1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

being able to chill the room down..

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by borel, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borel

borel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My most recent stay at the Mirage (May) we could not get the room cool enough for it to be comfortable. As a result it was really tough to sleep. Just wanted everyones opinion on where they had problems as well as places where there were no problems getting the AC working comfortably- thanks!!

2. Mr. O

Mr. O Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You went to Vegas and slept? :confused2:

Never had an issue like that at the Mirage or elsewhere. I'd have just complained to the desk and had them address it and maybe gotten a better room.

3. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like I've noticed that.. hmm the little air things are hard to work sometimes. I'd just call and ask.. Also it's 117 degrees, sometimes it can only get so cold.

4. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We didn't have a problem at the Mirage but we did stay at Harrahs one summer and our room faced the afternoon sun. There is some motion detector thingy there and the air doesn't work unless you are in the room moving. Well we weren't until night time and then it would never get cool enough. I didn't sleep that trip at all.

Sema Show
  5. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best air conditioning I have had is at the Plaza, believe it or not. I have never had an issue there, and usually I can get it down so cold that you almost have to wear a coat.

6. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a thread about this a couple of years ago in another forum.
    The units use motion sensors, and when there is no motion in the room, like while you're sleeping, it affects the temp.
    Here's what you can do when you're retiring for the night.
    Place a wrapper from a straw in the air vents so that the paper is flowing out into the room while still connected to the vent. Any motion from the vent will keep the circulation going even if you sleep 8 or 9 hours. Be sure to take off the wrapper before housekeeping comes the next day, they might throw it away. Then do the same thing the next night, and the next...........

7. jugdish76

jugdish76 Low-Roller

Luxor ... if you're in the pyramid, is the worst in Vegas ... the 45 degree window lets in so much more sun and hear. Never got below 85 in summer. I'm sure other seasons are fine.

8. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    God, that would kill me! First thing I usually do in Feb is shut the heat off if possible!

Only problem I have had was staying in the Island Tower at the Tropicana. The AC was controlled on the floor and inside the rooms there was only a switch to press for hi or low blower. We had it on high and had to close the drapes to keep the room comfortable during the day. This was perhaps 10 years ago though.

Jimbo338

9. Kickin

Kickin Flea

This was a big concern of mine because I like a cold room and we were staying at MGM last week during near record temperatures, and I know in the past I've had a hard time getting the same exec suite at MGM as cold as I wanted. This time was great though, here are a couple tips:

- get a north facing window, ideally north or northwest. south/southeast facing windows will get the hottest sunlight. We were lucky to not only get north facing but we were at corner of two wings of the building so essentially shaded. This is hugely important.

- keep the drapes/blackout curtains closed during the day whether you're in the room or not and the A/C on full blast. Leave a tip and a note for housekeeping not to touch the controls. MGM fortunately upgraded its blackout curtains since my last stay and now has very efficient ones. This is hugely important too.

- when you get to the room look up the model of the thermostat online for ways to bypass its controls/limits. you may get lucky as some are available online, I couldn't find anything for MGM's though. Even if they don't have motion sensors, a lot of units will set a floor of 65 degrees. It will never get there but the air coming out will be colder if you could bypass the 65 degree limit and go to 60 (which is usually the real lower limit).

- also every hotel will give you regular blankets if you ask that are much lighter than the usual comforters providers.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seldom had any heat/ac issues in Las Vegas and never any issues getting a room cool enough, even in the worst of the summer heat. I was at TI a few years back during that 110+ heat wave on the weekend when the Frontier closed and it was quite comfortable.

Decades ago I do remember control issues at the old Landmark tower and the old Stardust "dorm" rooms. Seems like the AC options were either off (stuffy) or on (deep freeze).

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had lots of issues at Aria - can not get it much below about 70. Does not help that the drapes there are not totally blackout.

The jr suites or whatever it is they call them at Harrahs are the worse. We eventually said to just give us a regular room.

We are heading to MGM in mid-July. Getting a little concerned with the current heat wave about our room. Suggestions on at least getting a room that does NOT get the afternoon sun?

12. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve had issues with Aria as well, especially the Corner Suites. The fact that the suite is basically all windows is pretty cool when the temps aren’t in the triple digits. But once the mercury goes up past the century mark, it’s nigh on impossible to get that place cool (I think the fact that it’s a “green” building probably contributes as well). I was there when it was 105-110 once and could not get the room below 75-76 during the day or 70-72 at night.

I also had issues with a GO room at Flamingo years ago. It’s possible that they could have remedied the situation by now, but given CET’s “frugality”, I doubt they have.

Honestly though, when it is 105+, I don’t think I’ve been to a single place that I’ve been able to get quite as cool as I’d like it. (Though, to be fair, I like it really cold, I keep my home thermostat at around 65.)

13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some ac units in vegas are pre set to only go so low or to be motion activated.

There are code combinations that you can use on them to over ride this setting. You can find these on youtube.

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yet another reason I love the Hard Rock's HRH Tower... 700 sq. ft rooms with 2, count 'em 2 HVAC units, 1 for the sitting-area and 1 for the sleeping-area! Plus the louvres are about 6 feet up and can be tilted to direct the air-flow up or down. I was there at the end of last week at the start of the current heatwave, it was 115 out side and a comfy 68 for me!

15. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any experiences at Planet Hollywood, in the summer? I also like a cool room and would sacrifice a view to help make that happen...

16. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always find the room like a meat locker when I arrive and I have to turn it up just to keep from freezing.

17. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Both the "faux" suites I was in last week also had 2 units. MGM had one in the sitting area and one in the bedroom area, PH had one in the bedroom area and awkwardly one in the bathroom. But the bathroom had no doors and was open to the rest of the room. I like how you could tilt the airflow in your system though. A lot of it just depends on other things like how well insulated the windows are and how cold the units get.

We were there last week and I asked for a north facing window, the best she could give me was a strip facing window that overlooked the pool. There was a lot of heat coming from the windows, you could feel it just standing near them. Keep the curtains closed at daytime. The units seemed to work well though and we were able to keep the room cool. Their units go down to 60 degrees....again that doesn't mean the temp will ever get there but it allows colder air flow than you get from systems that limit it to 65 degrees.

18. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like their rooms as it was one of the first room I have been in with a digital thermostat. Instead of getting the room too hot or too cold with the digital I was able to get it jusssssssssst right.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last trip I spent a couple days at Monte Carlo and had a room that got tons of afternoon sun. It was difficult to keep the room cool unless I kept the drapes closed when the sun was hitting the window.

20. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a bad time at the Mirage also- Had a suite thanks to myVegas and didn't realize there was different climate controls for the entrance/ sitting area and bedroom. Anyways, had the entrance on full blast, couldn't make it any cooler than 71 or 72 in May (somewhere in the 90s outside). It began to catch up at night, and sometime in the middle of the night this big "crack" wakes me up, and I can smell something on fire! So I get up, look around, and realize that the bedroom heat was on thanks to the work of the outside room, and all the accumulated dust was burning off the heater.:grrr:

I found the wraparound suites in the Cosmo wouldn't stay cool enough, although it might have been because the controls on the phone weren't as adjustable as the controls on the thermostat.

Had a real nice time at the El Cortez, A/C was blasting full throttle when we got into the room, and my companion needed extra blankets at night. Awesome!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.