1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Canada & a DUI

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't take notes on our Seattle trip so these random thoughts just keep popping up.

Outsider told me this one and I was a bit skeptical. But, it's true that if you had a DUI in the last 5-10 years, you can't enter Canada from the US in a car. There are some hoops to jump through for the 5 year limitation, but otherwise it is ten years.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:Dwi.Or.Dui.Driving.Convictions.html

Doesn't apply to me, but just found it interesting.

2. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's interesting Joe, we just had a conversation about this last night. I thought if we ever got a DUI in Canada that we'd never be allowed to cross the US border again but apparently while the US may let a Canadian enter their country with a DUI, it's unlikely an American entering Canada would be treated the same way. That's because the Canadian government treats a DUI conviction as a serious criminal offence.

Our drinking and driving laws have been getting tougher over the years, so much so that I wouldn't even think of getting behind the wheel with just one drink in me. (It's been about 3 years since we've gone to a pub for dinner and then driven home.) In British Columbia, if I were to get caught driving with a level of just .05 (which could be one drink for my 125 pounds), I would:

- immediately have my driver's license taken away for 3 days;
    - have my car impounded for 3 days;
    - pay a $200 fine;
    - pay $250 to have my license reinstated;
    - pay towing and storage fees of $500 and up

That's for a 1st offence and it's immediate - no going to court to argue for leniency. Add to all of the above that I may also risk losing the privilege of entering the U.S. and it's just not worth it.

If it were to happen a 3rd time, I'd have to pay to install a breathalyzer in my car.

When they started bringing in these tougher laws there was a lot of backlash from citizens and the hospitality industry. Now it just seems kind of standard.

It's one of the reasons my husband and I enjoy going to Vegas. We can actually be out in public and impaired and not worry about having to drive.

BTW - I'm not suggesting that we don't have impaired drivers, we still have plenty of those. Many of us just take more care in how much we drink while out and we use taxis more often than we did before.

I just can't imagine life without visiting the USA! There are just so many places I'd miss.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DUI Laws differ by states

I dont know if it matters but ,here in NJ ,DUI is a motor vehicle offense but just about every where else its a felony that will show up on a background check as such .

4. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, That is true. Been there, Done that. I was unaware of this and my wife wanted to take me to Canada for my birthday about 9 years ago or so. After stopping at the Duty-free store we proceed to the customs. We were then instructed to pull into immigrations area nad told to proceed inside. Inside, they informed me of this law and told me I cannot re-enter Canada until 15 years had passed since my DUI. They gave me papers to apply for a Temporary Residence Application, for future travels, but they said it takes time to process and requires an application fee and it still might not get approved for entry into Canada. They directed me back to USA and had to pull up to customs again and had to explain that entry was denied - the customs officer asked about the items purchased at the duty-free and was contemplatating to making us pay the duties on them since we were not techinally in Canada. Needless to say, tough lesson learned.

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy cow that ain't nothing! Here its a min $300 fine, spend the night in jail, and suspended license for 6 months.

6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. Hardly sounds like they take it seriously.

here in san diego its $300 or so for riding the trolley without a ticket.

used to be almost $400 for getting a ticket from a red light camera.

Its $50 for jaywalking.

7. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wakeup call from dfalk and cousineddie, I realized I forgot to add something.

Those were the rules for .05 (one drink) to .08. After that it gets tougher like your laws.

But depending how the laws in your state or province are, it might depend on how you're treated at the border (I'm no lawyer, I'm just sharing ideas here). If you've been convicted of a criminal offence and declare it at the border, you'll likely get stopped.

If as jerseyguy says, it's a Motor Vehicle Act infraction in NJ, and I believe DUI is considered a misdemeanor in Hawaii, then it may make a difference when you cross the border.

Just curious, did they ask you if you had a criminal record or did you sense they knew about it and asked you to pull over?

8. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe you can bypass the 10 year wait by expunging the DUI.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quite frankly, if Canada doesn't want you, dont go there, I've been to canada, it's just like the US, dont get mad, get even, dont buy anything canadian and dont try to go there again. I live in Mn and we hear stuff like this all the time, 4 guys are heading into canada for a fishing trip and one cant get in, they all turn around and the resort owners are screwed. F em.

10. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is really really true, but a lot of people do not know it. We run up against it every day. A lot of people lie (or dont answer the question correctly) when they buy tickets on the Clipper, only to get to Canada, and not be able to get off the boat. I didnt think there was a time limit, I thought it was if you had EVER gotten a DUI. I do know that some people slip through and are able to make it, but many others do not. This is something people really need to pay attention to before booking an expensive cruise.

11. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's pretty much just a money grab.

A guy I work with had this happen a few years back when he planned a trip up there. He just needed to file some form with them, and a modest filing fee of "aboot $400", and he was given temporary passage into their fine country.

12. Steve3ZX

Steve3ZX Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A story we can laugh about at work now - a jr account manager was excited to get his first client - a co. located in Vancouver. At least he found out about the rule before booking flight, hotel, etc. He took it as an omen and has since switched over to our direct sales dept.

13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It goes the other way too Joe. There's a lot of nice, working, regular looking people in Canada who can't cross the border into the US due to an old conviction for something minor. They have a passport and can fly to other countries, but they can't go to the US. The process for them to be allowed back is long and expensive.

I used to work with a lady who was a travel agent for over 20 years and changed jobs. She couldn't count how many times she booked trips for couples and families to the US and one or more of their party couldn't cross the border. Naturally, they blamed her. So she started quietly asking people before taking a deposit or doing the booking. I guess a lot of them lied, some of them got really angry that she asked. I imagine quite a few of them hadn't told their family, friends or spouse about the conviction or that they hadn't put up the money to get it cleared.

Same goes for people who didn't understand they needed a valid passport and basic ID and they needed a letter from the ex that it was OK to take the children on this trip. I guess she got sick of it and changed professions.

I was dropping my friend's kid to the airport, making sure she got checked in OK and it happened to be the start of spring break. I watched an older lady pass out when she realized her passport had expired some time ago. Her entire family was with her and they were on their way somewhere in the US. She went down like a sack of potatoes. But, hey, I saw how fast the staff at the airport were on her and heard sirens pretty quick. That's reassuring because it's a smaller airport. I guess that's where the saying "die of shame" comes from.

I shop in Michigan quite a bit and at least a few times a year I have to go into the border office to pay tax. I'm in line, bored and I have really good hearing. There's always somebody who is being denied entry in that office.

Anyhow, I wandered a bit on that reply. But, my point is, it happens a lot, it's not something that people really talk about and it does go both ways.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    World traveler is not on my resume and I have never even been to Canada, just posted it in case there are others like me who had no clue about this policy.

Just to reiterate, I have not had a DUI, (knock on wood) in case someone gets the wrong impression about my original post.

We're already thinking about going back to Seattle next year with a trip scheduled around Seafair and then possibly going to Vancouver for a night or two.

15. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I don't know about that:

1. they talk funny up there.....in Montreal and Quebec they talk so funny you can't even understand them it is like they are speaking another language or something

2. it is much less crowded

3. much less trashy than most places in the USA

4. a hell of a lot colder most of the year

5. they are much more easy going up there from the ordinary citizens to the police to everyone

6. they eat a lot of the same things as people in the USA, but they eat a lot differently as well.....more root crops and cole crops and grains

7. more national pride especially lately.....it is not looked down upon up there as it is by some types here

8. less crime in general even in the major metro areas

9. more outdoor opportunity that is not overrun with inhumanity

10. if you wanted to get back at them box up the bieber and ship him back with no return address.....that should be punishment enough

16. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES YES YES!!!! :thumbsup:

11. They love to riot after Stanley cups.

12. They eat mayonnaise with fries.

17. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #11. we do that here

#12. I like mayo, but that is just weird

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two of my brothers were stationed in France back in the 60s and they both acquired the taste for mayo & fries. They still enjoy it today.

19. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    an old college roommate went over there and he picked up the habit of cutting the top off the ketchup packet and dipping the fries in it instead of squirting it all out onto something

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love Canada, love Canadians. Try to get up there once a year but it doesn't always happen.

If you want to deal with over-the-border idiocy try being a Ukrainian trying to get in here LEGALLY, even with sponsors, money and a job waiting. Wowza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.