1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Non-Apple tablet recs?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by HoyaHeel, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Windows 8 or Android??

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been wondering the same thing.

Dan is usually my technical advisor and he just keeps saying, "Didn't you just get a netbook?" Yeah, over a year ago. Now it's too old. :)

3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you planning to do serious work on it? Basically, from what I've seen and heard, Windows 8 has a lot more capacity for a real "desktop" experience (running Microsoft Office, etc.), especially if you attach a keyboard to it, while Android is more app-oriented. Personally, I'm not a fan of tablets for anything more than messing around, so I've got a Kindle Fire HD that I use for reading, watching videos (though I love my laptop, the Kindle is far preferable for watching movies while traveling, although it's a huge pain in the ass to rip videos to it in advance), and the occasional game while commuting, and then a laptop that I use for everything else.

4. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm one of the few, but I have a Nook HD+. Does everything (except wireless print) that I want it to do: e-reader, movies (HD), chrome browser, Android, and it was cheap. Cheaper now ($149).

No reason to go home yet.
  5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the thing - I don't *need* a tablet and have been trying to come up with a justification for at least 2 years (which is one reason I don't have one:rolleyes2:) I have a kindle for travel reading. I have a smartphone for email & quick internet checks in the US (it's Android, so I would be familiar with the Android apps on an android tablet) I'm just not much of an app user. There are only a handful I've downloaded and use. If I travel for work, I have a laptop I bring and use. Basically, I think I want something I can bring to meetings to look up stuff quickly, and something we can travel with to replace hubby's netbook that he takes now. Nice for videos (for him) while traveling, and he downloads his photos daily during vacations when his daily photos can be numerous. So the USB thing is pretty key:peace:

6. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nexus 7 or Nexus 10.

Is there a quantified reason for non-Apple or just a bad perception of the brand? The iPad really is the best full size tablet you can get, although the iPad mini is pipped by the Nexus 7 at the 7" size.

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I refuse to use itunes. Ever.

8. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can honestly say that since iCloud and wireless backup came along I have not had to load iTunes a single time in the last six months with my iPad. I certainly wouldn't use it as a reason not to buy an iPad, although it is an appalling piece of junk on Windows (usable on OSX though....oddly).

The App Store is a separate app on iOS so you don't even have to load iTunes on there.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the surface is pretty bad ass. The surface pro if you need the outside programs and such.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a techie guy. I have a laptop and desktop. Anyway, I got this deal (free) on a Coby 7 inch Android 2.3 OS.

My wife used it for awhile and thought it sucked. So hard to do almost everything. I went out and bought her an Ipad 4. It is like night and day and the ease to do almost anything on the iPad compared to the Android. She loves it!

I carry the Android when we travel and I use it to check mail, but that is about it. If I really want to do something, I borrow her iPad. So simple to have multiple email accounts and to deactivate multiple accounts w/o losing all the settings. One button turns off my email account so hers doesn't get cluttered up with my stuff. Big fingers so I can't do almost anything on the Android w/o using the stylus.

I admit I always thought Apple was just over hyped, but this Ipad 4 is a really good product. She is seriously thinking maybe she would like an iPad mini better, just because of the weight and then I would inherit the full size iPad. TBD.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a "fun" tablet...I say Google Nexus 7

We got one for free via AT&T new sign-up and I really enjoy it.
    I Have a few computers (full tower, laptop, as well as an ASUS Netbook)
    I enjoy using the Nexus just to surf the web and stuff like that...but for any serious work, I'd use the netbook (if I'm on the go) the laptop if I'm at home (the wife is usually using the tower)
    But, I didn't read through the thread that well, but if you want a "tablet" just for a "tablet" then I'd definitely recommend the Nexus 7
    1.) GREAT screen (watched a few movies on it and it's great)
    2.) GREAT internal speaker (like I said, watched movies and the internal speaker was fine)
    3.) GREAT size (not too big like a 10", but not too small like my 4.3" phone)

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then Surface or better yet, Surface Pro is the way to go. Plus, you could use those to charge a phone on trip :thumbsup:

13. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had both an Android and a Windows tablet. The windows one was non-intuitive and tried to do too much, which ended up making every feature less useful. An example is depending on which way you swipe the screen, a different menu will pop up. The Android was just like and Android phone so no learning curve if you already have an Android phone.
    And my android tablet does USB and SD cards quite nicely thank you.

My vote is Android all the way :thumbsup:

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in Vegas when the Surface Pro was released and played with it in the Fashion Show mall - I loved it. But my budget isn't really $1000 for a tablet:eek:

Thanks for the input all!

15. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Microsoft Surface. It can do everything a laptop can. It has a USB port which Ipad will never have and most tablets don't either. It gives a full computer/laptop experience without the bulk.

A normal tablet is just a large screen smart phone basically.

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be fair, many people apparently want just that:peace:

My husband starts looking yesterday and apparently his needs are different from mine. Joy:rolleyes2:

17. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or a smartphone is just a small screen tablet.

Either way, it isn't as simple as that. The user experience differences make them completely different devices if the app has been properly thought out.

It's a bit like saying a BMW 1 series is just a small BMW 7 series.

18. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Nexus 7, a Kindle fire, an iPad and a Surface Pro.

I hardly ever use the kindle fire, I much prefer my dedicated kindle reader to the newer version.

Nexus 7 and iPad have better battery life for on the go use, but for sitting at home where I can have the Surface plugged in, that is my favourite at the moment.

For travelling, it's a tie between the iPad and Nexus.

19. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm waiting for the I-Pad Mini 2 Retina display. Should be here in 1-2 months. I'll wait. I bought a Samsung Galaxy 2 tab at Costco, didn't like it, going to send it to the Philippines to her sister.

20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any specifics about what you didn't like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.