1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airport to The Orleans-- what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by raisingoo, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Upcoming trip planned to Vegas. Land at the airport on an early Saturday evening... first hotel during my trip will be The Orleans. Haven't stayed there before.

How would you get there? And for a taxi, what is the best route to ask?

My choices are:

A) Taxi. I am solo. I know the fare will probably be close to $20 with tip.

Which route to ask for? I was planning on "take Swenson to Tropicana, and Tropicana to The Orleans." Is this correct? I don't want to get long-hauled.

Is my twenty a good estimate with tip?

B) Shuttle bus. Many trips ago, I would use them, but I became disillusioned with them after having to wait so long for the shuttle bus to arrive, and then to fill up (with luggage packed in the rear), and then the numerous stops before my final destination...

Unless you can convince me that somehow there's a shuttle bus company that goes to The Orleans consistently quickly, I'll pass...

C) RTC (city) busses.

I was thinking about 119 North to Maryland Parkway, and then 201 West to Tropicana. This would be a grand total cost to me of $3 (2 hour pass). The thing is, waiting at the airport for bus #1 to arrive, and then boarding it, and then riding it to stop #1, and then getting off, and then waiting for bus #2 to arrive, and then boarding it, and waiting for stop #2 to come, and disembarking, and then crossing busy Tropicana on a Saturday night with luggage, all to save a few bucks, isn't my idea of a fun way to arrive in Las Vegas... As quoted in Lethal Weapon, "I'm too old for this s___!"

....so, O Hallowed Members of VMB, please guide me! Thanks!!

2. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

tough question. I really can't give a definitive answer.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll take option A hands down. You're correct in your assessment of B and though I know many do, I just can't imagine arriving for a big high-rollin' gamblin' adventure at the Orlean's via public bus... no thanks!

4. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #1 --- I'd probably take taxi. Orleans used to be my home base. Never had a cab problem to Orleans.
    Think it was about $20 + tip.

#2 --- In my experience, shuttles are slower than city buses in many cases, and much less reliable.

#3 --- To be honest, I just have an irrational fondness for the city buses. So....here is what I would
    do: a) Catch WAX at level zero. b). Get off the WAX at the NYNY stop ( corner of Trop & LV
    Blvd ) c) Catch the 201West to Orleans. Again, I warn you -- I just have fun riding the bus.
    201W runs every 20 min on Saurday. Visit www.rtcsnv.com for exact schedules.

Orleans! Fun! Envy you!

5. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the way that you wrote your post, I think you have your mind made up already.....to take the taxi. Nothing wrong with that.

However, you are so close to Orleans from the airport, I would simply buy a ticket and take the shuttle. I guess I am the only person here of the 16,000 or so of us.....who doesn't have to wait. After reading all the horror stories about long waits and multi stops I started timing my shuttles and most were under 10 minutes from handing him my luggage to pulling away from the airport. I think I had to wait 20 minutes one for a shuttle to arrive though. I believe the last time I took a shuttle downtown, it stopped first at Orleans , then on I15 and on to downtown. It just makes sense to me, luggage in the shuttle, luggage out at Orleans for 5 bucks or so.

I now take the WAX from the airport to downtown for $1.00. in 28 minutes! I was going to suggest that you take the WAX to NYNY and bus to Orleans but Robert beat me to it. If the times work it's feasible but if not, and it's hot out you will probably wish you were on the shuttle or in the taxi.

I would take the shuttle, but I think the taxi will work best for you.

Jimbo338

6. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't imagine arriving via public transportation for a "big high-rollin' gamblin' adventure" either. Hell, if I was a High Roller, they'd send a limo! But since I'm a low roller, that changes things considerably. The question was "what would you do," so I'll tell you exactly, since I've done it several times. I'd take the WAX to the NYNY stop and transfer to the 201.

To start, the other bus options are the 109N (not 119) or the 108 to Tropicana and then the 201. (The 108 would be the better choice, but not by much.) However, those stops are about as isolated as any in the system and I wouldn't relish waiting at either, especially with luggage after dark. Therefore, even if I had to wait an hour for the next WAX (probably with a $10 airport beer), that's what I'd do. Or you could save the $10, cab to NYNY, and take the 201 the rest of the way. (The 201 runs about every 20 min.)

NYNY Registration is right by the WAX/201 stop, so depending on schedule, you could even duck inside, play a little VP or whatever, get a "free" drink, and get back to the stop. (I've done that, while waiting on the northbound WAX after staying at the Orleans. Sometimes I've taken the 201 to the Tropicana stop, taken the escalator over to Excalibur and the bridge to NYNY, and other times I've cabbed from the Orleans to NYNY.)  

I've taken shuttles more than a few times also, but the Orleans is usually (probably always) the last stop. The last time I took a shuttle (because I just missed the WAX), it stopped at MGM, some timeshares, Excalibur, Luxor, and maybe someplace else before finally getting to the Orleans. Meanwhile, I was able to see the WAX arrive at NYNY, and the 201 arrive at the Orleans before we did. It can also be infuriating to sit and wait before even leaving the airport. So much for shuttles!

Yes, I've also taken cabs, with and without the tunnel. Depending on cab line and route, it still takes time, so you have to decide if the half hour (plus or minus) difference is worth $20 - $25 to you. Since I have the "old fart pass," $1.50 beats $20-plus every time!

Have fun deciding.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cab is about 18.50 depending on "waiting time" at the red lights and traffic. Got tunneled one time and have the taxi authority phone number in my phone after being posted on this site previously. I requested the tropicana route but was told there was a major tie-up at the strip so it would be faster to "tunnel". I said "fine, but I am going to dial the TA for suggested fare". He accepted a flat 15 $ instead.

I would think he would have taken my route directions with snarling traffic and had the meter go click click click and just shrugged his shoulders as the numbers mounted.

Sorry to almost hijack, but 20-21 $ with tip is about right.

8. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't doubt that it is, indeed, faster to take the tunnel to the Orleans. It's also a bit more expensive. The problem is that cabbies always say there's a major tie-up on Tropicana, so it's hard to know how to respond. (The WAX was delayed for nearly an hour a month ago due to a fatality on Tropicana and a total road closure. These things happen.)

And speaking of "public" transportation" - what do you think the airlines are! Okay, they're not really "public" per se, but face it; flying for past 20-plus years isn't much different in exclusivity and comfort than taking the bus! You wait forever to get on and off, taking luggage is often a bitch, and you pay through the nose. So why fret about taking the bus? If only they could fly!

9. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turtleman....

Love your analogy with flying!

Never thought about it, but my experiences on the WAX, SDX & CX have been SO much more pleasant than flying.

Good point!

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's an idea, take the taxi, act confused and when the driver long hauls you(tunnel), threaten to call the taxi authority and get the ride for free.:wink2:

Seriously though, sounds like the money matters to you( I know it does to me and I'm not ashamed to admit it), take the bus as others have mentioned, a 20 min wait at NY NY isn't that bad.

11. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It does depend on what you like.
    But if you have only seen Vegas buses like the Deuce and SDX, the WAX is very different. Uncrowded and with plenty of room for luggage. 201 seems to be uncrowded. It is a little tighter on luggage as it is often an older bus version.

The next time I go from Orleans to downtown (201 and then the WAX) I'm just riding to the airport and back to the NYNY stop. It will take a bit longer, but I don't like lugging my luggage on those escalators across the strip.

I do like the NYNY 201 stop. I like seeing Excalibur. If I am staying at the Orleans I often get stuck there late at night for a long wait coming back to the hotel. I think about taking a cab from NYNY port chochere, but I tend to just relax into those Excalibur lights.
    In daylight I usually find some interesting conversation there. Last time I got to try out my Spanish with three women who spoke no English. They were actually at the wrong stop because they thought "downtown" meant near Paris.
    But then I enjoy small bits that others would think very silly, and I'm there for twenty some days and in no hurry. And I'm old.

I had the same dislike of the shuttle as Turtleman. It took so long to get to the Orleans. Also, I like managing my own luggage. It is heavy because my sleep apnea machine and computer are packed in the one large suitcase once I arrive and claim the suitcase in Vegas. So it gets tossed and banged by the shuttle operators, and I always worry that it will get offloaded before I get to my stop and left there. (Irrational anxiety based on Costa Rican travel) Sometimes it is moved around at the other hotels and banged again.
    On the city bus I am in charge of it all the while and it does not get banged about.

The limo would be less than satisfying I expect as there is not very much to see on Tropicana and waving out the sunroof might feel a little silly. If I do the limo thing someday, I'll certainly have them turn onto LV Blvd and nudge down the strip to Flamingo and go over to Arville and back up to the Orleans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.