1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best breakfast buffet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by ah6tyfour, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a search and was surprised to find only one thread asking the same thing, but there weren't any responses that matched what I was looking for.

I have some friends flying into town early, so I'm planning on taking them to a breakfast buffet (two of them are breakfast fanatics...they'd take the lobster and salmon roe frittata at Tableau vs Lobster pot pie at Michael Mina any day of the week, maybe even twice in one day).

Which buffet in town has the best weekday breakfast buffet that has actual interesting items? I assume it's down to Bacchanal, Cosmo, Wynn, and Bellagio.

I'm a big fan of Bacchanal, but I have no idea what breakfast there is like. Nobody on Yelp really talks about the breakfast buffet there, but they do talk about the breakfast buffet at Cosmo.

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No clue about Bacchanal and Cosmo, but Bellagio and Wynn are both excellent. I'd give the edge to Wynn, but that's just me.

3. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does "interesting items" mean to you? Like actual breakfast items, or more brunch-y type stuff?

4. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Skip the Planet Hollywood breakfast buffet. It's better for lunch.

Paris has a long line but delicious coffee and crepes.

5. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

I haven't had Caesars or Cosmo for breakfast, but I like that Wynn and Bellagio both have a decent selection of Asian breakfast items in addition to the American breakfast options. I find Wynn food to have a simpler, lighter taste while Bellagio is heavier and more complex. I prefer Bellagio myself.

6. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing specific, just something more interesting than a stack of normal french toast next to a stack of plain pancakes, with a pan full of Farmer Brown's breakfast sausage.

One or two varieties of eggs benedict, french toast that has some sort of orange zest in it, nice breakfast sausage, etc. Bonus for nice plating. If a buffet serves "Valencia orange zest-infused French toast with blood orange and mint compote" with fresh whipped cream made in-house, that's the buffet I'm looking for.

I'm not really a breakfast person and, to me, not much can really change about breakfast, so I'm trying to figure out where to go where they will get unlimited amounts of breakfast items that are actually creative.

I guess ideally we'll go for breakfast and then stick around as they transition to lunch so there's more variety.

I wish they were coming on a weekend so I could take them to Border Grill's brunch.

Are the crepes different from the ones they offer during the rest of the day as part of dessert?

So we're at 1 for Bellagio and 1 for Wynn. haha. Now I feel like I should try Cosmo or Bacchanal just so I can review it.

7. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I am of the ilk that believes breakfast buffies should be done inexpensively. That said I LOVE the Orleans. I might also consider the Rio's if ya want a step up.

8. James G

James G Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done Sunday brunch buffet at the Orleans twice. Once in 2007 and once in Feb and both times it was was very nasty. The last time I was there a few months ago I saw them spraying water from bottles (the kind you put ketchup and mustard in) in the the hot cereal and other items that were getting dried up from the lights keep them warm while getting food. I was so grossed out. The only reason why we ate here was because I had just checked into our room and I was dying of hunger. We spent $54 for me my wife and 2 kids (5 & 9). Totally not worth it and the free Mimosa... Super Nasty.

Now that's just me...

I rather take that money and go to Studio B @ The M.

Breakfast :
    Mon. - Fri. 8:00am-10:30am $10.99:ssst:
    Children 5 years – 8 years $7.99:ssst:

:drunk:

9. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is going to sound like the ultimate First World Problem, but they specifically said they have been to breakfast/brunch at Bouchon too many times and they want something new. They also eat at Tableau often (and they're staying in a Tower Suite, so I assume they get their free Tableau breakfast each morning).

They're from the Bay Area which has incredible places for breakfast. So the best I can do is find somewhere that has a fun breakfast and the Vegas part will be that they can eat all they want instead of buying 1 waffle with fresh/organic/from-the-farmers-market-mere-hours-ago fruit on top for $18.99.

I wish Border Grill or MOzen offered their brunch buffets on weekdays. Depending on how things go, I can take them to either of those the next day.

I love food, but I know absolutely nothing about breakfast. My breakfast usually consists of a protein bar or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

11. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess Bacchanal will be our choice tomorrow. I'll be back with a review.

What sold me was a few yelp pics of breakfast offerings. Red velvet pancakes, maple syrup tater tots, and even smoked salmon plated to look impressive:
    Bagel and lox sans bagel

And it looks like they know how to cook an egg:
    Skirt steak and egg

12. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    James G .. I have done the breakfast buffy MANY times over the years and have enjoyed it. Never an issue. However I am ( ESP when it comes to breakfast) just want simple stuff... waffles some bacon or sausage some fruit etc.... I am not into "fancy stuff" at breakfast. I don't do eggs ( texture issue) as a rule, so omelets eggs benedicts etc. aren't for me. So that's why I said Orleans. And to add I haven't been there for a few years so it may have gotten worse That's why I also said Rio for the step up. As I haven't been to the M I cannot comment on that.

13. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have tried all except Bacchanal. Bellagio is solid and Wynn is slightly better, but Cosmo beats them both. First of all they dont do breakfast its a brunch and is open 8am-2pm. Since its a brunch it has more options and variety then the regular breakfast buffets. I also love that they have a lot more international offerings.

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breakfast is quite subjective. Some want a well-prepared traditional American breakfast. Others want specialties such as crepes and the like. Still others care more about pastries.

That being said, Paris has a very consistently good breakfast buffet with both traditional and specialty items and pastries galore. It's not cheap.

For a traditional breakfast, Flamingo buffet has been well prepared on the last trip a few weeks ago. It is, however, expensive for what you get.

Sams Town breakfast buffet, much cheaper, is good for the price but way out in the middle of nowhere.

15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Paris buffet isn't the largest but it is one serving many choices of fresh stuff. The crepes and eggs/omelets are made fresh to order.

16. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you will be very happy with Baccabal did it for breakfast last month and it was great. Many items I have never seen on other buffets.

17. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have always enjoyed Paris buffet as well as that at the Bellagio. We are omelet fans and both places make them to order. We did notice when we were at the B a few weeks ago that there is a newly added large spread of sliced cheese and olives . I am guessing that a large number of their guests are from out of the country and this may be a preferred option for many of them

18. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

19. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reporting back:

We ended up at Bacchanal. Bacchanal is a buffet that I've been a big supporter of since opening, but the breakfast I was not quite impressed with. The potential is there, but the problem is that there is not enough food turnover because breakfast is not a very popular meal in Vegas (who wakes up at 7am in Vegas to go to breakfast?).

First, the good:
    This was definitely the correct buffet to go to for unique/special items. They had nicely plated yogurt parfaits and a very delicious acidic and minty fruit salad. They had some really good mini quiches. The corned beef has had a sunny-side-up quail egg on top. The egg on the steak & eggs and on the eggs benedict was well-cooked. They had slab bacon at the carving station that was excellent. And they had cornflake-crusted french toast which was nice (and seems to be very "trendy" right now). They also had a pearl sugar waffle with cinnamon that was amazing. It was sweet and caramelized and crunchy. I could have eaten five of those. All in all, it was a very impressive spread.

The BEST thing they offered was the fresh juices. They tasted so refreshing and looked great at the buffet line. The tropical one is my favorite, although watermelon and cucumber aren't far behind. I have also seen these juices during lunch, but they all get dumped down the drain at the 3pm dinner change-over.

Then, the not so good:
    Apparently breakfast items don't hold for very long. Croque madame goes soggy and congealed very quickly. Hollandaise sauce starts to solidify or break. Red velvet pancakes dry out. The well-cooked eggs take on a very weird texture (they don't continue cooking, they just crust over). Nothing tasted fresh or hot, which is a complaint I often have with Wicked Spoon, but never with Bacchanal until this time. I also did not like that the omelette station was very generic. This is Bacchanal, one of the top buffets in Vegas. They should make available a few specialized ingredients. I would have loved a shrimp or crab omelette.

In essence, it was a fine experience and one that could have been better had the food not sat out for so long. My friends still had a great time and we stayed for over two hours in the great environment of that buffet, so it ended up being just fine.

The buffet was $24.99 with Total Rewards card ($25.99 without). Would I have enjoyed the $32 lobster and salmon roe frittata at Tableau more? Probably. But that $32 would not cover the 6-8 glasses of fresh juice I drank, or the coffee, or the many pastries I had, or the bowl of pho.

20. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

How very true about breakfast not being conducive to a buffet. The nature of breakfast items needing lower holding temps does not lend itself well to sitting out for an extended period of time and staying warm. For example, a chunk of prime rib retains heat quite well compared to a pancake or eggs benny. Likewise with hash browns compared to a baked potato.
    There is really no solution to the breakfast buffet dilemma other than to dine at a sit-down place instead.
    Not a big fan of breakfast buffets and rarely eat at them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.