1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Motel 6 on Tropicana. Anyone ever stay there?

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by Todd_Royce_XXL, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife surprising me with a 2 day excursion to Las Vegas in February during our cross country move.
    Since we'll have our pets with us, our options are limited. Since many hotels in Vegas don't allow cats, our options are limited even greater. And since this is just a break in the middle of our move, and not a full blown vacation we need to find something for as little as possible.

The Motel 6 on Tropicana hits all of these points for us. No pet fee, allow cats, budget pricing for sure.

Has anyone here ever stayed there? I know the ol' "You get what you pay for" and believe me, we're not expecting this to be the nicest place we've ever stayed. Just looking to get some honest reviews of your experience.

Thanks

SSS :wink2:

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed there one night about five or six years ago. It was the nicest Hotel 6 I had ever seen. But still, it was a Hotel 6. Small and not much to it. But it was clean. Little noisy at times. It was mostly filled with younger people travelling, I assume, on a budget. But it wasn't scary or unpleasant by any means

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    theres one by mgm and one of trop and deanm martin.

the one bydean martin gets a lot of day workers and nite workers

4. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed on the one at Tropicana and Koval my very first visit to Las Vegas, but that was when Clinton was in office. It wasn't a fleabag even back then, just a standard Motel 6. The website looks like it has had the Motel 6 update they seem to be rolling out across the country.

The location was not bad or dangerous, just a short walk to San Remo (err....Hooters), and then right to the Tropicana. Now, on that first visit, it happened to be 115-120 degrees, so I would have to guess your walk will be much more pleasant!

:beer:

5. Todd_Royce_XXL

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds good! Thank you.

Paperposter, yes we're looking at the one on Trop & Koval by MGM.

6. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    except for the normal its fine, i guess my question is hooters much more than motel6 for ur stay or quad.
    i would perfer those over a m 6 just my 2 cents

7. Todd_Royce_XXL

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely don't disagree, the issue is the cats. Neither Quad nor Hooters allow cats. I'm not sure I understand it, as dogs (we have one dog too, so I'm not "hating on them") are the barkers and don't have a nice little box that they can relieve themselves in, so I don't get it.
    Of course, some cats spray and scratch up the carpet, so maybe it does make sense? :peace:

8. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    most hotels know allow pets i know cet has pet rooms . you might have to poke around some more .ps just dont let the maid in and the cats will be fine anywhere.i think theres a nicer sulotion than motel 6 ,just tell them its a secvice cat and i need as my gambler annyomous sponsor:thumbsup:

9. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before I started getting room comps a couple of years ago, this was my go to place to stay. Nothing but good things to say about it.

An added bonus is that the convenience store out front has normal pricing on everything, not inflated strip prices.

10. Todd_Royce_XXL

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's good to know as well Crussader. I have always enjoyed the Coco's Restauarant that's right by there as well.

Definitely looking like this won't be a bad option, Thanks.

11. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walked by the motels in this area before and checked out the rooms. They looked fine for a couple nights stay! Just a 5 minute walk to MGM.

12. charliepeete

charliepeete Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes i stayed there back when the room was 695 1971 a great stay

13. franco802

franco802 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My girlfriend stayed there with her friends about 5 years ago. She said it wasn't bad. She also stayed at the Super 8 which I think is next door or down the street? She said it was a total disgusting shithole.

14. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stayed at the Motel 6, Tropicana across from the MGM Grand Arena twice for a week each time. The first time, my trade show was moved to the MGM which had a "deal" for attendees of $120/night plus tax. I looked on the map to see what was closeby and more affordable. I called Motel 6 for a quote and the price averaged out to about $35/night (circa 2000). Needless to say I booked at Motel 6. First of all it was a short shuttle ride. Check in was easy and I requested 2nd floor (no one above you). I was given a room on the left side of the property as you would see it standing in front of the MGM across the street, room facing west. It looks like motel 6 bought a property and then acquired another one on the other side of the restaurant adjacent to it. In other words, there was a restaurant and motor lodge in between the 2 halves of Motel 6. I thought this was odd but it was irrelevant.

The room was smaller than my first couple of stays in LV with a single queen and bathroom with just a shower,no tub. The queen bed was fine and comfortable, space was quite adequate since I was solo and don't spend much time in my hotel room, and prefer a shower to a tub anyway. The room was modern, clean and bright. This was the end of February. Check in was quick and easy and the room was like an oven. Being from NH it was like running the heat in August so I shut the heat off and opened the windows and doors to get the room to my comfort level and went down to get an extra blanket. Rooms have an exterior entrance but parking was adequate and close (not relevant to me). I was delighted to be an 8 minute walk to my trade show, save $85/nt, be near a bus stop, and have a convenience store right on the premises.

Inconvenient was the lack of a fridge. I do like to keep milk and juice on hand as well as soda. Of course there was ice so I made do. There was a mention of a Super 8 in another post and tho I'm told that they are independently owned and differ a lot my one experience in one in Connecticut while visiting my mom with my wife and young kids was a disaster and I have never stayed at another. However, with 3 kids in college I have stayed at other Motel 6 properties and they not only had small fridges but also microwaves that were clean and worded well. I don't know if they all do now or not but it made things a lot more convenient even though they were short stays.

Getting back to Motel 6 Tropicana, I was awakened to a loud crash sufficient enough to set off car alarms. I jumped out of bed, grabbed my glasses and peeked out the drapes. The restaurant in the motel between the 2 parts of Motel 6 has their dumpster emptied between 3:30 and 4:30 am each morning! Next day I woke up and just rolled over and fell back to sleep. After the 3rd night didn't even wake up. My second trip was a bit more interesting. I left after a snow storm and the plane was delayed 2 hours as Wonderful United was rebooking all the people cancelled the day before. My connecting flight took off 10 minutes prior to our arrival and the stewardess was telling people of their connedtions. I asked what I was to do and was told there would be someone at the end of the ramp to advise. Of course, that got me off the plane and out of her hair. No one at the end of the ramp, of course, and so I stood in line at the gate desk for half an hour and was told to go to customer service at gate C12 t find a line about 60 deep and 4 across which moved 20feet in the 1st hour. someone in front of us rebooked using his new tiny cell phone (days of the bag phone, remember?). The guy next to me changed his flight to LA and a shuttle into LV. He handed me the phone and she wanted me to wait at O"Hare til the morning. I answered that I didn't think so, and I ended up flying to San Francisco to be shuttled at 10:45 to LV. This would have been the next day 1:45 am eastern time . My original flight was supposed to have started at 6am so I was up about 24 hours with little sleep for a few days prior to my vacation. Fortunaltely I was put on standby and flew out at 9:45pm Pacific time. Arriving in LV I was 12 hours late and the shuttle guys joked and said I hope they kept your room at Motel 6! I said I did too since I had already paid for it! Arriving, they had given my non-smoking room away but at that point I would have slept on the sidewalk. I took a smoking room which was not bad and moved the next day. Remembering the dumpster, I asked if there was anything on the east side of the complex. Oh yes, they responded. I thought how great is this, no one above me and no one in the room on either side of me. Then I realized why.......it was the end of the runway and a jet lifted off over me every 10 minutes. After an hour, you didn't even notice.....must be like living near a railroad station. A beeping smoke detector in the adjacent room did bother me but I called the desk and they took care if it in minutes. Prices at motel 6 in LV are not much different than back then. The rooms are basic but quite adequate and have always been clean, updated and a good deal.

Jimbo338

15. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at Motel 6 a couple of times way back when. I also stayed at Travelodge next to Harley. My main stay in motels was La Quinta Inn in the early to mid 90's just before NYNY and Monte Carlo were built (i also stayed at Imperial 400 across from T.I.).
    Motel 6 was decent, close to MGM (remember the Amusement Park)? It fulfilled my basic needs of having a comfy bed, a working shower, and parking next to my room. Having my car, especially in those days like the 80's-early 90's, was really beneficial because there really wasn't a quick place to eat, especially at night. So driving to Maryland Pkwy and Tropicana west (near Wild Wild West) was a godsend.

16. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quite a few years ago (8/9), a buddy of mine and I decided to stay here after vowing we wouldn't drive back to Santa Monica if we hit on a 2 team college basketball parlay.

Once Loyola Marymount covered and we hit it, we checked in for about $35.

The room was fine, but I went into the bathroom and sat on the hopper and the toilet wouldn't flush. Figuring it wouldn't smell too good if I just let that float around in there, I took the back of the toilet off and there, in a ziploc baggie, was $500 in cash floating in there.

This room gave me more of a return than any room I have ever stayed in in all of my visits out there.

17. Todd_Royce_XXL

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks again everyone!

18. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a lot nicer than anything I have ever found in a toilet that didn't work that I checked!

jIMBO338

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.