1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

More Mlife strangeness

Discussion in 'Comps' started by wormhole, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last November, I stayed at MC on an offer for 3 comped nights in a Monaco suite and $75 freeplay. When I went to get the freeplay activated, the clerk was not able too, so he got his boss involved. After several minutes of poking around in their computer system, his boss said the clerk didn’t have high enough access to take care of me (???). He got my freeplay activated, but at $150, twice what I was offered. OK, I won’t complain. When I check with my host the evening before leaving, she used about $130 of my ECs. Part of that was to cover the resort fee (GRRR!). First time I have been hit with that on a comped room. She said I was overcomped. First time I have been told that, too.

Now for the strange part. Since the first of the year, MC has been sending me a “Feel Rich” offer for 5 comped nights in a deluxe room, $100 freeplay, 2 for 1 show tickets and recently included entry in a drawing for a 7 night cruise. If the 3 night deal was overcomped, why this? I have never had a 5 night offer before. I realize it is a lower level room, but it still surprised me.

2. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part of what confuses me here is why a host was involved at all.

Was this a marketing offer? If so, the host isn't taking care of your charges in any way. You booked the offer, you simply wanted the terms of your offer honored. There's no reason for anyone to be touching your express comps.

On the other hand, if you asked them to take care of some of your room charges, above and beyond whatever was included within your marketing offer, then I can see why they would take away your ECs.

Otherwise, I would fight tooth and nail to get those returned...

I've never been charged for a resort fee on a comped room. I am a mLife Platinum; I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, just providing a data point. I also don't stay at the MC, usually MGM, Bellagio, etc. So this may vary by property. Generally though, I would fight this too.

Did you book this with a host, or with VIP reservations? Was this a marketing offer, or just a deal you worked out with your host?

Please clarify - thanks!

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a recent trip with Aria and Mirage... the "overcomped" thing came up more at both places. They must really be clamping down on hosts.

Part of the deal, even with marketing offers, you start off the trip in the hole - comp wise.

4. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just curious how/why the host got involved in the first place.

I specifically avoid dealing with a host now, because my marketing offers are finally decent enough that I don't really want/expect anything in excess of them. In other words, my play doesn't justify anything above and beyond what I get in the mail.

If someone randomly happened by and ate up my express comps, as some sort of preemptive credit against my "overcomped" marketing offer, I would be incensed. The marketing offer is the only reason I'm staying there - it's an upfront comp, in writing. While I realize the fine print gives them some leeway, I'd need to basically no-play them before I think any preemptive action on their part would be warranted.

This is why I'm curious if the OP booked this through a host, or through VIP services/reservations.

5. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the higher level guys down to we lowly green (and red) chip players, it seems that the buzz word du jour is "overcomped." I've heard and read a ton of this lately and experienced it myself. Granted, I have been overcomped a couple of times, but when people are overplaying their offers and still being told they are being overcomped, it makes you wonder if management is telling everyone to let players know they are "overcomped" so they feel lucky or privileged to have gotten what they got.

I would be insulted by paying resort fees on a comped room unless that was made clear up front. I understand some places like NYNY are known to do this, but I think it's trashy and sneaky. Those services don't cost any more to them to provide to one comped guest, so I don't understand the nickle and dime approach.

If I were you, I would call VIP services and have them put you in touch with someone you can complain to...or at least seek answers from. It never hurts

6. lvmb

lvmb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MC has always charged the resort fee when I've stayed on a marketing comp. It's one more thing to eat up my express comps. I think Polemarch28 may have a point about level, since I'm only Gold compared to his/her Platinum.

I've always been "overcomped" or had a host tell me there's nothing more they can do too.

My guess is that lately they've burned a massive part of the marketing budget on the freebies to the MyVegas crowd and the comps are funding it.

My last stay was on a "Feel Rich" offer, but unlike the OP mine haven't gone up. The offers got lower up until May and I haven't received a June one at all yet!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  7. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the one reason i like cet properties for low or mid level table players you get tons of free rooms and a little food no host to deal with.
    i think it is your best bang for your buck espeacialy before they started the resort fee crap, but cet doesnt monitor the 4 hour a day rule as much as mgm .

i gave mgm some good play and didnt get much from the.i droped around 10 to 15 grand in 3 days at mirage and Bellagio in a very quick time on bj minium 200 and up a hand .all i got was a 3 nite comped at mirage no other properties and after the first offer nothing more than reduced rates.
    so i think for my play cet give the best bang gamble as i want and they take care of the rooms. and trow me some food.

8. tacallian

tacallian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the appropriate response to being told you were overcomped is "That's excellent news".

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind being told that I'm overcomped, because I usually already know it and I'm just trying to get everything I can. but what pisses me off is when I have a huge trip and don't spend much, my host never tracks me down to tell me I have comps available and to take home a couple of bottles of wine or whatever. it's always a one way street. that's why it doesn't bother me when I end up overcomped some trips.

10. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bad for not saying it was a marketing offer that I booked through VIP services. I did not even know I had a host assigned to me until I arrived and got to talking to the person at the VIP desk. He is the one who told me her name. I found her office the evening before I left. She told me she couldn't much for me at the level of play for that trip. The only thing I charged to my room was meals. I don't know how much the doubling of my freeplay affected this (I assumed the doubling was a mistake).

11. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    did they comp the meals you charged to the room (either directly or using ECs)?

12. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah - if it's a marketing offer, then a host shouldn't even be involved, unless you're asking for comps above and beyond your marketing offer. I could see them removing EC's to take care of room charges that weren't included in your upfront offer. Even though I'm against that practice (I'd rather bank my ECs for later, and insist that the host use my primary comps), I can at least see the reasoning.

But if they took your ECs away and provided nothing in excess of your marketing offer, I'm not sure how they can justify that. You may be overcomped - who really knows (to answer that we'd need a detailed play history and a full accounting of the internal costs of everything they comped you), but it's not right for a host to involve herself needlessly in your stay, then spend the comps you've earned (most likely on other trips) to pay for your upfront marketing offer. Completely unacceptable.

But now you're telling us you stopped by the host's office to see what they could do for you. I'm confused.

13. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monte Carlo is pretty liberal with that feel rich offer.

14. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they did.

15. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My intent was to make sure everything was covered (it was). I did not expect them to use some of the ECs. But the main point of my OP was that I was surprised to receive the 5 comped nights and $100 freeplay Feel Rich offer after being told I was overcomped on the 3 night offer.

16. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently so, since I was told I was overcomped on the previous 3 night stay.

17. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like they use the "overcomped" excuse so they can use some of your ECs...this prevents people from building up a bunch of ECs and blowing them on expensive stuff that the hotel would normally makes more money on from larger mark ups.

I have never heard of anyone being "overcomped" and asked to pay out of pocket...usually it is just covered with ECs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.