1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Crafsteak, best meal I've had

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by KBT2012, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dined at Craftsteak two nights ago and long story short, it was the best meal I have ever had. I'm not much of a wine drinker so I did NOT have wine with this meal. Me and a buddy went on Tuesday night at 7:30pm, got one of the few booths along the wall, awesome for looking over the restaurant.

I skipped on the appetizer because I wanted to save room for dessert. I started off with a Dogfish head, the only one they offer I believe the 60 IPA, fantastic. I ordered the Domestic Wagyu 10oz Filet and without a doubt, not even close, was the best steak I've ever had out. I've had the filet at Jean Georges, Prime, and SW - granted they weren't Wagyu. For dessert I had the cinnamon monkey bread with ice cream - unbelievable. Fantastic service, great atmosphere and most importantly amazing food. Not only the best tasting meal I've had but also the greatest dining experience overall. Five stars, you cannot go wrong with this place.

2. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I said that after our 1st trip there, it was amazing. Everything was perfect. The only thing I didn't like was the long booths with all the little tables. It kind of feels like you are actually dining with the person in the booth next to you.

However, our 2nd trip, everything was mediocre. My steak was just okay but my husband's Maine lobster pretty much sucked. It was a let down from the 1st time. Every place will have off nights, though, I guess.

Glad you had a good time, I feel it doesn't get enough credit sometimes. :)

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you liked it. Try the Japanese a5 kobe when you get a chance. Beats the pants off domestic "wagyu" which is just a marketing term that means nothing.

4. anonanon

anonanon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always wanted to try this place, glad to see it's living up to it's reputation!

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m batting .750 with Craftsteak. I had one meal there that was pretty mediocre. The other three were absolutely fantastic though.

6. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there last trip, and the bone-in ribeye was excellent as always. One of the few steak places that makes a steak Medium, when you order Medium. Wasn't a medium rare, or medium well - just perfect. Had the assorted mushrooms, mashed potatoes, and the sauteed spinach. We also had the monkey bread for dessert. Don't remember the wine, but it was good as well.

here was a tasty twist that our waiter told us about. With their super creamy mashed potatoes, ask for a side of horseradish, and mix a little into the potatoes. gives it a little kick, and really makes it something different.

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When was the Kobe ban lifted?

P.S. Always nice when someone has an out-of-the-park dining experience.

8. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would eat that steak tartare for a meal, anytime. It is awesome. I enjoyed my one visit there. Followed by "Ka". Anniversary dinner and a show. The company was the best, though. Yep, I still love my wife.

9. egelston2

egelston2 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was 0 for 1 for me. I had the worst caesar salad (no dressing) ever and the main course was only so so. We would probably try it again someday but the service was so bad and the place was half empty that it left a bitter taste in my mouth. The next day we ate at Le Cirque and it was a completely opposite experience.

10. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    middle of last year. I had A5 filet at Le Cirque in Nov and A5 strip at BR Prime at the Beau in Feb.

11. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's unfortunate. The service is what sets this place on top for me and my girlfriend. It is our favorite place to go to in Las Vegas, we make it a point to visit every trip. The steak tartare is a must.

12. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly how I feel. The booths on the outside are great, the tables for two in the center are too close together.

I also had one really awesome meal there and one that was just okay.

13. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten there about 50 times. About 1 of 10 times I have a mediocre experience, the rest of the times its great.

I could just eat the paprika fries and the bread and still be happy.

14. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As already noted, the ban on Japanese beef was lifted last year -- but at that time, no true Kobe beef had ever been imported. In November of 2012, a tiny amount was imported by Fremont Beef (just a few hundred pounds). Since then, a bit more has been imported -- but still a very small amount. The Kobe Beef Marketing Association maintains a website that lists every piece of beef exported -- see http://www.kobe-niku.jp/contents/export/index.php .

Most, and quite probably all, places in Las Vegas that advertise Japanese Kobe are being less than honest. Japanese wagyu? Quite possibly. Japanese Kobe -- very unlikely. If you're being charged a mere $200 or $250, it's less likely still. I heard that the original Old Homestead Steakhouse in New York was offering true Kobe beef for $350 a pop; it doesn't show up on the Las Vegas online menu.

15. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regardless what my steak may or may not have been, whatever they advertised as "Domestic Wagyu" for the 10oz Filet was considerably better than the regular Filet, which my buddy ordered. We both did a side by side comparison and it was night and day - call it what you want, I call it delicious. Lol. I try to make an annual trip with one of my close friends for the past 20 years (friends for this long, not Vegas trips for this long) and we always try a new steakhouse....however this time we have decided Craftsteak is a must every year.

16. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh, I agree that often whatever they're selling as "wagyu" is a very marbled, tender cut. but just like "Certified Angus" or whatever, it's just a brand. if you get a chance to try real Kobe beef, it's night and day compared to the "wagyu" brands.

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update, Larry. I have a friend you should meet, also named Larry. Writes for Forbes, WSJ, many others. Did a good expose a year or two ago on the "Kobe" boondoggle in the states.

18. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure thing, Ken. Indirectly, I have to thank Wikipedia. The article there isn't in the greatest of shape, but I've spent some time trying to make it a little better. This forced me to delve into details far more than any sane person would consider!

19. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up, I will have to give it a try next time out!

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can relate:thumbsup: I just tell my wife I was sucked into the Internet.:evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.