1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cranky Old Women....

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Blonde_4_ever, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]
    I have often heard it said that old women are cranky, cantankerous and selfish.

As I approach this designation I realize this is an unfair over generalization.

When we are born, we are these sweet, malleable creatures.
    [​IMG]

We are taught that we are born to please. In order to be considered "good" we must be "people pleasers". It starts with our parents, then moves on to our teachers, our boyfriends, our husbands, our children, our employers.
    Essentially it never ends.
    Unless YOU make it end!

I am not advocating abdicating your current life, but there comes a point in almost every woman's life when she goes. "When is it MY TURN? When do I get to please myself?"

Believe me, unless you get firm and emphatic about what you want...it will NEVER happen.
    You need stop, take a breath, and reevaluate your life.
    What do you want the final chapters of your life to consist of?

One of the most valuable pieces of advice I ever received was this;

The thing you should be doing in life,
    is the thing you would do even if no one paid you to do it!

There are no truer words. What is your passion? What excites you?
    You need to figure that out and work it into your life...NOW.

I have come to realize that there were many. many things that I was doing not because I wanted to do them, but because "somebody else" wanted me to do them. My feelings about the matter were never taken into consideration.

As you make changes in your life I guarantee there will be people who will talk about you badly.

[​IMG]
    They will say that you have "changed", that you are "selfish."

But maybe we need to take another look at that word. Maybe being selfish is exactly what we need. We need to take care of ourselves at this point in time. If you don't take care of yourself, nobody else will!

Like everyone else, I am a "work in progress".

I have studied myself and found the things I enjoy.

I enjoy my family.
    I enjoy communicating with people.
    I enjoy my club.
    I enjoy my job.
    I enjoy writing.
    I enjoy travel.
    I enjoy Vegas.
    I enjoy my website.

I am going to do my best to keep all the balls in the air for as long as I can and not allow anyone to take away one of the things I love because they don't see the value of it.
    I am not going down without a fight!
    [​IMG]

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sing it, sister! :wink2:

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like they say "Life's a journey"

It can be a balancing act sometimes ,I agree ,doing for yourself or pleasing others . If youre lucky like me you'll meet some good people who readily give to others and also some takers .
    Today I lost one of my dearest friends,a guy I considered a brother. 68 years young ,but leukemia has no mercy when it hits older people.So,I'm sitting here just remembering all the good times and all the rough times we helped each other thru.My wife always tells me how cranky I am and its a wonder I have any friends. Well, today I have one less.

4. Blonde_4_ever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry about your friend....

5. lnz

lnz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw something today that resonated.....
    "When I get old, I don't want people thinking 'what a sweet old lady', I want them saying... 'oh crap! What's she up to now?'"

It's been a while
  6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks ,appreciate it.

Hope you have a good holiday ,heading to Monmouth Park today,feed the horses as the old saying goes.

7. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm cranky!

Crankiness for women is either Hormones or all that other Female related stuff.
    For us older guys it's low Testosterone or maybe those Cranky Old Women haha!

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love it when she pours the glass of the blue water. I have a strange sense of humor though. :wink2:

10. Blonde_4_ever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well..it is humourous...but it has absolutely nothing to do with my original post...since what I was talking about are women who no longer HAVE periods.

11. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm "only" 43 years old but figured this out to a small degree about 3 years ago, and even more so 18 months ago. I'm a Mom of 3 from 9 to 19 and a full time teacher of middle schoolers so life is super busy. 18 months ago I got tired of being tired all the time and decided it was time to start taking care of myself even if it took me away from my other responsibilities. I figured if I didn't, I soon wouldn't be able to take care of others. By that point I had already started doing something "selfish" for the first time in my life with my annual Vegas trips that I had started 2 years earlier so it wasn't a huge stretch to start taking care of myself.

For reference, I have been very overweight for pretty much all of my adult life. Despite "dieting" off and on most of my life I wasn't really getting anywhere and it was draining on me. So I decided to NOT diet and just work on making exercise a real part of my life. For 7 months I worked on that only and then once I realized I actually loved it, I added a moderate healthy eating plan that I could easily make part of my life forever. Since then I've lost over 90 lbs and while the time and energy putting into this past 18 months has been extensive, I have no regrets over this "ME time" and I won't allow anything or anyone to take that away from me. And that goes the same for my annual Vegas trip. It is the one time of year I am not responsible for another human being and I need that to be able to give for the rest of the year. Next month's trip will be exciting for me...the first time as an adult on an airplane when I won't have to ask for a seat belt extender. Woot!

All women need to find something that is just their's and their's alone.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, ok, I thought it was humorous and sometimes my sense of humor gets lost by some. Reading back through the original post, you are correct.:peace: Still funny though!

13. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This goes along the lines of my thinking about so called "friends" and "family".

How many people's lives are destroyed by peer pressure and what others think of what you do?

More than people realize or willing to admit to even themselves.

14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the reason I am looking for a new job. :thumbsup:

15. Blonde_4_ever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck to you LV Bound
    Awesome.... Dancemom! !!!

16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Way to go Dancemom!!!!

17. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have often heard it said that old women are cranky, cantankerous and selfish.
    I have never heard this. I have only heard, "What a sweet, old lady."

I am not advocating abdicating your current life, but there comes a point in almost every woman's life when she goes. "When is it MY TURN? When do I get to please myself?"
    Males feel like this at an early age.

They will say that you have "changed", that you are "selfish."
    Ex-girlfriends have been saying this about their men for yeeeeears.

But maybe we need to take another look at that word. Maybe being selfish is exactly what we need. We need to take care of ourselves at this point in time. If you don't take care of yourself, nobody else will!
    Men have been taking care of themselves for yeeeeears.

I can appreciate the stages in life a woman goes through, and how different it is for men. IN GENERAL, Girls want to feel pretty, especially with the standards the media and entertainment industries put out there. Young women want to go to college to develop their sense of independence, equality, and control of their futures. Then the nuturing/nesting nature becomes stronger and the desire for a husband and children overtake the career drive. In my opinion, I find it unfortunate when the career comes creeping back so soon the toddler goes to day care instead of spending days with mommy. I find it fortunate for the children when the parenting instinct lasts longer than an election cycle.

As the children grow older and the kids are more able to take care of themselves, the dreams she had in college can not only be fulfilled, but be a fantastic example to the children of the strength of women, the value of education, and how to manage different activities of family life. The empty nest can be such an explosion of freedom. No kids are dependent on her (she gets to lose the minivan), her income is higher (and doesn't have to spend it on the kids), and grandparenting is simply the best parts of being a parent (all the fun parts). Now life is all about her, and it's good to be queen.

Men are simple. It has always been about income and power. Keep us fed and laid and we are happy. We only have one stage in life. Life has always been about us. Women criticize us for being selfish when we are young, but celebrate selfishness when they discover its glory that we have always known. And it's good to be king.

Congratulations on finding the freedom and joy that life has to offer!

18. Blonde_4_ever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gotta give you that...men have known the joys of selfishness all along!
    Lol!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.