1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First stay downtown, July 3 - 5 w/ pics

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by FXT, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Dont have time or patience to write a full TR. If I ever do, Ill update it. I always hated writing essays in english class :Þ

This Vegas trip came on the tail end of a trip out to Ohio to visit the gfs entire family for the first time.

-Flew to Vegas on the 3rd after a week long diet consisting of red meat and beer

-Took bus 109 (Maryland Parkway) from the airport to downtown. Took the Wax on the way back.

-Played a ton of VP at El Cortez, D and Golden Nugget. Didnt do as well as the pictures suggest. First time playing VP as well so Im sure I was making mistakes. Found out how addicting Ultimate X machines are.

-Went to the Mob Museum and took a few pictures. I highly recommend this tour to anyone. It was nice to find out more about some of the characters on Boardwalk Empire and all the mob movies I've watched

-Few hit and runs at roulette tables, broke even

-Multiple sessions at craps table which were extremely profitable

-Very costly lesson on the $5, 5 line WOF machine

-GF played poker mostly at GN and a session at El Cortez which she liked more due to the older, easy going people who complimented her a lot :thumbsup:

-Drank a ton :drunk: (Did I even need to mention this?)

-Ate quite a few Coney Island gyros which were good, one trip to Golden Nugget buffet which sucked and one amazing meal at Flames Steakhouse.

-Tried to get the shave at El Cortez, cigars at Vatos and shoot pool/bowl at the tranny bar but alcohol/schedule/gambling prevented it.

-Bonus picture of my first time shooting a gun which was at the AIMHI shooting range in Ohio.

Im sure I missed a lot on this cliff version of the TR. Overall the trip was great and we broke even. We are definitely downtown people but we wont be staying at the D again unless its a comp. Debating Golden Nugget or MSS for our next trip which is likely going to be before Christmas on the way to visit her family again.

Attached Files:

2. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess 10 is the limit of uploads per post. So heres more.

Yes we wore red, white and blue for the 4th and matched lol..

Attached Files:

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "First time playing VP????" Wha???? From the looks of these pics, you should write the book!!!!! Good for You!!!!!

4. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I did two small sessions of JoB on wizard of odds before I left. I still dont understand the strategy differences between BP and DBP etc.

5. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    loved tthe TR, especially the pics. thanks for sharing

6. walylama

walylama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you had fun. Some of my favorite things in life are 49ers, and VP at the elco. You must be a hell of a guy.

7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Better short and sweet than no TR at all! Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed the photos.

8. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What was the costly lesson on the $5 WoF?

9. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you enjoyed it. I forgot to take a ton more on the Ultimate X machine including one where I was dealt 4 queens on the starting hand with a few lines at 4x-12x bonus. Unfortunately I was playing at .10c and the luck didnt carry over when I switched to .25c and I ended up giving the money back after sitting on it several hours.

Thats what I was thinking. Tbh after reading all these other TRs with perfect sentence structure, punctuation and grammar, I was a little intimidated and decided to take the easy way out :eek:

You must be the other person that lives in San Jose and likes the Niners.:thumbsup: That makes two of us.:evillaugh Everyone around me is Raider Nation this, Raider Nation that.

Dont dump all your profit into it trying to chase the spin. I swear I had the worst luck ever on that machine.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  10. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same question here. I thought the response was to do max bet.

11. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had it at max bet but I dumped 1k into the machine trying to chase a single spin which never happened. Total tunnel vision move fueled by alcohol and stupidity lol.

12. Oxygenator

Oxygenator Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice report.

waz the 5 line, $5 Wof at the plaza?

13. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was at the D. They're located on the wall across from the check in/players club.

14. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really liked the mob museum also, I could easily spend an afternoon there. How come you won't stay at the D again unless its comped? I have an offer for a couple of free nights I was thinking of using in August. Haven't the rooms been remodeled???

15. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The gaming was fine at the D and the entire vibe was to my liking but thats pretty much where the positive review ends.

We had reserved a single king room and ended up walking into the room with 2 queens. Several calls to the front desk went unanswered and the line at that point might have been 30mins long so we said screw it.

The bathroom had very low shower pressure, the directions to operate the shower were all wrong, an incredibly slow draining sink and no fan so those beer+meat bathroom trips lingered for a long long time.

Checkout day we attempted to call the front desk for a late checkout multiple times with no response. After that we waited for the elevator with another family of 5 for 30mins. During those 30mins two elevators stopped that were going up which were packed like a can of sardines. The first one that stopped going down had room for half a person so I decided to stuff my gf in it with her luggage. I decided to lug my own luggage down 18 floors of stairs and when I was reaching the bottom, the family of 5 seemed to have started their journey down too.

The D is definitely a lot of fun to play at but staying there is a whole another story. Thats why we're not considering it for our December trip.

16. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tks for the response, I'll think twice about staying there.....

17. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first 3 progressive pics were rough to look at. Those are piss poor paytables for Downtown. All the rest of the single hand pics were 99%+, so at least you eventually found some good games.

To learn strategies better, you can use this from his site.

http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/calculator/

Thanks for sharing!!

18. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thanks, I was using that site to practice but didnt realize you could pick different VP games. I think those horrible paytables were at the GN VP bar and D long bar at .25 JoB. The DB .50 was better but I was playing it all wrong. The last few pics were from ElCo. Next time its MSS for me.

19. D in the D

D in the D Oldest ride, Longest Line

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice succinct report. Great pics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.