1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Go to Heritage Steak! (Just skip the steak)

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by thecarve, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After two nights of going very casual for dinner - La Cave (Wynn) and Grimaldi's (Palazzo) - I decided that tonight I needed to cheer myself up (gambling gods have been downright evil) with a hunk of prime beef. I'm a fan of Colicchio's other joint, Craftsteak, so I figured I'd give Heritage Steak at Mirage a go.

Things started out great. I went with a "The Rose Supper Club" cocktail (Ransom Old Tom Gin, lemon juice, a cherry liqueur and chartreuse) while I perused the menu. The cocktail was fantastic and very boozy. I coulda had three or four of of them. But I figured I should probably keep my dignity, so I just went with a glass of wine with the steak.

My appetizer was the braised pork belly. It was ridonkulous! It had fried oysters, some very mild horseradish, some bitter greens (arugula?), mild chilies and a sweet, kinda tomato-y reduction. Along with the super rich, fatty and tender pork, it was a perfectly balanced dish, and probably my new favorite "Vegas appetizer".

For my main, I went with the bone-in ribeye and a side of Brussels Sprouts. Like the pork, the sprouts were off-the-charts good. They were deliciously charred, with bacon and had some sort of great sweet-and-sour thing going. I'm thinking maple syrup was involved and some sort of vinegar reduction (though, at times I could have sworn I was eating the best sauerkraut ever made). In addition, the steak came with some cute little new potatoes that were better than spuds have any right being (other than mom's mashed taters, of course).

Unfortunately, the steak was quite a letdown. At first, it was because there wasn't even a speck of pink on my rare steak...nothing but gray. :vomit:This was quickly rectified when a passing manager asked how it was and I held up a forkful and replied, "good, but far from rare". He was very apologetic and took the steak away. A new one came out in about 15 minutes. It was much closer to the correct temp, but still probably a degree or two above medium rare.

None of this really bothered me, though. I was having a great time chatting with the bartender and watching Sunday Night Football. When the new one came out, I was ready to continue my fantastic meal.

But even at (close to) the correct temp, the steak just wasn't that good. It was only about 1/2- 3/4 inch thick - probably explaining the overdone-ness - and not terribly flavorful. Plus, it had almost a lighter fluid taste to it. It was far from overpowering and at times not even noticeable. But it was there nonetheless. I couldn't help but be reminded of being at a picnic. Were that the case, I would have heaped praise on the "grill master". But at a high end steakhouse (and ringing the register to the tune of $50+), it's unforgivable, IMO.

As mediocre as the steak was, I still came away from the meal fairly impressed. Everything but the meat (including the service) exceeded my expectations. I'm sure I'll return...but just for drinks and apps. Maybe I'll try the fish or chicken.

Before tip, the cocktail, appetizer, steak, side and glass of wine came to about $125...I paid with Express Comps so I don't think there was tax applied, but I didn't check too closely.

2. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sucks about the steak at a steakhouse! I tasted that lighter fluid taste at the steakhouse at Red Rock. I think that placed closed, and this was years ago. But I remember the steak was good but I detected the lighter fluid taste.

3. KarenTN

KarenTN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we went, my boyfriend had the same ribeye and said it was the best steak he had ever had. Cooked perfectly and super super tender. Sucks that they dropped the ball on yours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.