1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Good cold remedies?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by kittyglitter_mm, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittyglitter_mm

kittyglitter_mm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leaving for LV on Saturday and woke up yesterday with a heinous cold:grrr:
    Due to a weird blood pressure issue I can't take many over the counter meds. The only one I can take makes me so sleepy. Any good advice out there?

2. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife swears by Airborne, it is sort of like alka seltzer. Just picked up a 36 tablet pack at Sam's club.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't do anything about the bug. But for symptoms, non- medicine treatments would be a neti pot, vicks vapor rub, spicy chicken soup, and hot toddies. Depending on your symptoms.

I also love Traditional Medicinals teas- every fall, I buy a couple boxes of seasonal sampler - breathe easy, throat coat, gypsy cold care, and herbal tussin or echinacea plus. http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/product/seasonal-sampler

4. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't choke that shit down without barfing.. idk what it is.. but I some how manage at times and damn does it make ya better fast

5. Patripman

Patripman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A bottle of Southern Comfort or a good bourbon and a heavy blanket
    should help, it always worked for me.

p

6. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jack Daniels was always my go to medicine. Thankfully I hardly ever get sick.

7. sciesla

sciesla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try Cold Eaze or one of the zinc lozenges. Usually will shorten the length of the cold if you start taking it right away

8. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swear by Echinacea. I take it as a daily supplement as soon as colder weather rolls around. I hardly ever get sick. *Knock on wood* Hope you feel better soon!

9. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dimatapp works for me.

10. vegasdrea

vegasdrea Buckle Bunny

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel your pain. I'm pregnant so I can't take anything. I've been drinking tea and honey, and the vicks is doing nothing for my congestion. This is the second time since I found out I was pregnant that I got sick; I hadn't been sick in over a year before this. Someone told me that it's cause my immune system is weaker due to pregnancy. Aye :(
    Hope you get some relief before your trip :)

11. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honey for the sore throat, no dairy and no meat for the duration, although that may not be possible with you leaving for Vegas in a day and a half...

12. exds

exds Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yin Ciao. I always pack some whenever I go on a trip. Works amazingly if taken early at the first sign of a cold,( scratchy throat, running nose, etc.), but will reduce symptoms if you already have the cold. Affects some people more than others so start with one tablet then increase if needed. I take 1 just for preventive measures when going on a plane up to 4 every couple hours for a full blown cold. Will dry you up and can make you sleepy so test first, but it works!

Its a common Chinese medication so you should be able to find it in chinatown in Vegas.

Got sick in Vegas last new years with a constant low grade fever but I wasn't going to let that spoil my fun.

Good luck.

13. exds

exds Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yin Chiao. Sorry for the misspell, stupid spell check.

14. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Lots of orange juice, chicken noodle soup, and SLEEP!

15. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All my cold remedies involve straight liquor. Sorry.

16. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, you still can't cure a common cold so it is something that works for you that counts. I have taken a 2000mg garlic tab for years. The Chinese have done this for 4,000 years (of course, most of them are dead now). My doctor says there is absolutely no evidence that this will do anything good for me, however, there is also absolutely no evidence that it will do anything bad either. I figure that it has been successful for the Chinese and the Italians who eat all that cheese and pasta have one of the lowest rates of heart disease, and use lots of garlic, and that's good enough for me. Similar to being on a plane, I spend the day trapped in a car often with one or 2 teens hacking and sneezing during cold season (I teach Driver Ed.). I have fared well over my 40 year career, whether the garlic has anything to do with it or not, who knows.
    I think the worst stage of a cold is the congestion when you are trying to sleep. I am pretty tired When I crash and generally fall asleep quickly but during a cold, you put your head down and cannot beathe. So then you sit up, but cannot sleep. Different things work for different people and what has been successful for me is SUDAFED for allergies and nasal, or, walmart's generic. I do like chicken soup too, but not usually at bed time!

Jimbo338

17. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coricidin works pretty well if the reason you can't take regular OTC is HTN.
    Neti-pot or another saline sinus rinse, proven effective in studies
    Increase your fluid intake - a lot.
    Gargle with warm salt water.
    Rest.

When we Were Young
  18. kittyglitter_mm

kittyglitter_mm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the advice! After two days of taking Cold Eeze every 3 hours, neti pot daily and sleeping with Vicks vapor rub on the soles of my feet with socks (crazy, yes but effective) I am feeling pretty damn good and getting ready to board the plane to VEGAS! :peace:

Still have some lingering chest congestion but I'm sure copious amounts of Woodford Reserve will cure it!

19. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also a firm believer in echinacea. I don't take on a daily basis, but at the first hint of a cold I begin pounding the stuff and it usually boosts my immune system enough to ward off the virus. If I don't catch it in time, I find that I don't get it nearly as bad as others and the duration is much, much shorter.

20. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom made her own cold medicine. Lemon, honey and whiskey, (most likely Kessler’s) it always made me feel better. I remember getting it, when I was very young. It might be why I like American honey so much. :drunk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.