1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker $1834 Royal at the .25 level???

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by tmaas21, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alright, I'm not a VP expert but have ventured into the game over the past few months. And I think I know a good thing when I see it...

I'm currently in Vegas - and for those of you that have read my previous TRs, I enjoy playing VP and eating/drinking at Hooters. Well....the royal jackpot is over 1800 right now. The bartender explained the jump is bc they've moved some machines, got rid of some, whatever....

This has my attention - and I've spent many waking moments chasing it.

I've also altered basic strategy once in a while to chase it. This may not be recommended, but I feel the risk is worth the reward.

I hate to give away this secret....but just got to a hotel with "free" Internet so I could post this on my iPad, instead of iPhone. I have pics of the payouts, but don't know how to transfer them on over here.

I'm on day 5 of a 12 day trip...I'll start on my TR tonight hopefully.

2. RIRugrat

RIRugrat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go for it! Best of luck!

(maybe it will be over 2k when I get there in 2 weeks)

3. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Goodluck chasing hope ya catch em:beer:

4. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will see if this works...

Attached Files:

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, yes, you should change your strategy when the jackpot is $1800. At this level, all three to a Royal draws are better than high pair in JoB/DDB, or 2 pair in DDB. And non-Ace high royal draws are even better than AA in DDB.

I hate to burst your bubble a bit though, unless the base paytables are higher than I expect, the progressive isn't a profitable game yet. Still worth playing versus most quarter machines on the Strip though. If you can give the whole paytable then you can figure out the exact strategy.

6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

It works out to a 98.66% return with that progressive. About 2% higher than normal 8/5 DDB would give you and even better than most $1 games I've seen on the strip.

Nice find. Good luck!

7. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's always fun when the prog royals start approaching double their starting point of 4000 credits!

A $0.25 VP royal doesn't reach 1800 too often from what I recall seeing, but it does happen here and there. In fact I hit one at TI for 2200 a few years ago.

I've also dumped Benjamin after Benjamin into a $1 Prog VP, chasing the huge 13k+ royal jackpot. Never did hit it that night, but when I returned the next day to check it out, it was gone. Apparently some lady snapped it at like 7am or something. Now that's a sweet payday on a dollar machine! :trophy

8. dunebug81

dunebug81 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at a Vons getting some groceries one night when staying with a frien who lives in Vegas and they had some VP machine with an almost $12,000 royal progressive on about 6 different $1 games. I thought about coming back with $2000 and give it a run for its money but all the pay tables were 6/5 jacks kinda bad! Never been back to that store so not sure when/if it hit but a nearly triple royal jackpot was mighty tempting.

9. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will see this fairly often on bar top machines. What happens is people will play 1 or 2 coins at a time (less than 5) and hit the royal so the progressive does not reset, but keeps on building. Definitely worth investing a few bucks on, but don't get sucked in too heavy as that could easily continue to grow for another day or two.

10. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can be guilty of this. I want my drinks from the bar as cheap as possible. I haven't hit a Royal short-coining though. *Looks for a piece of wood to knock*

11. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah - It has kept things interesting. I haven't put any more money towards it than I usually would....just more time and Budweiser.
    Tomorrow is the day I take it off the board :beer:

I just like Hooters. Had a great craps session there on Monday.

12. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hooters has better VP elsewhere, even for quarters, even with that progressive. Their bartops pay about 2% less than a lot of their games on the floor.

With that said, you have to love that jackpot for quarters. Good luck.

13. KingBBInLV

KingBBInLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of the $1 denom progressives at Von's start at $10,000 but as others have said they also have very very bad pay tables. Usually DDB is 6/5 for their payouts.

There used to be a bar at the corner of Durango and Flamingo that started their $1 denom 5 coin VP progressive at $10,000 and their 25 cent denom 5 coin progressive at $2,500! Last time I was at that bar was last year so I don't know if they still do it.

14. dunebug81

dunebug81 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didnt know they started at $10,000. I suppose they can afford to do that if their paytables are low enough. I think it would feel weird playing VP in a grocery store. A few hands while you're wife is getting a starbucks, sure...but not putting in hundred after hundred...altho I'm sure there are people that do it.

15. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tringlomane -your post reminded me of something that I witnessed once in Laughlin about 10 years ago.

I was playing at the bar at what was called the Ramada Express at that time. Real fun bar and they had a progressive quarter bank that was around $2300 or so. Guy walks up to an empty machine and starts playing one at a time prior to ordering his beer so the beer would be comped. Gets his beer and about 5 seconds later I see him turn white - he was dealt the royal! And just as this was happening his wife walked up behind him. She looked down and saw the royal but didn't realize he was short playing it. Well, when he confessed he only won 250 quarters instead of $2300 his wife went absolutely "ape shit" on him. She was hitting him with her purse and screaming, cussing and swearing at him. She called him every name in the book. Finally security came over to try and quiet her down but she kept right on. It was one of the better fights I have seen.

The other thing you sometimes have to watch is the buttons sticking, or not sticking on the machines. With all of the drinks and sodas that get spilled on the machines, some of the hold buttons don't always stick. If you play really fast and just tap the button quickly it doesn't always hold the card. I was playing at the old Stardust and the royal was in the $1700 range. Guy next to me starts going banana's - he had pressed the hold button on 3 to the royal and drew the other 2 cards - problem was, the 3rd card didn't stay held! He raised hell and insisted on getting paid. They called security and a supervisor who brought in a slot tech to look at the machine - the whole time the supervisor was pointing at the sticker on the machine which read something like "It is the players responsibility to ensure... ". Not sure if he ever got paid or not as they were still going back and forth when I left.

16. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The royal has been hit....and not by me.

A 75 year old lady hit it late Wednesday night. She was trying to give it back this afternoon while I was having wings. Lol.

Thought somebody might like the update so they don't make a trip for nothing.

17. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear you didn't hit it. And people like that lady are good reasons they throw progressives in at the bar...lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.