1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Couples wanting you to give up your seats on SW flights

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by 1BETSY1, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1BETSY1

1BETSY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm only posting this because I've seen it twice in two resent flights.
    I pay the extra 12.50 for early boarding and grab a isle or window seat, like everyone else that does EB, I can't stand setting in the middle seat.
    Weve had couples try and get us to move to the middle seat behind us and on a another flight to the middle seat in front of us. I declined and told them that's why we pay the extra for early boarding. Our decline was met with a scour.
    If it was kids or a older couple I would of probably moved.
    Do people not understand EB?

2. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They understand cheap and guilt trips... :evillaugh

USBC Nationals
  3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's crazy to try to get someone to give up an aisle seat for a middle in between 2 strangers. I would never ask such a thing. i don't do SWA, so it's not that often, but on the few occasions I haven't been able to get a seat with my wife for whatever reason, I will only try to get someone to do a trade if it's at least the same seat (window to window or aisle to aisle) or an upgrade (middle to aisle or window). I don't even request people do aisle to window or window to aisle trades because different people prefer one or the other.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In somewhat of the same vein. How do people end up with C boarding passes?

No internet or they don't understand the SW system or what?:confused2: I'm always puzzled by this.

Ever since I forgot to log on one time and get my tickets 24 hrs ahead of time, I always buy EB for the return flight, especially back from Vegas:drunk: But pretty much an automatic from everywhere on the return flight now. $25 won't kill us.

5. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask someone to change. It is worth a try. However, if you decline it should not be met with scorn or any hard feelings.

I usually fly first class and book waaaaay in advance. One of the perks is picking your seat. More than once I've been asked to change with someone who got a last minute upgrade. Are you kidding? You get a free upgrade and you and your friend want me to give up the seat I payed a premium for so you can sit together? No way. I chose this seat because I don't want to sit in the first or last row and don't want a window. It's not an overseas flight, be happy about your upgrade and take a nap and talk to your friend when you arrive.

There are many people in society who feel they are entitled to whatever they want just because they want it. Don't feel guilty at all.

6. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you ever heard anyone offer to trade their aisle seat so that they might sit in the middle seat next to their companion? Never.

I almost never trade, but...

Once, ages ago, I was in business class on a flight to London. There was a family with multiple kids sitting around me and I was kind of gritting my teeth hoping the kids would be good. Just before takeoff, a flight attendant approached and asked me if I would mind trading seats with the grandmother in First who was worried about all of her offspring back in Biz. Done--the airline equivalent of hitting a royal flush.

7. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This exact thing was asked of me on my return flight from Vegas last month.

I said NO.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HECK NO! Especially not if I paid extra for EB. Half the time there are still tons of open seats together and they won't go to the back of the plane to get to them.

9. OnTheHorizon

OnTheHorizon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are right not to give up your seats - ESPECIALLY if you paid extra for them. I had the same situation on a (at the time) Continental flight - I declined and the guy got mad because he wanted to sit by his wife - of course I would have gotten the middle seat. NO WAY! I've done the middle seat before and it sucks!

10. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before I flew SWA, I always booked early and got an aisle seat. One time there were two people together both with aisle seats but not opposite each other. It was difficult for them to communicate. I was opposite one of them and when I realized that they were travel companions I offered to switch seats with one of them. The difference here was that they were both AISLE seats, and I offered to do it.

I would not be too inclined to give up a seat esp after paying EB though asking someone to do it isn't much worse than having an A boarding pass and running in to save seats for all your last minute buddies who have C boarding passes.

Jimbo338

11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. Happened to me as well after I used an upgrade certificate to secure one of my favorite seats. The couple then complained to the FA that I was probably a complimentary upgrade :rolleyes2:

12. Kuch1000

Kuch1000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with switching to the same seat (aisle for aisle) and have done that before.

We were on our honeymoon flight to Aruba sitting middle/window together. Another couple was sitting in the aisle seat next to me and the aisle seat across. They asked us to switch and the woman was somewhat offended when we didn't. Seriously?!

P.S. As a Southwest stockholder, many thanks to all of you paying the EB :beer: ! I love rolling the dice when I fly them - all the way back to the days of the colored boarding passes and people lining up 2 hours before a flight to be first.

13. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are going to be with each other for the next 96 hours straight...you'd think they'd want to sit separate on a flight....lol.

14. Kc4400

Kc4400 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, if I pay for the EB, I am going to keep the seat I picked. I would hate to be delayed a bit and be stuck in the middle even longer.

15. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    unbelievable that someone would expect another couple to split seats across the aisle so they could not split seats....even in the USA that is just a new low in feelings of self importance and entitlement

and I probably would not pay extra to get seat choice on a flight under a few hours, but if I did I would surely not be moving and I also find it odd how on a plane full of several hundred people that all managed to get the seat they wanted and or live with the seats the have there can always be a couple of idiots that seem to think that a single individual is the cause of them not getting something they want.......how about everyone on the plane stand up and we can all do a giant reshuffle of the seating so these two buffoons can get what they want....society needs to start carrying mirrors so everyone can pull them out to show people that are not getting what they want who is 99.9999% of the time responsible for them not getting what they want

16. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually had a situation on a recent flight where a couple that did not have seats together and the wife decided to just commandeer the seat next to her husband. A window, which I paid 59 extra bucks for! She refused to move, this is a full flight, now being delayed to vegas. Everyone in a seat but me. Everyone looking at me. Pilots coming out to see what's going on. People all getting pissed. Yelling. She absolutely refused to move, as did he. It was absurd. To the applause of the entire plane I just threw my hands up and went to a middle seat in the last row of the plane where her ticket was. How people think shit like that is ok is beyond me. Three people did buy me drinks but defiantly not worth a middle in the last row. Disaster.

17. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm so curious about this! You were holding a boarding pass with a confirmed seat number -- that you paid extra for -- that someone else was sitting in and wouldn't relinquish? Where were the FAs in all of this? Gate agents? Airport security? My first thought is that that person should be considered an unruly passenger and threatened with removal from the plane and arrest! And the other passengers were pissed at you? Wow.

I'd at the very least demand a full refund on the spot in this case. Drinks just wouldn't do it.

18. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was to the point if I pressed the issue it would have been a major situation involving TSA, no question. However, this was a packed plane on a Friday afternoon full of New Yorkers, like myself, who wanted to get to Vegas ASAP. My window seat was not worth the delay that was coming. I have no other way to describe the situation, absurd. I wanted to get there more then anyone so I just bit the bullet. It's very messed being the only one standing without a seat when it's time to take off.

19. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm assuming you were flying from NYC-LAS? If so, that's quite a long flight to sit in the middle seat! I hope you sent an e-mail to the airline mentioning your experience on that flight! Hopefully, they actually read it and refund you the money that you paid.

Shame on the FA for not telling the PAX to move. :nono:

20. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently flew on Southwest

At the last minute two young teen girls showed up on the plane.

We were asked if anybody would move so the two girls could sit together.
    Everybody stayed quiet.

My thoughts were that they should have arrived early at the gate and asked for their "special need" to seat together. They would have been able to sit together.

Then I heard that the teens could sit on aisle seats across from eachother.
    They had to go way back in the plane to find the seats.

It was only a 40 minute flight so I didn't think it was important for them to have to sit together. Besides they were super late to get on the plane. The
    plane door was already closed when they showed up all of a sudden.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.