1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Internet with Multiple Computers

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by codingkw, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, I know that we now have to pay the resort fee at the Flamingo and we get free internet. I have a few questions. I work from home for more then one company which means more then one laptop. I see that it says only one computer. Does this mean one computer all week long? If I want to use both how much do they charge me for the second computer? Can I use one computer one day and a different one the next day?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. We were just at a hotel in Seattle that had free room WiFi and they asked how many devices we would be using. At the time, I thought what a strange question.

Waiting for some knowledgeable replies.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about flamingo specifically, but I do know that everywhere I've been I connect to the wifi with my laptop and both our cell phones with no problem.

this is off topic, but you have a separate laptop for each company? separate email accounts, yes, but entirely separate laptops seems strange to me. I have several different clients, but I use my same laptop for work for all of them.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time we stayed in a hotel that had a 1 device policy for wifi (TI, I think), we used Connectify on my laptop and connected my smartphone and my husband's netbook through that.

It's possible that Flamingo will just note "1 device" per 24-hour period, so you could alternate - but if you need to work on each device every day, you're probably better off setting up a wifi hotspot with one of them:peace:

5. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just buy a small router and learn to configure it and then take it with you many of them today are extremely small

you could even get a wireless one and then not be tethered right to the desk in the hotel, but be sure to learn how to set it up properly so the wireless network is encrypted and remember you will probably need a cat 5 cable still to hook one computer up wired to configure the router to start

2 extra pounds of luggage (at most) and 15 minutes (at most) and you are on your way

6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what it is called but the husband has something that he plugs into his laptop...makes it a hot spot... we use as many devices as we want that way. I'm sure someone up here knows what it is called. One device per resort fee.

7. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work in the medical field and each client requires their own VPN and it's easier for them to configure their own laptops. I know it's a pain..I have two work and one personal. I'm hoping I wont have to work at all but if I do, I will pray that I can just alternate each day.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was curious enough to call the Seattle hotel and ask the about the device question they asked when we checked in. I was told it is an unlimited number of devices, but each device requires a different pin number.

EDIT: Just called the Portland ME hotel we are staying at next month and they do not charge for extra devices. They have free room wifi. I never thought of any of this before but my wife became addicted to her new iPad and I still like having my laptop.

9. farkingidiot

farkingidiot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Codingkw- Staying at Encore, Wynn and Ceasars, I was using my laptop and both my wife and I logged into our room wifi with our smartphones, all at the same time. No extra charges and nothing was every mentioned. I do that almost every trip.

10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimmy Poon, the tech wizard at the RFW, says "going forward, could you look at swapping hard drives out of the same laptop, that way you could only take one".

11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can't reliably boot a drive on a foreign set of hardware. So they would each have had to be setup on the same laptop which defeats the purpose.

12. SikDmax

SikDmax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just always bring a small router with me and plug into the rooms wired Internet (usually faster) then have a router right in my room for a strong wifi connection.

13. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dlink dir 505 shareport

I just purchased the dlink dir-505 shareport.

Techy friend recommended and has used it :)

Good luck

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As to mutiple computers.... I think you can set up separate hard drive partitions and boot to the appropriate one.

Require a large hard drive of course.

15. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the OP may well be in a position where the computer is supplied by the firm he is consulting for or the information on the computer is property of the firm he is working for and subject to being recalled/taken back by the firm and the firm has the right to have their IT personnel go onto that computer and delete information or clear the hard drive

that would pretty much make it impossible to share a hard drive or a single computer when working with two different firms

16. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are very correct. I cant change the hardware, I can't download software. I'm thinking the hot spot might work the best if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.