1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tables Vs. Slots

Discussion in 'Comps' started by hitmanct13, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitmanct13

hitmanct13 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For low rollers do you guys think it is wise to throw in some slot play while in vegas? I'm asking because I usually play craps at $10 min, buying in with $300 and i'll play 3-4 hours at a time while my grandma who goes with $500 for the whole trip plays penny and nickel slots (and some VP) and gets comped rooms everywhere while I get discount rates. We both play at CET properties. I hate slots but do you think I should bring $100 just for some slot play?

2. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said, don't play for comps.
    However CET loves slot play and $100 in slots will probably mean more in comps than $300 at dice.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably, especially if OP is a pass-line only player. And it should be that way. $10 on the pass line is nothing compared to the average penny slotter's bet in terms of expected loss. Betting $2 a spin on slots means triple digit expected losses per hour! Just betting the pass line for $10 (no come bets) in comparison would only give the house a few bucks per hour in expected loss.

But I agree, don't play for comps, because it's not like they comp 100% of your losses. Play what you like and are comfortable with, and pay for the rest that isn't comped.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  4. hitmanct13

hitmanct13 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree and do play to actually win instead of chasing comps, I just found it weird that my grandma had comps everywhere when I don't yet play more then her. I usually play $10 on pass and $10-15 behind it and usually play some on either 689. Next time I'll experiment and bring $100-200 for some slots and see what the difference is.

5. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comps for craps is probably on the low end. It is incredibly hard to keep track of all bets and then track avg bet accurately. I would be surprised if the pit tracked anyone playing red chips that well on craps. They may enter in a value, but it is completely up to what times they do that. When they have time might actually end up being the start of the roll rather in the middle of some heater.

If you are curious, I would ask the pit boss after your next longish session what your avg bet was. This will at least give you a starting point on where comps should be.

On whether or not $100 in slots will help. With CET, more than likely the answer is yes. You won't get a bunch of free rooms from it though. At most I think you are looking at getting a decent portion of that $100 back in discounts.

6. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another issue might be betting only $10 a hand on craps. Your total potential loss won't be factored in a lot of times at that level. Many properties won't rate you unless you're dropping $25 a hand on table games.

7. VegasKing

VegasKing High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CET rewards slots more than tables
    MLife rewards tables more than slots

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks I'll remember that!
    My gf (and I) are doing the 2500 daily TC for the 5000 point bonus (once a month) but since CET is weird, we ONLY play that on her card/8...
    But I'm a big craps player, so I have to basically play unrated on dice...
    Looks like now I know where to go play dice in Vegas and GET rated (I'm usually a green chip player ($30 6/8 and 10 or 4)

9. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have separate cards, there is no reason you can't use yours at craps. I agree that MLife is probably a little better, but don't play unrated for that reason. Now if they are linked, there may be other reasons why you want to play unrated.

10. JAMES WILSON

JAMES WILSON Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im like grandpa

I play penny and 5ct machines and have not payed for a room inyears comp labor day comp newyears and you guys are right I don't just play for comps I just play memorial day weekend at the nugget won 1175 on a penny machine

11. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree and it might be like 500$ at dice.

12. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure how you play craps but if you are looking to increase your rating remember that odds don't count.
    If you play come bets with odds you will only have your line bet plus come bet count.
    Try placing the 6/8 it will increase the house edge slightly but increase your rating.

13. jj123321nv

jj123321nv Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All comes down to house advantage.
    Higher house adv gets quicker comps .

14. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comps for craps is notoriously crappy. esp if you're not throwing down hard ways and other middle bets. Also playing that low you're likely not even getting rated every time and it's likely not very accurate.

15. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you going to get $100 worth of entertainment value from losing that $100 playing slots? Or, more accurately, since you are going to earn maybe $5 (or whatever) back in comps, are you getting $95 in entertainment value from losing that $100 in slots?

If not, don't play slots. Save the $100 to BUY a meal or room to get $100 entertainment value out of it.

16. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you actually hate slots then you shouldn't play them - on vacation you should be there to have fun and enjoy yourself.

As said: slot players do tend to get better comps, that is largely because they can cycle so much money through the machines - just 50 cents per spin can add up to $350-500 per hour played through the machines, depending on how fast one plays.

But the key here is that most slot players play all day long by cycling their winnings back through the machines... having $100 to play slots with isn't going to get you much of anything unless you pretty much do the same thing: not just sit there and play for maybe 30-60 minutes and lose your c-note, but actually find a good low volatility game where you can get a lot of play out of your $100 by playing it through over and over again all day long...

If you are a slot hater, you aren't going to want to do that - you would need a day with something like buying in for your $100 at a machine where you can spin at 10-20 cents per spin and sit there for 7-8 hours. For somebody who loves slots thats a great way to spend a day... for somebody who hates them you would probably rather be off chewing glass or something :) :) :)

17. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the low roller the slots are the way to go for comps.
    It is also important to know which property one is playing.

As others mentioned, don't play for comps but if in the mode to play a particular games it doesn't hurt to be educated on what property would benefit you the most.

18. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's not really true across the board. Mlife does reward tables more than CET at most levels, but at low levels it's probably a toss up. but CET really only rewards low level slot players more than Mlife. at the higher levels of slot play, you're still better off with Mlife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.