1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What do you use for your Vegas photos

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious, do you take a dedicated camera with you to Vegas or do you typically use the camera on your phone? Im at a toss up here. Last trip I took a camera with me but found my phone took better photos, guess that teaches me to listen to the sales guy at Best Buy. I thought about buying a DSLR but am not sure I want the hassle of carrying it and everything to go with it. I plan on getting a new Iphone and may just use it, seems the new 5s takes great photos.

2. Warmgingerale

Warmgingerale Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just use my phone. It's always on me and the Iphone takes pretty good pictures. The less to carry the better.

3. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Between Kris and I we have decent camera on our phone (Samsung Focus II & Samsung One VX)
    But we also have a small point & shoot camera we take in her purse (Panasonic DMC-TZ4; we got it free)

4. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Phone for sure.

In fact, its a good thing they made a camera for phones, because now I can actually take pictures. Just never really been a camera carrier.

Actually, I don't really carry anything that won't fit in my pockets. Except for beer. I'll always spare a hand to a beer...:beer:

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, pretty impressed with the iPhone 5 camera, it's good enough for me.

I did take a camera one trip and after the first day got tired of carrying the damn thing around and it sat in my room the rest of the trip.

6. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    phone...

7. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Camera. My phone is an old flip phone with no camera in it.

9. OntheStrip

OntheStrip Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My cell phone.

10. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like the majority uses phones. Are you using a cloud service like Dropbox to ensure that the photos are not gone if you lose your device?

I'm guessing I more than likely will be using an iPhone soon, if I'm impressed with the photos that will be what I use in Vegas. Photos are important to me, quality is important but so is convince

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to sound like a snob here, but to me, anyway, taking serious photos with a phone is about as absurd as using my old trusty Pentax K1000 to make a phone call! :)

I've used a number of cameras, both film and digital, to photograph Las Vegas over the years. I prefer film for the night shots mainly because of the dynamic range. Las Vegas night scenes range from surface-of-the-sun white to black-cat-in-coal-bin dark. Even with the best exposure, some of the neon will be blown out and some of the shadow detail will be buried in the mud.

I usually use a rangefinder for the night shots, either a Canon GIII or a Mamiya SD. The combination of 1970s vintage glass and 21st. century film hits a sweet spot for night time and low light photography. I've tried digital for night shots (I have two, an older Kodak and a newer Fuji) but I keep going back to film for those.

For Las Vegas daytime shots, I'll use both film or digital, set things to auto or "sunny 16" and compose and shoot. One thing I do need is a real viewfinder. I just cannot compose on a video screen with the camera held out from me.

I know I've posted these links a number of times, but here are some examples of my Las Vegas shots from over the decades:

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2009/05/sin-city-nights.html
    http://omababe.blogspot.com/2008/05/on-carnival-court.html
    http://omababe.blogspot.com/2008/04/weegee-on-fremont-street.html
    http://omababe.blogspot.com/2009/07/final-frontier.html
    http://omababe.blogspot.com/2009/08/stardust-to-dust.html
    http://omababe.blogspot.com/2009/10/dust-of-stardust.html
    http://omababe.blogspot.com/2011/06/downtown-las-vegas-then-and-now_06.html
    http://omababe.blogspot.com/2012/01/bibi-ho.html

Topics include things like the last days of the Stardust, last night at the Frontier, final days of The Ho, Downtown then and now (same scenes, 30 years apart), various night and day scenes, etc.

12. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I viewed all of the links here, loved seeing pics from when I was a kid. Stardust was the first real resort we stayed in (I don't count circus circus mannor rooms). We started staying there I think in 94 or 95. There was a lady that worked at the logo shop that worked there for years, she remembered me every trip. Ralphs diner was good and the buffet was nice. Spent countless nights sitting outside the bar by the pool while people were doing karaoke, met lots of girls my age which was around 14 and up to 20, I thought I was a stud, lol. We stayed there every trip, was supposed to stay there for the only trip I made with my wife (now ex) but we choose nyny, at the time we didn't expect it to ever be gone. I wish I still had all the pictures and vhs tapes I did at the dust and those trips, so much I have not thought about until this post.

13. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a phone, so I take a small, but very nice point and shoot camera for my winning shots.
    Haven't had to use it for the last 5 trips (no wins) so I am beginning to believe it is a bad luck charm! lol

14. AlwaysVegas

AlwaysVegas Now it's mostly Reno.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When friends ask for my pictures of Vegas I tell them to Google Vegas and it looks JUST like that. :evillaugh

15. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    depends on the activity; if i'm just bopping around i'll just use my phone, otherwise I'll bring along the DSLR to purposely seek out good pics

16. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are that serious about wanting a DSLR but do not want to carry around bulk, you should really really REALLY look into this camera...http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g15

I just bought it for my next trip in Dec. I've brought my big Canon 450D with both a zoom and prime telephoto. Beautiful pictures from atop The STRAT but very bulky to carry around. I used to have a fantastic point and shoot, Canon A710, but the flash went on that after 20,000 pics, and have been looking for a good replacement since, and now I've found an outstanding one in the Canon G15. It as easy as a point and shoot in auto, or you can be as creative as any DSLR with aperture, shutter, EV+-, filters. Built solid, 28-140mm zoom, extreeeeeemly fast lens 1.8-2.8 for low light or night time (great for vegas at night), large sensor for great quality images, shoots raw if that's your thing, long battery life, and has full HD movie. It's really worth the look.

But it doesn't make phone calls

17. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Point and shoot camera that fits in one of my pockets

Got a new one this week with a 20x zoom cant wiat to use it on my next trip

18. xman30

xman30 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My past few trips I've been using a Canon Powershot SX130. I meant to take my new Canon Eos Rebel T3 DSLR during my June trip, but it somehow got left behind. Luckily I had the Powershot in my suitcase. I'm definitely going to take the T3 with me during my December trip, along with the Powershot.

xman30

19. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The IPhone 5s works perfectly well for 99% of pictures out there.

I would recommend a DSLR if you want to have photography being more of a hobby. I would not get one just because it is going to magically take better pictures. In some situations they may be better, but you will never notice a difference.

If you want just another camera that is smaller. I have heard great reviews on the Sony Cybershot R series. They aren't cheap though. I think they start ~$600. The biggest benefit to me with this is it will shoot in RAW so for those special pictures you can do some editing and make them even better. That is more difficult to do with jpegs.

Again though, unless you want to make it a hobby, I would just stick with the iphone. It is an amazing camera for its size.

20. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, they came along way in these, last one I looked at was the g3 before getting a dslr when I was doing senior and model portfolios. Right now I'm mixed on what I want to achieve, thing is I don't print, just share online usually

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.