1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Travelling from abroad - is layover enough ??

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Vegasfan86, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegasfan86

Vegasfan86 Guest

Hi,
    I just started my preparations of my next trip to Vegas.
    This time it´s the first time with a 1-stop flight. Currently I have to connections in mind
    From Europe to Charlotte via US Airways with a layover of around 1.5 hours and another one via Delta to Atlanta with a layover of around 1.5 hours.

Usually I always had a nonstop flight to Vegas, so I want to make sure if 1.5 hours will be fine for immigration, customs and the way to the new gate.

Hope anyone can help here

Thank you in advance

2. egelston2

egelston2 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might be tough with Atlanta. It is the busiest airport in the States. Place even if you get through Custom in time, the terminals are spread out and may need to hustle to get to your flight.

3. Jenx72

Jenx72 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't agree with egelston more! My personal opinion is that no that is not near enough time. Every time I have flown,I have to go to Atlanta airport to change planes, I always make sure I have at least a 2 hour layover.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the airline booked it, chances are you will be fine. If not, they have to get you a new seat on another flight. They are pretty good at figuring this stuff out.

OOPS

Just read through things again. You are coming in via US Air to Charlotte, but then connecting to Atlanta/Vegas via Delta.

Sorry, anything can happen with that, and neither one will feel they are responsible.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget, you won't have to go through customs in Atlanta because you will already have gone through customs and security in Charlotte which is nowhere near as busy as Atlanta. 1.5 hours would definitely be enough time for me, but I walk fast. I'm not sure if you'll have to leave the secured area in Atlanta to collect your bag and then recheck it if you're flying with a different airline besides Delta to go from Atlanta to Vegas - that would be a determining factor for me. The biggest kink in your plans would be that if either of your flights are delayed, you're screwed. Especially since neither airline would be obligated for paying the fees/fare difference you would have to pay to change the ticket for the flight you missed.

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd try to find something with at least a 3 hr connection. If not, I'd take a connection at CLT over ATL since it's less busier.

7. Vegasfan86

Vegasfan86 Guest

Thanks to you all for the help :)

I believe there was a misunderstanding regarding the connections
    it´s not only one connection like Europe - Atlanta - Charlotte - Vegas.

It´s two possible connections

the first one is Europe - Atlanta - Vegas
    the second one is Europe - Charlotte - Vegas

Which one do you think is better ??

Hope you can let me know again
    Thanks

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, so you are not booked yet and have an option of either CLT or ATL for your connection.

Back to my original statement - if the airline will book it, then I say go for it.

Atlanta is bigger and busier, but can handle way more people anyways. Bad news is some flights in ATL now go through the new terminal, and then you have to transit to the regular domestic terminals. Eats up some time there.

Charlotte is smaller, but has way less INTL flights. US Air is the hometown and primary carrier there and does manage things pretty good.

Double check what the "back-up" flight would be if you miss the connection in both cities. US Air has very few Vegas flights. Delta has plenty.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no, he's looking at 2 separate flights, trying to pick the best one.

I would go with ATL and I think 1.5 hours is enough. ATL has a very nice system for customs. if you have a connecting flight, you go to a separate line that goes straight through customs and then you can catch a tram to your next gate. if you don't have a connecting flight, you go to baggage claim and they have customs right there. I thought it was very well designed. it is the busiest airport in the world, but that means they have things down to a science because they have to. going into a smaller airport just because it's less busy is counterintuitive. I've had worse experiences at small airports that were totally empty than ATL when it's packed just because they have everything so well designed.

not to mention the fact that there's like 6 nonstop flights a day to Vegas, so worst case you catch the next one.

10. FlyoverFi

FlyoverFi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done LHR --> ATL --> MSP with a 95 minute layover between flights. It was tight-ish, but do-able. Customs in Atlanta can be long - we were in line for 45 minutes (US citizen line), and then we had to go downstairs and grab a tram to the correct terminal. We had time to go to the bathroom once we got to our gate, and then they were calling our flight. Even the slightest delay could throw you off.

11. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did Bristol (UK) to Amsterdam,
    then picked up US Airways from Amsterdam to Philly, 2 hr layover and onto connecting to Vegas.... Took around 30 mins from deplaning to get to Chick-a-fila!! :D :D

Show me the money Jerry, show me the money!!!
  12. StormHawk

StormHawk Yuma, where I work in software.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This would definitely be one of my top priorities upon entering the US! :beer:

13. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some layovers given by airlines are a little tight, I have used US Airways twice on trips to Vegas. First time was given about 1H 45 to connect, flight was late from the UK but they did hold the connecting flight at Philly.
    Second time connection time was the same but flight on time so did it easy, one place I would never use again is Chicago, had a nightmare through there last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.