1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

PSA to all degenerates: THREE APPS THAT COMBAT DUI

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by win4me, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would certainly be curious to test those and see where I blew based on how I was feeling. there's certainly times when I know I'm not OK to drive, but I'd be curious to know if sometimes I'm really over the limit when I feel like I'm fine to drive. but I'm not $100-150 curious.

3. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am with you on that. It is much cheaper than a DUI though :nono: If I tended to drink & drive I would probably swing for it.

If anyone has experience with any of these apps, please do share.

4. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting apps, but I'd be curious to see how effective they are in combating DUI. IMO the vast majority of people that drink and drive know that they should not be behind the wheel, they just don't give a shit and choose to do so anyway.

5. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately you are probably right. Maybe I should have said "PSA to drunks who give a shit" :wink2:

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree. I think a lot of people really think they're OK to drive. if they could quickly and easily check, they might change their minds about driving.

the problem is 0.07 BAC is incredibly low. the limit used to be 0.1 or even 0.13 in a lot of areas. you can be legally drunk and still be functioning better than a lot of people behind the wheel. so a lot of times it's hard to know where you stand.

7. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This one was on Shark Tank. I can't remember the details of the deal the guy got, but someone definitely signed on with him.

http://www.breathometer.com/

I put in for a pre-order. I will use it more for informational purposes than having it make a driving decision for me though.

8. Kickin

Kickin Flea

If your true BAC is 0.07 (actually 0.08 over here) you shouldn't be driving even if you think you're fine. For most guys that is equivalent to taking 4 shots in short order (your BAC drops 0.01 every 30-40 mins) and driving right at the peak of your buzz. Your depth perception, peripheral vision, and reaction time are all hampered.

But the problem is your BAC could be much lower than what the breathalyzers show. First of all those machines need to be really well calibrated and their key parts are extremely sensitive. How rigorously and regularly is the average police department's equipment examined?

And then EVEN if it is perfectly calibrated the test itself is just taking an estimation based on your body having the standard ratio of alcohol in your lungs to alcohol in your blood. If your personal ratio is higher or lower than normal (just based on biological factors), the test will always be inaccurate. On top of that, the ratio in your body can change at different times and based on other things.

Add in the fact that the results can be affected by the way the test is administered and so forth....if you're just at or above the legal limit there is a statistically significant chance your true BAC is below the limit. But it doesn't matter, you can still be charged and have to fight it in court.

There are a lot of tests out there to check your insulin levels without drawing blood. But doctors don't recommend diabetics use them because the most accurate measure to check your blood insulin is to check the actual blood. Same with blood alcohol. I think if you fail a breathalyzer and are within a certain range you should be allowed to ask for a blood test. It can be quick and easy just like diabetics do multiple times per day, just done right on the spot. But I don't know if there are other legal issues with that, plus health issues, etc.

9. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not proud to say it but I've had a DUI before. Having gone through that ordeal $150 is chump change and well worth the money. I personally don't drink and drive at all anymore (3 years and counting) but having one would definitely be a good investment for anyone that does.

It could also act as a mental deterrent, much like radar detectors. I should probably get my gf one since she sometimes drives after a glass or two of wine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.