it was something like paying $100 to get there 2-3 hours earlier I wouldn't do that.

Another possible option might be to look if you can get the cheaper flight (or one even cheaper) at a later time... but the night BEFORE.

IE: if you are looking at arriving on a Thursday and your flight options are $250 to arrive at 1PM, $120 to arrive at 6PM or $100 to arrive at 11:30PM... you might check to see if that 11:30PM arrival flight is available on Wednesday and take that instead. No, you probably won't get to see or do much in Vegas if you don't get to the hotel until midnight, but then the next day you wake up in Las Vegas.

6. gmille58

gmille58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a similar, but not exact issue on our most recent trip. From Seattle, prices on Southworst and Alaska were basically the same, with Alaska $20 higher for a checked bag. Problem was the flight times. Southworst had the best times for what we wanted, Alaska had flights earlier, before my wife would be off from work, and much later, costing us in effect around 8 hours. For a Friday to Monday trip, that was deemed not acceptable to us, but looking back on it it would have saved most of a day's gambling allowance. Nice thing about going to Vegas from Seattle there are about 10 or so non-stops per day, and with two airlines prices are usually competitive.

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Typically I take a 6-7am flight and am in LV before noon. That gives me plenty of time to get into my room, unpack, have lunch and nap if necessary......and a full day of fun. I take an afternoon flight out in order to sleep late, have a leisurely breakfast, pack and check out. The rest of the day is all about flying east. This schedule gives me the most time in LV with the fewest nights. That being said, in order to get a decent flight this year coming up, I took an afternoon fligtht that arrives in LV at 10:30pm. I doubt that the flights would get any cheaper but I would rebook in a heartbeat for an earlier flight at a price close to what I have paid.

My advice is to book now and if something better comes along, rebook.

Jimbo338

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the price he mentioned, it can't be Southwest, so rebooking isn't an option.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For us a 1 PM or 3 PM flight is perfect. Arrive in Vegas at either 3 PM or 5 PM, with the 2 hr time change.

Time to shower in the morning, get the dog to the kennel and still have time for breakfast or lunch. A relaxing morning w/o any stress.

Even with a 5 PM+ arrival, I still get about 8 hrs of gaming in before my internal clock says it's 4 AM back home. Get to bed!

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take the first flight of the day, usually 7 am and I'm in the cab by 9 am Vegas time. Earlier flights mean less chance of a delay plus I want to maximize my vacation time. Going home I take a late flight, check my bags when I check out and enjoy a few extra hours.

11. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is actually Southwest. I went ahead and booked the flight from Detroit to Las Vegas for $120 one way. It gets in at 5:40pm Vegas time. I had already booked the return flight for $139 back to Detroit (it's since gone up to $179).

Thanks for all the advice!

:beer:

12. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agree with vegasvic, we always take the early flight, around 7-715 and get to vegas by 915-930 at latest. Puts us downtown by 10ish and the whole day to do as we please. Leaving is similar, try and get out of there in the mid morning so we can get home at a reasonable hour. We usually stay 4 days so depends on your stay, if its shorter, I would never get there late unless I was leaving later on my last day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.