1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airline manners.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by freddywill, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freddywill

freddywill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do you do when you have crying and screaming kids on your flight to Vegas. This is one of my most pet peeves about flying.

I just put turn my ipod on and take a couple of tylenol pms and I should be good to go. But the only problem is its at least a 5 and a half hour flight from Hawaii.:cry:

2. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pray to God they are not sitting close to me...and if they are, I get a drink as fast as I can. With long flights...turbulence ...delays....prices...cramped seating...ect ect...I'am more than happy I paid the extra 10 bucks to get early bird boarding to be away from you!:poke:

3. Jameezy

Jameezy RIP Riviera

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My flight is only an hour so not a big deal. Like a guy sitting next to me on my last trip said "You could sit on the airplanes wing for an hour". Usually my Vegas hyped up adrenaline gets me through the hour without realizing much around me.

4. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We rarely have kids on our Vegas flights. Kids are one reason I don't go to Florida. No matter what the noise distraction, I always have my ipod and noise cancelling headphones with me...if my eyes are closed I don't even hear the stewardess ask me if I want something to drink and I always miss the captains announcements. A little medicinal help is always in me, which doesn't hurt.

5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of stiff drinks usually takes care of the problem.

And a couple for me as well.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ear plugs. Although I should invest in a pair of noise cancelling headphones.

7. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a L O N G flight. I use Bose, Booze and tripping them when they go down the aisle.

8. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My noise cancelling headphones are one of the best purchases I've ever made. I fly a good bit for work, and they do a great job shutting out noise. Not just crying kids, but annoying adults too.

As for the original question: I confess, I really don't care for kids, but I still try to be sympathetic and patient. If I can see the parent(s) is really trying to comfort and quiet the child, I will have a drink, put on my headphones and let it go. I can't imagine how mortifying it must be not just to have your kid melt down on a plane, but even just getting on and knowing every single person is praying you don't sit near them.

However, if the parents are lousy and not trying to settle the kid down, I've been known to shoot a dirty look or two. And then get another drink.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of my flights are an hour, so not enough time to get truly annoyed, plus the fact that I've "been there", as have most of you, usually means I have some sympathy for trying to travel with small children and what the parent(s) are going through. Agreed on the noise-cancelling headphones though... what a difference they make!

10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it was my second or third trip to Vegas I was in the middle of two strangers. A fat guy on my left, and an older guy was on the right by the window. We started taxiing the runway and the older guy looks at me- says well, good night. Puts his head against the window and doesn't wake up until the tires hit the runway. No headphones on or anything. Kinda jealous of that guy now looking back.

11. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like me.

12. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where does he get off talking to you?! :wink2:

13. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a kid who can scream.. but he doesn't. I have always been that kind of person who never minded it, even before i had kids. I guess I would just drink or sit far away if I hated the kids or they cried too much..

14. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got that right! BOSE QC3's! The best $349.00 I've ever spent! I NEVER fly without them.
    Mine are now 7 years old and I recently replaced the original ear pads. Next time a kid is crying
    stick your fingers in your ears real tight! That's how I would describe the Bose noise cancellation.
    And they sound great! So as long as the kid is not kicking the back of my seat then I'm happy!

15. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the big reasons why I only fly first on flights over 2 hours. Leave the screaming kids in the back. The other thing is I never travel without my Bose noise canceling headphones and iPod. Just turn the volume up and I never hear a thing.

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew from Vancouver to Hawaii last week. I was impressed, there was a 2 month old baby with parents in the seats right behind me. The baby cried once during the entire 5 and a half hour flight, right when the plane took off the baby cried for a few seconds but I guess the mom let the baby suckle to handle the air pressure change and I didn't hear from the kid the rest of the flight.

I thanked the parents and told them that I was impressed how they handled their kid and kept him quiet on the whole flight. they said that it was their first flight with the newborn so they guessed they were lucky. Others around also made the same comment. No so lucky the 2 or 3 other kids 7 or 8 rows ahead of me and behind me who cried a lot of the flight.

It is surprising that many parents don't understand that the babies start crying because the kid can't handle the air pressure changes and cry because their eardrums hurt. This couple understood that and made sure that their kid could handle the air pressure changes, a rare feat nowadays.

17. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can still hear them in business class, are there some special soundproof doors leading to the first class cabins? That's not meant to be taken sarcastically by the way.

Personally, the only time it bothers me is on night flights. Babies should be barred by law from overnight flights as nobody gets any sleep.

18. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not bothered much at all by an infant crying due to discomfort. It's the 2 1/2 year old having a screaming hissy fit because he wants to get up and run around that cuts through me like a knife. My husband swears I have some kind of different hearing, because I can hear a toddler screaming or shrieking across a crowded restaurant when he doesn't hear a thing. It's almost impossible for me to just ignore it.

19. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Grandpa had the greatest case of selective hearing of anyone I've EVER known... he could hear a ball-game on a battery-powered transistor radio from 3 rooms away, but he couldn't hear my Grandma for shit, unless she was calling him for dinner!!! Used to crack us up!!! :evillaugh

20. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The smells on the flight back from Vegas bother me more than kids crying. Atleast I can take care of one with my ipod. The other one, Id need a gas mask for and I doubt I could get one past security lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.