1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone Been to Moscow

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by johnvic, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will have a layover in Moscow in March. I can possibly delay my outbound flight for a few days and be a tourist in Moscow. I know it's expensive to stay there and I'm assuming food ain't cheap.

How safe is it there? My plan is to use an American touring company, Viator, for some of the touristy stuff, so I won't be alone all the time. But I get an impression that there are tons of thieves.

Any experiences with Moscow?

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother went to school there... oh wait... that's Moscow, Idaho... Nevermind

3. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I never did say Russia. But that is what I meant.

I will be there for 3 weeks before Christmas and then 8 weeks afterwards. But I'll be in Sochi for the Olympics. I'm not competing, lol.

I better learn to speak Sputnik.

4. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never been, but I've always wanted to go since seeing pictures and movies shot there.

If you do go, report back!

5. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience was that Moscow is like any large city - it has good and bad areas. The major tourist attractions are well policed. Stay on main thoroughfares and don't venture off into the side streets unless you are with a group.

Bill

6. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Birmingham, England. But born and raised in Bonny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like any large city, you need to be streetwise, by all means have a few drinks, but do not get too drunk, you will attract the wrong kind of attention!

Other than that, enjoy yourself, it is about 6-7 years since I was in Moscow, missed a flight connection @ Domodedovedo and spent the night in the city center at a very expensive SAS Raddison hotel, luckily the company were picking up the tab.
    No one will bother you unless you stand out from the normal tourist types.

One thing that got me was, just how small Red Square was, it always looked much bigger on the TV all those years ago.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all. I'm pretty good at being street aware and avoiding trouble.

Now I have to see if the travel agent can move my return flight.

8. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spent 2 weeks in Moscow this summer - 1st week on a tour, 2nd on my own. If you have been to Paris or London, then you can handle Moscow.

Their metro is excellent, and you can take it (safely) to any area in Moscow. With about 15 million people, and 25 million cars - traffic and crowds can be a problem, however, if you keep to major tourist areas, no problem.

Language barrier is the only thing - only about 5% of Russians speak English, but, at the touristy places, you will find English - very little/no English signs though.

It is very pricey - they are a very rich and lovely city, with a proud history, however, that comes at a price - hotels will run you $200-$250 night for normal off-the-beaten-path place.

I like the idea of touring for the few days you are there - visit the major sights and have them worry about transportation, lines, etc. By yourself, not as easy to get around, until you are comfortable about city.

Check for Visas - the hotel will keep them for your stay, and you must mention where you are staying -they are very strict about this. I paid about $300 for my Visa for the 2 week stay, and it took almost 1 hour to fill out - very complicated.

Have fun!

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there several years ago for business. Moscow was great, except for all the Russian people.

10. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Went about same time you're talking about for a motorcycle race, I hated it.

You could tell the older people DO NOT like Americans. You see them looking at you and talking. It's cold as hell. Everything is covered in snow, gray and dirty. Might be nice in summer, but a rat hole in winter.

It is cool to stand in Red Square, see St Basil's, go into GUM....but the airport is bizarre on arrival, departure an even more bizarre system.

You need to have a visa, I'm sure you know that, and the hotel will keep your passport until you check out, and that's freaky scary

I might go back in summer, but winter, no way

11. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll have a Visa from working there. I figure it can't be much colder than a ski slope during the Olympics, which I may have to go to fix things.

At this point, if they can move my return flight then I will take a few days in Moscow. If not, or if I have to pay a few hundred I may skip it.

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Consider some place along the Black Sea like Odessa? We did a Black Sea cruise a couple years ago and it was SOOOOO lovely.

Though St. Petersburg is on my to-visit list, and I'm a big fan of Russian history, I don't have a strong desire to visit Moscow. Istanbul, on the other hand - I've been there twice and can't wait to go back!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.