1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thanksgiving Trip Hotel Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by M_ILIS, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm considering throwing together a two-night trip starting Thanksgiving day and staying downtown for the first time ever. I have no comps or anything like that and I'm trying to keep it relatively low cost. I'll need two rooms, at least one of which has to have two beds. Here's what I'm looking at for hotel rooms/rates (Thursday/Friday rates):

Downtown Grand
    2 Queen Beds $67/$101 ChoiceHotels.com AAA prepaid rate, $11 per night resort fee TOTAL: $190x2=$380

MSS
    Deluxe Two Queens $80 per night TOTAL: $160x2=$320

Golden Nugget
    Carson Tower Deluxe 20% off Email deal $55/$87, $5 per night resort fee TOTAL: $152x2=$304

The D
    Deluxe Two Queens $29/$49, $20 per night resort fee TOTAL: $118x2=$236

It'd be fun (fingers crossed) to stay at DT Grand essentially in their first month of operation, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra dough, especially compared to The D, whose rates almost seem too good to be true. Any insight/advice/pros/cons from anyone who has stayed at these properties? Thanks.

2. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you are looking for a vote, I'd say Golden Nugget for sure!

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am assuming that you are bringing other people since you need two rooms & two beds.

Personally, I'd jump on that GN offer. There is an excellent chance that all will be pleased.

I have stayed at the others (except Downtown Grand). And there is an excellent chance that somebody will complain about something.

Also, thecDowntown Grand and MSS are not right on the FSE like the GN & the D.

I do hope that you enjoy your trip!

4. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went with Downtown Grand, on a cancelable reservation (in case it gets terrible reviews, doesn't have its shit together when it opens or prices drop dramatically).

It came down in price a little bit from the prices I listed above, so it'll be just over $400 total including tax and resort fees for the two rooms, two nights. I didn't pull the trigger on the GN email deal before it expired, but I wasn't too excited about a Carson Tower room anyway, based on what I've read. Reviews of The D also scared me off a little bit. While lots of people say the rooms are fine, a few seem to hate it and I fear my wife might be among that crowd. The notoriously bad elevators are also a turnoff. MSS is appealing to me but ultimately, the chance to stay in a hotel that is brand new for just a little more money won the day.

One additional factor was that the rates I listed above were quoted for 2 adults only, when one of the rooms will have our 2 kids with us as well. When you price Golden Nugget including the 2 kids in the room, each night went up something like $30! MSS goes up $20 a night with the kids in the room. Downtown Grand was the only one where four people in the room was the same price as two, so now the kids won't have to hide while we're checking in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.