1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Alternative in some cities to cable blackout

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can see some programming online at CBS' website and also by using their free app.

3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're blocking access to their online site for Time Warner internet subscribers, unfortunately (even for people who don't have a cable subscription at all).

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    people still watch CBS?

:kill:

5. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pissed. In my neighborhood, nothing but Time-Warner is available and yes the computer is blocked also because we have Time-Warner internet. Yes, I call them daily. Why aren't the rest of you calling daily?

This fall shows I watch:
    Survivor
    Amazing Race
    CSI
    CSI New York
    NCIS
    NCIS Los Angeles
    Mike & Molly
    3 Broke Girls

Sema Show
  6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're almost two weeks into the same situation with TW and the local NBC station. As long as they don't screw with the Daily Show, Colbert Report & NFL games I don't care. OK, I like Law & Order SVU, but I don't miss it.

It will be interesting this Friday to see what happens. It is the first Packer pre-season game and it is scheduled to be on the NBC station. I already see bars in the area advertizing "to see the game here".

I don't really care about pre-season except for maybe the first quarter, but my wife is already getting pissed. I might have to see if I have an old pair of rabbit ears laying around to try.

7. RC

RC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Joe - Why don't people simply use the OTA hook up for CBS or NBC?

8. crappie_man

crappie_man Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto here on the pre-season. For us, it only takes a mediocre pair to get many channels...all in stunning HD that the cable company charges extra for. So if Comcast pulls the same stuff here in the Twin Cities, they will get yanked...permanently.

Way back in the day, before all the mergers, they pulled WGN out of Chicago in favor of WOR from New York. Their reasoning was that we got an extra hockey team out of the deal...What they failed to realize was that there are many up here with Cubbies connections. LESS than 30 days later, they were crying uncle from the loss of subscribers.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't have an antenna and we are in a fringe coverage area. I'll try hooking up my rabbit ears, but doubtful.

Off air HDTV is in the UHF frequency spectrum, rather then the old VHF and the coverage/signal is not nearly as good especially w/o a full blown antenna.

For Friday's game, I might just have to take my wife to a bar to watch the game. Damn:wink2: :beer:

10. RC

RC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you are in a really bad coverage area, then even a non HD antenna should give you a decent picture.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is a link to check the strength of digital TV signals in your area.
    http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Given the alternatives such as Aereo, Netflix, Hulu, and online streaming of programs, CBS and Time Warner should get this wrapped up soon or it will accelerate the trend to give up cable.

12. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Winegard Flatwave hdtv antenna from Costco is really good, and works with our two tv's. I think they're about $50.

My brother and I "cut the cord", but honestly I'd rather have 'the cord'.

We had DirecTV - I miss the MLB channel, CNBC, news channels in general, and the ability to flip through channels mindlessly, and the basic DVR was terrific. I think Netflix is a nice addendum, but it doesn't have everything. If I can find a non-contract/non-temp job, the first thing I'm doing is going back to DirecTV.

As prices rise, I think Americans are going to be choosing either a full-service cable/satellite television or a third meal.

13. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems pretty lame that they can actually block one of the major networks.

We don't even have cable anymore: I just download anything I or my wife wants to watch off the internet. They are free of commercials and usually posted just 5-10 minutes after they first aired. And for stuff from Europe I can usually see it 6-12 months before it would air on Canadian or US TV, if at all, and for live sports I can just stream that from my computer to my TV through the XBox.

14. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can get a very large number of shows here and usually only a day later than it aired

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/

putlocker and sockshare and 180upload are usually the ones that seem to work the fastest for me when you find the show and episode

you can also watch a ton of movies as well

and for almost any sports live

http://firstrowus.eu/

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.