1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I Bow Out

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Snowbelle3, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

After a whirlwind 20 days in Vegas, I have decided to take a 2 year hiatus...from Vegas.

Don't get me wrong; the trip was a BLAST and a half! However it is time for a curtain call on frequent trips to Vegas.

With that, I shall provide my trip report within the coming week.

2. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20 days? Wow, that's almost double my longest trip! Two years sounds like a long time to wait to return, though. It was great meeting you, and I look forward to reading your report.

3. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL Thanks atom! It was great meeting you as well. More thoughts to come :thumbsup:

4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

20 days !....?
    Yup...beats my record of 10 days - back when I first
    started going to Vegas.
    My friends couldn't believe I stayed 10 days.
    So....why the hiatus ?

5. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What?!?!?!

Don't wanna go back for two years after a Vegas trip?!?!?!

I thought I had the trademark on saying that after every trip report (and then going back to Vegas within 6 weeks):evillaugh

Actually I applaud you making it 20 days. I think the most I ever made it was 11 and I was begging my captors for mercy by that point. Can't wait for your full report!

6. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bet a lot of folks would swear off Vegas and gambling FOREVER after 20 days! Maybe you're just suffering from temporary burnout. I'll look forward to reading your TR, though I doubt anyone would be too surprised if you change your mind before the 2 years is up. Good luck with whatever else you end up doing for fun!

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 years? sounds rash. it will wear off. seriously I've come back from trips and swore I wasn't going back for a long time. within a month I had already booked my next trip.

8. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, I think that is a natural reaction to a 20 day trip in the land of sensory overload.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over the years, I say I'm burned out on Vegas and going to take a break. Two months later I'm looking at airfare prices.

But damn, 20 days! My longest trip ever was 6 days.:drunk:

10. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After a couple of trips I've thought my Vegas addiction had run its course. But, within a few months I started jonesing again. In July 2004 we spent 11 days in Vegas and I was definitely ready to be home. Two weeks later I'd booked at trip flor December. l am looking forward to reading your report.

later, GVJ

11. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spent 11 days in Vegas last Oct/Nov for SEMA...it was 7 days too long! My body was hurtin, my liver was hurtin, and my wallet was definitely hurtin!! I said I was Vegas'd out for awhile...went back in March for a wedding and got the bug again...now I have atleast two trips planned over the next 3 months and then gonna headin back for Thanksgiving.

We gonna take bets on how long this "2 year" hiatus really lasts? ;-)

12. Kagedawg

Kagedawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will take the under on the two years:Þ

13. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's 2 years since my last trip to the day. I remember that since I tried to get tix to the Billboard Music Awards and that was this past weekend. After annual or semi annual trips the past 7 years, being gone for 2 years now makes me appreciate the Vegas experience even more now. I've got a trip planned for August and now I'm enjoying planning it all out, something I took for granted my last few trips. Enjoy the break from Vegas. When you return, the city will seem new again.

14. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just returned from trip #19. It was a solo trip to use my airfare from SWA before it expired. I took a long weekend flying out Saturday morning from NH and landing in LV just before 1PM. Flying in from the east coast and having to return in 4 days is too short for my liking.....I take an afternoon flight home so that I can get a good night's sleep, a good breakfast and can pack and checkout without rushing and not worry about betting to the airport. I arrive home about midnight so the whole day is transportation.

Most of my trips have been to a trade show in FEB. My stay is usually 9 days 8 nights. The show takes up 4 days and I have some extra time to see some shows, take an alternative flight if one is overbooked, go out with fellow tradesmen that I have befriended over the years, or day trip. I have no great desire to travel, for the sake of "seeing" things or taking pictures. I like LV because I can satisfy my desire for big city life, shows, exhibits, as well as a break from the daily routine. There are few places with the variety of things available as LV, and few places where you can vacation as cheap, except for camping. As I semi-retire I think I would like to head out twice a year. My main one would still be in the winter. The second would be for 5 or 6 days at another time of year but not in the hottest month in the summer. In between the trips is the fun of taking notes here, researching, checking flights, prices, hotels, trips, shows, etc.

I started in 1997, and I'm not sick of Vegas yet.....besides.....they change it every year for me!

Jimbo338

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like every other decision bandied about here, the duration of your hiatus comes down to only one thing, S: what you want to do with your time and dollars.

Back when we were traveling to Vegas every month, and every two or three weeks at times, if you'd have told me I'd take a three-year break* I'd have said you're nuts. Hell, if you said it would be three months I'd have been shocked. When I go over in August for the PGA show it will be three years.

Our move, other travel opportunities, work priorities and the simple fact that while we like to gamble we can go without it, all have come together to produce what might appear an aberrant interlude. But I'm really looking forward to the August trip and a few of the golf boyz are gonna pop in for a few rounds so it will be kinda old school all over again. And that's gonna be cool. I know the vibe is alive because we're already kicking it all around in calls and emails three months in advance.

I've long touted that Vegas is a great place even for people who don't gamble, but gambling is for us the glue that binds together all the other stuff -- spa, shopping, food, golf, outdoors -- that we want on vacation. I guess mountains and sea and urbanity and new experiences presently get more votes than gambling. (And a doubling in travel time always has us thinking, "Well, sure, let's go to Vegas, but we could get to _______ or _______ or ________ in the same amount of time.")

I know, it sounds like a Catch-22.

*I've been through Vegas a number of times since August 2010, had a stayover-in-transit, played a good amount of golf, so it's not been totally cold turkey. But effectively none of them were "Vegas" trips. (And I thought it had only been two years, but the time bandits appear to have stolen another year.)

P.S. Our longest stay was 10 nights, I believe. I can do 20 or more in Hawaii, or when we go over to Oz to see the family or NZ, but Vegas? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

16. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taking a vacation from your Vegas vacations I can understand.

I don't WANT to understand that you'll not be posting? Hopefully, that will continue. When I check VMB I always check to see if you've started another thread, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

I'm taking a little break myself. Instead of my normal summer sin city trip, a pal and I are driving to Northstar in North Lake Tahoe for a tennis camp in June for 11 days, what with driving there/back. Hope this 63 year-old can handle the altitude.

I appreciate all of your insights and posts. Take care.

17. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just returned from a 10 day trip and did not want to leave - I am going back in a few weeks for a 15 day stay, and I am sure I will not want to leave then either.

You might think you have to wait two years, but that old itch will be back again before you know it! It is like filling up on turkey on Thanksgiving - after eating all that turkey everyone swears they never want to see another slice of turkey again as long as they live but by Christmas Day they are ready and waiting at the table with fork and knife, eager to dig in!

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can understand that you're engaged now and wanting to settle down, be responsible, other things that take priority and money. That's great. And I know you've thought this out.

But, if I could share my thoughts; Adulthood just drags on and on. There will always be bills and unexpected expenses. There will be stretches of time ahead where you won't be doing anything fun with your vacation time, despite your best efforts. You know that joke "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"? Yeah...I really hate that joke.

You have an extraordinary talent for having a good time in Vegas on a very low budget. That's an amazing skill that will be a tremendous asset in your career and home life. I hope your fiance appreciates that in you because it makes you a good catch and a keeper.

What I'm getting at is; I can see you wanting to focus on other things. But, why not take advantage of the good times while you can? Especially since you know how to do a trip so cheap? Why not switch to a shorter, annual trip? Who knows? Your fiance might turn out to be your best Vegas Buddy?

19. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sometimes take long trips (my next scheduled trip is 12 nights), and many times I swear off future trips after a Vegas overload. My last trip was over six months ago (9 day trip after Thanksgiving), and the close to 9 months off is the longest stretch since 2007.

I typically averaged 2 trips every three years from 1991-2007, but then increased my frequency to 4-6 / year through 2012 due to several factors (many flight vouchers, miles, additional earned time off, my brother move a few years ago, others). I currently plan on returning to my 2-3 trips every 3 year schedule, with longer scheduled trips.

Beyond being less interested in gambling, I also hate flying under the current TSA system, and my interests have shifted interest back to other types of trips (national parks, want to go to Europe / Australia) vs. multiple visits per year to Vegas.

20. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well....I sure HOPE it is not true and I look forward to your report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.