1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas to LA Memorial Day?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Gaggles, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't had to do that drive in a long time and certainly I can't recall on a holiday Monday. I remember doing that drive on a Sunday once or twice and it was bad enough. I also remember being literally at a crawl near Barstow.

Whats that drive going to be like and if we are leaving Vegas by 11:00 will that be too late?

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd get going early morning and just be done with it. When we started going to Vegas in earnest 15 years ago, we could get out at 10 or 11 on those busy days and not get totally jacked, but no more. And remember, you'll be picking up Laughlin and river traffic when the 40 comes in at Barstow and then more congealing when you hit the basin.

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gaggles,

trust me on this one. You need to leave around 6 am, or you are doomed to a 8-10 hr drive back to LA. This is one of the worst weekends for driving back to LA (the last day of a 3 day Holiday weekend).

11 am is prime time when everyone else will be leaving, and it will be a slow crawl all the way back. Mix in an accident, RV on fire on the side of the road (happens a lot coming back from Vegas on these warmer weekends), and you are just going to want to pull your hair out in frustration.

4. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. Actually Vegasbj as soon as I posted this message I thought I should have just texted you and asked directly. So you really think 6 am? Would 8 am be pushing it?

After booking this silly thing a couple months ago I just realized this morning that was an American Holiday and having been there many times for this weekend I know the place is nuts so I figured that Interstate would also be just brutal.

5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    8 am would be the absolute latest I would want to leave. You still may hit some traffic, but you would be ahead of most of the crowd. You need to outthink everyone else leaving that same day. Most people will leave around 11 am out of habit. Then, others will say that they want to get a head start on those people, and you want to be ahead of those people.

6. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ken and VegasBj. I have already emailed Advantage looking to rent between 7-8 am. I just want to ensure I get the car I reserved! I cannot envision LA without a convertible!

I remember many years ago literally being stopped on the Interstate near Barstow and thinking there was an accident and when I rolled down my window and asked a dude he said that was normal. And that was just a random Sunday in July.

Looks like an early bed time and a "day drunk" at Wet Republic. We are at MGM for our first night. Just don't wanna make that drive in traffic and hung over to start my vacation!

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy cruising!

For a time we started holding off and leaving after dinner, but then the 15 would get jacked up and stay that way so we just shifted over to less-peak days going up and back. Way too many horror stories out there from that drive.

What're you doing down south?

8. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are just flying into Vegas for one night then LA for Disneyland, Laguna, perhaps Universal and the Angels-Dodgers game on the 29th. Then back to Vegas on the 30th (which is actually my Annual 35th bday) for four nights with Macker Beejay and crew.

This Memorial Day is really crimping my itinerary!

Not being from LA and only seeing the drive as a Vegas obstacle as most people from LA surely do, I must say I do not mind that drive through the desert.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.