1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spiderman Coming to Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by BenjaminNicholas, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gee, and I thought Spiderman was downtown waiting to have his picture taken for $5.00! On a serious note, I can't believe that a show that couldn't make any money in NYC can spend a small fortune on theater hardware, shorten itself to 90 minutes and be a success where so many good shows didn't last. I like to see a couple of shows on my trips but Spiderman just isn't one of them.

Jimbo338

3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think part of the issue is that the show was never quite considered to be "real" theatre; people view it as more of a spectacle. So while that makes it somewhat out of place on Broadway alongside Tony winners, the Strip might be a much better fit.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly this. As much as I'd hate to admit it, this show might be wildly successful in Vegas. It will definitely have eye-catching ads on billboards and taxis around town.

Compared to Once, Newsies, Jersey Boys, Evita, Wicked, The Lion King, etc, Spiderman is just nowhere near the caliber of show you expect on Broadway. When the streets are lined with theaters and you have only one free night, you want something that is worthy of Broadway.

I saw the show a few months after the opening of the retooled show with the "original" cast on Broadway. As a whole, the show was dreadful. The score was just too shrill and the lyrics were horrible. There really wasn't a logical flow to the show either. The songs seem very forced and make you realize you're watching a musical. That's the major flaw of the show. A Broadway musical should take you away from reality for 2.5 hours. Spiderman TOTD made you very aware that you were staring at what amounts to a train wreck.

Where the show excels and why it's worth the ticket price is the set design. The way sets can suddenly go from a "drawing" to a huge 3D rendition of the Empire State Building. It's an awe-inspiring set.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been wanting to see this show so when I heard it was going dark (no pun) the first of the year I started looking at Hotel rooms and Airfare.
    Problem is; I will be returning home from Vegas on Dec 26th so to unpack, wash clothes, pack again and then fly up to NY seems like a bit much.
    Especially being in the Times Square area around New Years? That's crazy! I really hope it comes to Vegas! Thanks for the post!

6. bboy554

bboy554 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I walk by the Foxwoods Theater, the one that shows Spiderman, every day on my way to work. I haven't been tempted to stop even once. On the other hand, there's a huge billboard for a "Rocky" musical starting up early next year. Can't wait. Yo, adrian!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.