1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Auto Rental - Who else does this?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by TomTWI, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made a reservation last Friday with Dollar for two weeks in January all in price approx $533. Today I recheck price and it's $458 just under $75 less so I booked that and made a new reservation. I will keep checking until a day before the trip. I think I can get these two weeks for around $400. Anyone else do this for cars?

I used to do almost the same thing for hotels. (cheap I know).

TomTWI

2. Kickin

Kickin Flea

That's not being cheap that's being smart. Why would anyone want to pay $533 for something that is now being offered for $458? In market terms that is known as the "dumb money".

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I have a rental reserved, I check daily on prices and will rebook even if for only a couple of bucks price reduction.

Off topic: I picked up the new vehicle yesterday and now am back to full coverage on my insurance, so I don't have to rely on the credit card coverage. It's been a long time since I had collision on the 98 or my wife's 97.

4. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time I rent a car I start about 2 months in advance booking, cancelling and re-booking until the day I leave. I get the lowest possible price!

5. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do that for my hotel room all the time

I canceled/rebooked 4 times already for my next trip

6. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yup yup.
    I do that for everything!
    I even use my browser "In-Private" mode, to see if I can get anything even cheaper!

7. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always, always always - in fact, there is a website that will check prices and notify you if it finds a lower price and automatically rebook you - autoslash.com

One time I actually saved $50 using the wi-fi on the plane and rebooking a car on the flight!

8. Trennie

Trennie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely! For our upcoming trip (12/16 - 12/20), I first booked a car at about $128, then prices fell to around $115, and when I was trying to find a few minuets to rebook, Thrifty showed up with a special of $84, including all taxes and fees! So I jumped on that, and haven't seen anything cheaper since. As long as you are on line, you might as well save a few dollars

9. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow nice thanks for the tip guys will post take this into consideration for my march trip

10. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I am always checking & re-checking rental prices on Alamo at least 3 or 4 times each week. On many of our trips, I will cancel & re-book 3 or 4 times, when getting a price drop of at least $5 or more each time ... more money back in my pocket !!

11. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    damn looks like in vegas it uses some payless rental place reviews say they tack on a ton a fees. wish some of the bigger chains would show on there.

has anyone used priceline to get a good deal? are those refundable?

12. luvlv

luvlv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I use priceline most of the time. They usually have the lowest prices when I am looking. I also rebook often with them, they are refundable.

13. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

No matter where you rent from, there are always lots of fees & taxes added in. The only difference is trying to find the lowest "base price". Not sure how Priceline allows (or does not allow) cancellations and re-bookings, as I always use Alamo, where I can cancel and re-book as often as I want. The other main reason for not using Priceline is that I can't get my Southwest Rapid Rewards points. My last couple reservations with Alamo, I used codes for 2400 "RR" points, and those points are like "money in my SWA bank".

14. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No some people were quoted one price and then once they arrived they were quoted a significantly higher rate.

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not Vegas but during our most recent Hawaii trip I rebooked our rental car through Costco Travel six or seven times. And why not? Takes no time at all. Not cheap. Wise.

16. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely will book and rebook for the best rate I can find on a rental. I hardly ever end up using my initial reservation. Another trick for longer trips is breaking it up, so for your two weeks try booking each week separate. It's really no big deal to swap cars once at the rental center during a two week trip, and it might save you hundreds!

17. CYaInVegas

CYaInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to always book-rebook-cancel when I found a better rate UNTIL I started "bidding" on car rentals. Almost always at least 20-25% cheaper.....sometimes more. I always get comped rooms in Vegas but everywhere else I go I bid on rooms. Why would anyone pay a higher price for anything. You are very smart to keep checking.. I once changed a car reservation 5 times as rates dropped.

18. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the 2 cheapest usualy are payless then Fox with fox being the cheapest and less add ons as there not at the airport renal center.all the car rental places in the rental center tack on the same fees its from the city and airport and tourism.happens at all airports

psss payless adds a around 3$ fee for road service per day even if you decline all there stuff so be carefull and go thru there contract and make sure they take it out if u dont need it.
    if u have aaa or your credit card covers it.

pss i just had my san fran rental drop 250$ in price for a 4 day rental so always keep checking

19. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't work for them but AutoSlash notifies you if they find a cheaper rate than what you booked. Never used them since I always book my rental cars last minute, but I heard great things about this website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.