1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any bicyclists here?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm getting back into riding after years of being away, getting ever lazier and fatter. I was never an epic rider, never done a century, even a metric, but I'd ride 20-30 multiple days a week.

I'm still in baby steps mode, but recently quit avoiding all the hills that invariably are part and parcel of riding directly from home. A change in equipment has been a godsend, and I'm starting to almost feel like I belong in the saddle, even as I still loom large over it. Now I need to cut back the caloric side of the equation! Yuck. lol

Anyone else ride? What are you on?

2. fas87

fas87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I commute about 8 miles round trip every day year round. It's great exercise, and I like getting outdoors every day.

The more you ride, the easier it gets. Keeping working, and you'll conquer those hills in no time.

3. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use to ride on roads. But too many cyclists were getting hit by cars here in Austin. So I switched to mountain biking and just starting riding trails. Austin has lots of good trails. The exploring is part of the fun of the riding. I get out four or five times a week. The road rides would be between 15-25 miles. The trail rides are only 10, but they are a much better workout than the road rides were.

I got so into it that I started building trails to connect the trails that I was riding on. I almost enjoy the trail building as much as the riding.

I was riding a 20 year old rigid Trek that has had just about everything replaced on it at least once. It still is a good bike. But then my brother in law got a new bike and gave me his Timberline GT hardtail. It's nothing special but it is doing it for me. Amazing what a little suspension does. However I am getting close to pulling the trigger and moving up to a 29er to broaden the choice of trails I can ride. Lots of rocky stuff on the trails around here.

4. johnnytwofingers

johnnytwofingers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have one of those electric bikes, makes tackling hills a breeze!

5. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just start back riding myself about a year or two ago but its really off and on. I am gonna start biking to work about a 6 mile trip 1 way once I get around to getting up the courage. I have done it once this summer and it was 1 of the hottest days of the year.
    I have a department store (Walmart) GMC Denali Road Bike and a Fuji Adventure Mountain Bike for my off road trail riding.

Its kinda to late for this year (ride is Sept. 21, 2013) but maybe we can get a group together for this Vegas ride next year.

http://rtcws.rtcsnv.com/vivabikevegas/

6. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I used to bicycle quite a bit. Several years ago, though, I was riding alongside a cargo truck and thought it was going to continue on through an intersection.
    So, I continued to pedal straight ahead. Unfortunately, the truck turned right. I could not stop in time and my bike got caught by the truck's back tires as it made the turn. The momentum tossed me off the bike into the undercarriage of the truck as it turned. Somehow, I manged to do a body roll on impact with the pavement and escaped from getting run over. The bike ended up being crushed.
    Have never really rode much since then.

8. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW were you wearing your helmet? I need to wear mine more often.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am looking to upgrade from a 1970's era Italian ten speed to something a little more current and Craigslist is my friend. There are a ton of bikes for sale as folks upgrade equipment. I just did a 13 mile ride at the Jersey Shore on a borrowed bike made in the last decade, and it felt great! No hills, flat as a pancake!

Andy, sorry to hear about your accident, but maybe there is a bike path or trail nearby that could be more inviting. Check out the rails to trails conservancy, it is a group that builds trails from abandoned rail beds. Here is a link to the trail finder where riders can find local bike trails. http://www.traillink.com/

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I used to bike to work every day. after awhile it started getting more dangerous, drivers see you as being in the way, some will tailgate you to scare you or think it's funny, others will actually try to pass you (in your lane) while you are still there. some people actually yelled at me to get off the road, unfortunately bike riders aren't appreciated on the sidewalk either and there are laws to keep bike riders off the sidewalks. after the umpteenth time of almost getting killed I decided to stop biking to work. really unfortunate because hawaii has such a decent climate that we could bike to work almost every day, just that there are no laws to protect the cyclist from drivers. :Þ

Nowdays I bike on weekends or days off but I usually take a more mellow ride and try to stay away from traffic.

I have a cannondale road bike and a gary fisher mountain bike but I don't ride as much as I used to.

11. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ride a lot. Last summer it was between 100-150 miles a week. Just for fun. The farthest I've gone this summer is about 60 miles though. I was doing about 30 miles three times per week up until recently though. So, I've fallen off the wagon. I always ride on the road and paved trails.

My first bike was a Fuji Roubaix. A couple of years ago I bought a Cervelo S2 and just kept the Roubaix as a backup... and I recently gave the Roubaix to a friend of mine.

Now I'm looking to purchase a Cervelo P3. After my trip to Vegas I will reassess that purchase!

12. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Trek Navigator 3.0. I had a Trek 300 but discovered the frame had a crack in it.
    With the lifetime warranty I received a BRAND NEW BIKE. I really love the new shifter handles.

13. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ride Mon, Tue 40 miles each and Thur and Fri, 35 miles each.

Attached Files:

14. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a cheap WalMart Mongoose 29'er.

15. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are lucky to have bikepaths. I can ride 2 miles on the street to get on the path and can go north 50 miles or south 10 where the path ends at the beach.

16. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to ride a lot but stopped for many years. This year I got back into it and did my first century in many years. But lately work got in the way and I haven't been riding as much. Once my schedule gets a little more normal I'm going to get back to doing a few 25 or so mile rides a week and a long ride on the weekend. I ride a 1995 Bianchi Veloce.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sold my Cannondale (R400) on craigslist earlier this year. Guy got a good deal on a pretty good bike, I made back about 65% of what I spent on the bike nearly 10 years ago. (We just got Terri a new Electra urban bike and now she wants to ride; she didn't ride in the past and newer felt comfortable with cleats and a road configuration. Our LBS presently has her K2 on the wall and if they can't move it it will go on craigslist, too.)

I replaced it with a Felt Z85. It was like going from a twitchy, buzzy scooter to a GT.

Amazing how many a-hole drivers are out there. Also amazing how many a-hole entitlement-minded cyclists are out there. We live in a small town in the middle of ruralville, so we face essentially none of the big city problems. Lots of avid to semi-pro riders around here, as well (Santa Barbara County). Sadly someone gets rolled up each year and, yes, at times it is an intentional hit. WTF?!

One of the things I loved about the PNW is the embrace of cycling. Now the weather was another matter.

I think PDX (or is it Metro or Multnomah County) is thinking about a bike reg program. I'm all for it. Roads and bike lanes aren't free.

Andy, not sure I'd heard that story from you. Wow. Tuck and roll, baby. And WEAR that brainbucket.

Thanks for the input, all.

18. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What little I'm on the treet I really notice alot more so many drivers on their cells and looking down texting. The stupid cyclist that have to run the stop signs and stuff make the rest of us that don't do that look bad because non cyclist drivers sees and kid on a bike doing something stupid then as far as they are concerned, all cyclist are jerks.
    Just finished 40 10 mimutes ago. It's really getting steamy and I'm glad I'm done.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't that a Tri/TT bike? You're an animal.

Shok, nice Madone.

20. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 60th birth present to myself.:thumbsup: Had a real nice black carbon specialized roubaix before that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.