1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How to reason with S.O. and family who are against you going to LV ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by GilGunderson, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GilGunderson

GilGunderson Classy Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this is discussed in different ways on here once in a while, but i've caught some flack from my family and GF (we've been together almost 2 years) for wanting to make yet another trip to my favorite place. I do want to take a trip with my GF to wherever she would like to go for roughly a week, wherever that may be.

I've been to Vegas 4 times. GF came with me my last trip in March 2012 (i made a TR for those that would like to read), and she really enjoyed it. She has even said she'd like to get married there. However, she isn't thrilled that i would go on a separate vacation without her (like a guys trip), partly because she can only take so much time off work, and that i would blow my money on a place i've been to 4 times. My family also thinks it is ridiculous.

When i look at it objectively, i understand where they are coming from, but my argument is that i will go other places, provided i still have LV as my second Vacation. I'm not making it out this year, unless some unforeseen pile of money makes it's way to my residence. I'm happy to explore other places and cultures, but vegas is something i really look forward to, in planning and experiencing. They just don't get it i suppose.

I know most of you will agree with my stance. No one is stopping me from going. But they are far from supportive in this regard. Is there any way to reason with them, or as one family friend said "i think it's silly you'd want to go again, but you're an adult and should do what you want". Maybe this is just me venting to other addicts haha. Maybe i'm just trying to cram in my 20's while i'm still in them, before i have my own family and major responsibilities later on.

2. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy your 20s.

And enjoy your life.

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell them it's too bad that they see it that way but that you are going to go to Vegas regardless.

They'll be angry for a while but they'll get over it, for sure.

4. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if going to vegas stops you from vacationing with your girlfriend (provided you want to vacation with her) then i would come to some sort of compromise. maybe she can pick a destination. maybe she can surprise you and book it and pay for it up front. if she just doesn't think you should go, then that is a stupid reason and i'd run for the hills. control while dating becomes a nightmare when married.

as far as family is concerned, who gives a shit. if they aren't paying your bills and putting a roof over your head what you do with your time and disposable income really shouldn't be of any concern to them.

obviously the opinions of a vegas veteran!

i'm 48 years old and have been married just short of 30 years. my wife goes with me about every fourth trip or so. otherwise its with friends for a gamble fest. she knows i enjoy it, i don't drain our bank account, so she says have fun, see you in a few days.

5. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 63 and stuck a deal with my wife (who hates Vegas) when I was in my late 20s. The deal was that she could always have two dogs and I could go to Las Vegas/Reno/Tahoe at least twice a year.

She doesn't like me going, but in almost 40 years she accepts it. BTW, I always go with one friend or solo.

6. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as your family goes, it's not their concern, you could easily go and return and they'd never miss you couldn't you? You may also want to ask them if they want your input on their traveling plans? With your girlfriend, just tell her "hey, in a couple of days, I'll be back"

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why is it that there seems to be an unending number of people perfectly happy to tell others what and how to enjoy there lives??? I think sco5123 provides the best advice above... now that said, with regards to your SO, there may well be a "price to pay". Frankly, those that exact too high a price aren't worth a relationship in, because they continue to exact that price on other things. I hope you're with a good girl, who will realize what "give and take" means and that you're not just a "taker", cause those kinda folks are just as bad in a relationship.

8. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said.

If your GF is going to raise a stink now, consider what it will be like if you marry.

As far as family goes, that's their problem, it's your life, not theirs. If they don't like it, tough.

No reason to go home yet.
  9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dump her. Seriously, just dump her.

You're welcome.

10. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Move to Vegas. This solves both problems as 1) you'll be away from family so you won't have to hear the bitching and 2) you'll never have to take a vacation to Vegas again, any time you leave town it will be a vacation elsewhere!

11. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    consider the karma when going and having the feeling in the back of your mind that all is not set for success....and although you failed to mention it if you come back a grump for a week or broke and moody, spend your $'s without proper back-up which impacts your bottom line, have an uncle / father / etc. who were determined to be a compulsive in the gambling department bringing grief and debt beyond their boundaries, then you may want to rethink.
    Most of the 20 somethings on the board are portrayed as having mom or dad's credit card for unlimited ridiculous use....congrats on what appears to be not the case. But I would agree with the previous posters as to the SO. Two years is a long time and you know her by now but GENERALLY the future does not hold an even MORE liberal spouse.

12. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya man dump her! g/fs are the worst!!

Actually some are great. I booked my trip a couple weeks ago without even telling the gf. After I booked it I was like hey I'm going to Vegas in a month! Her response was sweet have fun.

13. Jameezy

Jameezy RIP Riviera

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See I am lucky that everyone around me is a vegas addict I guess. Family loves vegas and my friends love vegas. I would make a deal with the gf. Some people don't understand how addictive vegas can be. Make a promise that you will carry no more than 900 bucks to vegas or lower so that way she knows you aren't doing bottle service and all that. It seems like she is just concerned about you spending money.

14. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Gather them all together and tell them you're having an intervention for them . Invite guys and gals like me and I'm sure many on this board who have been going many years and multiple times per year as examples of why you're right.:evillaugh

Seriously, there's no reasoning with folks like this and like has already been said, if your girlfriend is like this now, are you ready to quit going to Vegas when you're married? I sure as hell wouldn't.

15. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've learned not to bother engaging in Vegas conversation with non-believers.
    Those who don't or won't visit are often too willing to tell you things like "I work too hard for my money to spend it in Sin City"
    or some such other nonsense.
    I dislike talking about something I love with someone who's gonna crap all
    over it. Nope, not gonna do that. :nono:

Which is why I really enjoy visiting this board and chatting about our
    favorite place with the rest of you wonderful degenerates. :beer:

16. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

My wife hates vegas...she hates it so much, she rather I go solo or with friends...as long as she doesn't have to go. She probably hates it because I end up gambling the whole time and she is stuck with the kids.

If the reason your gf doesn't want you go to based on trust issues, then that is something you two will have to work out before you push buttons with the idea of vegas.

If the reason is because she is afraid you will blow away your savings, then you will have to prove you are responsible and have discipline.

17. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I"m with this guy. The first time my GF gives me a hard time about Vegas, she's gone. Thank god my wife is cool about Vegas. :evillaugh:beer:

18. OntheStrip

OntheStrip Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell them how you feel about it and how happy it makes you to go. If they have a valid reason then perhaps you can address it. If they know how you feel and they can't give you a valid reason not to go then ignore it. You are an adult and you are living your own life.

19. uli_1515

uli_1515 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell her youre going to a place...
    That has some of the best restaurants.
    Some of the top shows.
    Some of the most beautiful hiking areas.
    And tell her it is a secret.

That will fool her until the gate.

20. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. Dont discuss your Vegas trips with family/friends who dont understand. Its not their business what you do and you will get nothing but grief, trust me. Besides, you cannot convert the heathen unbelievers who are going to hell anyway.

2. Your girlfriend objects to you doing something that she knows you enjoy, but since she isnt into it, doesnt want you to go? Would you forbid her say, going to New York if she loved the shows there? Hell no! I say Curb her ass now! She needs to know you are a grown ass man who can do what he wants to do. If she is more interested in preventing you from doing things that bring you joy rather than being supportive because she wants you to be happy, I say put her ass in the road before its too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.