1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NOW YOU SEE ME - Vegas magicians movie

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by sammasseur, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw this tonight and it was excellent. Limited scenes in Vegas - the first big showpiece takes place at the MGM Grand, the main characters are staying at Aria. Mark Ruffalo plays an FBI agent and has scenes at their building downtown. Very exciting film, lots of twists and surprises. Highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    critics were hard on it, 44%, regular people like us were 77%

3. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't wait to see this.

I don't want to read reviews because I am sure someone will spoil it.

Someone always does.

It seems a movie like this can easily be spoiled.

4. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see a lot of movies and I was highly entertained by this movie. Sometimes I just don't get critics I read a review of this in USA today and I wondered if this guy even watched the movie. I am recommending this to all my friends my favorite this summer so far.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Critics always pan good, everyday man movies. They then tell you movies like The Kings Speech are excellent, and then you go to watch those types of movies and either fall asleep or find they are total suck fests. Critics seem to love crap movies.

6. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Critics don't seem to understand that films can be fun without a highbrow lesson or culture involved. There are movies as art, then there are movies as entertainment. Both categories have junk and treasures. This is a terrific "popcorn movie" with plenty of entertaining moments. You know that's the case when the audience applauds at the end, which is what happened at the screening I attended last night. Makes all the difference in the world.

Now, I tend to believe that Will Smith's new movie is crap. Critics and viewers alike are putting it down severely. The previews alone make it's awfulness quite clear. But I'm going today anyway. Call me stoooopid. :ssst:

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will Smith's movie just looks bad, even from the ads. Thanks for your review on this one...I read the critics and had thought I wouldn't see it, but now I will.

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. You nailed it!

9. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Critics are just people who weren't good enough to get a job in the profession they pass judgement on.

Just to clear - that statement doesn't include journalists who occasionally review things.

10. npom

npom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in Vegas when they filmed this. Have been waiting for it to come out so I could go see it.

11. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering, when were you in Vegas? I've been curious how long it takes from the filming to actual release. Some movies seem to be "coming soon" FOREVER maybe the Epic movies take lots of time editing..

12. Quixote

Quixote Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a caper movie, it does its job well. You identify with the con men, you get to see how they pull it off, and there's a definite "rob from the rich, give to the poor" vibe.

Where the movie falls down is in the chemistry/romance of the two cop characters (Ruffalo and Laurent). They didn't have any of the former, which makes the latter the most unbelievable part of the movie. Thankfully, that aspect of the film is minor compared to the actual tricks.

I enjoyed it and it's a wonderful spectacle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.