1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best BBQ in town?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by ardee, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas used to be a desert (hah!) when it came to decent BBQ. Now there seem to be dozens of places offering up their smokey selections. The wife and I will be in town several times this summer and don't mind driving a bit if necessary. So where's your favorite BBQ joint, and why are they so good?

2. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the price and the size of the portion, and a 2 for 1 coupon Ellis Island is where we go. Plus the food is pretty darn good.

3. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

You can't beat the price of Ellis Island's ribs and they are tasty, but they're not smoked. If you want smoked meats try Rollin Smoke BBQ. They're not far from the strip on Highland Dr. Closed Sundays and open late Fri/Sat. They are family owned from Arkansas. Their pulled pork is fantastic and the brisket is pretty good, my first visit I was less impressed by it, but the second was considerably better. I haven't tried the ribs yet. Two meat combos are pictured ($10.99): pork and brisket, all brisket (they got my order wrong but it was a happy accident; it made me try the brisket again and it won me over).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ORANGEGREY

ORANGEGREY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Memphis Championship BBQ!!!

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too like the Memphis BBQ's... I've been to the one on Warm Springs (not too far from the rental-car center) and out on Nellis I think (NE Las Vegas)... I'm not sure if they have more?

6. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love BBQ, and Ellis Island wins for my best BBQ like anywhere. But that's just me.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yay!!! Sco's back!!!!! Whoo-hoo! :beer:

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That last sentence is about as wise at it can get on this subject. Because all there is is each of us and what we like!

What is BBQ? What is "best"? If live embers and an open grill is BBQ in Texas then it is when the same is done in CA, though the Carolinas and Memphis might have something to say about both. What EI does is not, if using the same definition, barbecue. Or what about Hawaiian imu ... America's FIRST barbecue tradition!

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All so subjective. We had a newspaper food critic who insisted that if the ribs fell off the bone, they were way over cooked. Sorry, but that is how I like my ribs.:poke:

10. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree.

11. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And I, OTOH, would agree with the critic.

Unless they are hiding a smoker out back, I don't consider Ellis Island "BBQ."

Rollin' Smoke looks mighty good. They have greens, hush puppies and fried okra on the menu too, which is a good sign. As is the noticable absence of plates.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always thought a proper rib -- St. Louis cut, tyvm -- should have bones that pull away with only a bit of hesitation.

13. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having lived all over the US, as some of the posters have mentioned, BBQ means different things to different people. In Kansas City, they do a drier version of ribs that is totally different from what you'd get in Tennessee. Both are great to me. I'm less of a fan of the vinegar based stuff in the carolinas -- I think honestly it's harder to do and is only good if done perfectly.

Not sure why I felt the need to post that -- I really can't add to BBQ in vegas thoughts because I don't eat BBQ in Vegas. To me, BBQ and seafood are definitely done better elsewhere in the US, so I don't waste my Vegas meals on those things when there are so many things that Vegas does well.

14. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ill second rollin smoke
    :thumbsup:

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree!

However, BBQ is sooooooo subjective.

16. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Concerning ribs that tenderly fall off the bone - that is cool, if indeed the ribs were smoked.
    However, I've heard of places that boil the ribs to ensure tenderness. Sure, they're of supreme fall-off-the-bone quality, but the meaty flavor is lost in the liquid. Unsavory rib joints that partake in this practice justify it by excess coatings of BBQ sauce on the meat.
    The absolute worst offenders are those that discard that same liquid. If you're going to boil your ribs, at least save the broth for practical cooking uses.

17. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  18. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love this place. It's a hike if you don't have a car. One time I was there some guys had cabbed from strip and it was like $45 one way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.