1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which Strip hotels have DVD players in the room?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by RRT_Liz, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RRT_Liz

RRT_Liz Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like such a stupid question, and I'm sorry, but I need to know which hotel rooms offer DVD players for room use. My fiance and I are looking at going to Vegas the week of Thanksgiving. It will be our first time visiting (but hopefully not our last!). We definitely want to stay right on the strip, preferably near the center (Bellagio, Bally's, etc).

I am doing a workout program on DVD and I really do not want to skip an exercise day just because I am on vacation (trying to lose weight before the wedding!). I know the hotels have fitness centers, but I really want to stick with my DVD program.

Any suggestions? I'd be really grateful!

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very few have DVD players in the room - they sell movies through pay per view and that would cut in to it, plus be another thing they have to monitor and maintain from guest to guest.

Otherwise, three thoughts:

a) You should actually look in to using the fitness center. Doing the same routine day after day is just going to exercise the same muscles over and over again while ignoring the same others. Changing up your routine will also help you avoid hitting a plateau or if you do hit one get your through it faster.

b) Thanksgiving is four months from now... for a couple of days you would think you should be able to remember the routine

c) You can buy a portable DVD player for around $20-25 on the low end, even lower if you can find a sale. Also, some TVs in the hotel rooms will have the input jacks on the back so you can pack along the cables and plug your portable player in to the TV. Also handy if you want to watch a movie or something while waiting at the airport or on the flight.

d) If you have a smart phone you can rip the video from the DVD and transfer it to your phone and for a couple of days watch that - just set it on the table or TV stand in front of you.

3. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Auggie I love you posts. You take the most simple questions and answer them with a 184 page novel. 182 pages of the novel really have nothing to do with the original question but the other 2 pages are pure gold; full of useful, helpful, and informative facts.

With that said, yup reply D is the best. Just rip your workout to your phone and watch it!

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? I don't know if 99% of my reply was useless...

With questions like the OP's, when the answer isn't going to be helpful (in this case that very few hotels, if any, will have a DVD player) I try to answer what should be the most logical follow up question, in this case: "Well then, what are my options?"

Done because there might be something that the OP didn't consider as an option or somebody who has the same issue might not have thought of...

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey ma'am/sir I'm just giving you some shit, take it with a grain of salt. Internet forums are nothing but a place for people to express their opinions.

6. ex507

ex507 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are looking for a mid-strip property and you need a DVD player you can check in at the flamingo. It definitely has a perfect location and has a DVD player. At least the GO-Rooms for sure. And the sound of this entertainment center is just AMAZING!

7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ones that I know of:

Venetian
    Palazzo
    THEhotel (at least before the current remodel)
    Flamingo GO rooms

There are some properties that have DVD players in certain suites, but I don't think that's what you're after.

8. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    V/P has them in the standard room. Otherwise, look at suites. I know the Cypress suite at Bellagio has them, as does the penthouse suite at Mandalay Bay

I Need Spa
  9. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have a laptop you could bring that can play DVDs?

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would go for the PC or Tablet option myself.

11. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not all Flamingo rooms have DVD players. In regards to the Flamingo Luxury Go Rooms...

"The new accommodations indulge tech-savvy guests with a host of cutting edge digital accessories including top-of-the-line sound system, iPod docking station, CD/DVD player, electronic window treatments and wireless internet connections. Rooms are also equipped with 42" flat panel television sets and built-in screens in the bathroom mirrors."

12. Vegas dreaming

Vegas dreaming Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at tropicana last year, on a comp, & requested a dvd player installed in the room in order to exercise & our request was honored.
    Just call & ask. The worst that could happen is they say no.

13. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huh, I'm surprised how many places actually do have DVD players. Granted, I barely watch TV let alone look for a DVD player when I'm in Vegas, but it seems like no hotels would have them (save for maybe some suites). Logically, it's an added cost to the hotel to put them in (and replace them), and it's an amenity that would rarely be noticed, let alone used or appreciated. Nobody is going to pay more for a room because it has a DVD player, and anyone who would choose that particular room/hotel just for the DVD would be few and far between it would seem. Furthermore as it was pointed out, it would eat into their PPV revenues.

14. Delmar27

Delmar27 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Palazzo/Venetian, Flamingo Go Rooms for sure still have DVD players. Hard Rock HRH suites have removed theirs, as well as THEhotel has also removed them.
    But, another easy option, is that Mirage, Aria, and I believe MGM now have the media I/O panels located in the rooms, making any type of AV hookup a snap, letting you hookup your own DVD player, laptop, other device. Easy and convenient.

15. anton73

anton73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    use a product like DVD Fab to rip the DVD's to a laptop (if you don't have one with a DVD), tablet or even phone

16. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL @ fitness video.

Bow-chicka-bow mow.

17. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria, Vdara, Bellagio, MGM, and I think a couple others will have DVD capability in some of the nicer rooms -- i.e., suites, etc. There are great technology setups in the newer hotels like Aria that would let you hook up the laptop to the TV.

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually HRH Tower suites still have them... they're built into the cabinet that houses the TV's. I stay there monthly, but to be fair always stay in one of the corner-suites and they've always had them. You may have stayed in a room that had one removed for some reason?

Though not "on the strip", I also recall the Nugget Gold Club rooms had them, as well as the several rooms I stayed in over in the Rush Tower.

19. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd just buy one...they're dirt cheap these days ($20-$30) and some of them are quite small...certainly small enough to pack. Throw in an HDMI cable and you're all set.

20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hooking up your own cable is hit and miss.

Some hotels now have a whole A/V hookup thing that works great. Other hotels, especially if not remodeled have locked down the option to change source, so it will not work. Even if remodeled, you may still run into that part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.